Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    - I -

Continental GP 4000S

I saw the folding version of these at Performance for a regular price of $75 each. $75?!?!

Are these worth $75? If so, what makes them worth it?

Converted Runner
    Get them from Wiggle or some other European seller. I paid something like $80 for a pair plus free shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    That's a bundle. My LBS charges much less than that. I think I get 'em for $50

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Continental has jacked up the prices on all of their new tires. Nice tires ( I currently have Gatorskins on my bike) but not worth it IMO. Pretty hard to find a decent tire for a reasonable price these days for those of us on a budget.

edit: did some quick checking. $56 on sale at Wiggle, prices are way up on Ebay and at various on-line stores. I doubt that you can get them for $50 at your LBS any more, if you can you might want to stock up.
    Last edited by robc in wi; 02-15-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Just Plain Bitter
    I love the tires and it is mostly all I use. I do not pay that much for them though. Try Wiggle or PBK to get them for less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Yep, that sounds familiar. If I can find them fro less that $60 retail I snap 'em up. It's sobering when bicycle tires cost as much as auto tires.
    Halt! Do not post all threads in the General Forum. Please post in the correct specific forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I think they are good tires. The sidewall is a little thin but the tread will last. If you can find them for $60 or less than get them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Love the Conti 4000 s. I bought a pair of 4000 s for $100 with my purchase of Rol wheels. I'm not sure if the price was a special discount with the wheels or Rol will sell them separately for that amount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodi Crescent View Post
    I saw the folding version of these at Performance for a regular price of $75 each. $75?!?!

Are these worth $75? If so, what makes them worth it?
    ridiculous. I used to use them in the past. Very decent tires, but not worth $75. maybe $40, but not $75.
    I once ran over a nail and had to throw away a tire, after 150 miles.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    It's a great tire, and if I couldn't get it for less than $75, I'd pay it - so I guess I think "yes, it's worth it."

Currently $56 at Excel Sports. I just got some for $49 - daily deal at biketiresdirct.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Currently $54.74 at biketiresdirect - you'll earn bonus point which compensates fairly well for the shipping cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    geeze, thats expensive. i bought a pair from PBK last year for $73. ive been waiting ever since for a similar deal. i might have to just suck it up and go for the michelin pro 3s. theyre on bonk town these days.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Okay fine then - Currently at PBK - exclusive Continental Grand Prix 24 two-pack with Conti race tubes included - for about $82.00 I don't know that much about this tire, but I'm guessing it's pretty much a 24mm 4000s.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    My GP 24mm has a different anti puncture belt. I'd say it's a different (and lesser) tire.

Addendum: Indeed it is. The TPI count is also a whole lot lower on the GP 24mm: 180 versus 330 on the 4 Seasons, 4000s, SuSo and Attack/Force.

Source: Continental Bicycle -Race tyres
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kbwh; 02-16-2012 at 03:52 AM.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

I ride in circles..
    I wish I had bought a ton the first time I purchased my GP4000's.... I got them for $38 a piece on PBK.. Bought 3.. The next time I bought them they were up to $45 or so.. Now they're closer to $60. I've seen them as high as $85 on US retailer sites!
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'd like to try these, buy you can easily find the Michelin Pro 3 Race for $30 and that's what I've ran the past few years. AS Long as the last 40% add long you're still money ahead...

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    My GP 24mm has a different anti puncture belt. I'd say it's a different (and lesser) tire.

Addendum: Indeed it is. The TPI count is also a whole lot lower on the GP 24mm: 180 versus 330 on the 4 Seasons, 4000s, SuSo and Attack/Force.

Source: Continental Bicycle -Race tyres
    Thanks for clarifying - I regretted my post upon later reflection.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM View Post
    I wish I had bought a ton the first time I purchased my GP4000's.... I got them for $38 a piece on PBK.. Bought 3.. The next time I bought them they were up to $45 or so.. Now they're closer to $60. I've seen them as high as $85 on US retailer sites!
    Continental Grand Prix 4000 S foldable at a low price in the online bike shop www.rosebikes.com
    Blows your hair back.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    I'd like to try these, buy you can easily find the Michelin Pro 3 Race for $30 and that's what I've ran the past few years. AS Long as the last 40% add long you're still money ahead...
    Bingo! I have Conti 4000S tires on one of my bikes. They're nice, but I don't see much difference between them and Michelin Pro Race 3. I buy all my tires at Ribble for about half of what they retail for in the U.S. They currently have the 4000S for $38/tire. Shipping is minimal, I've never been charged any duty and they arrive in less than a week. With the appearance of the Pro Race 4, stores seem to be discounting the remaining Pro Race 3 tires. I'd grab some of those if you find a deal. I mean seriously, how much better are the Pro Race 4 tires going to be? Bonktown had them for $30/tire last week (limit 3 per customer). Ribble has them for $30 and throws in a free Michelin tube (probably worth $5 or so). For $8/tire less and a free tube, I'd opt for the Michelins.

Some folks claim that the Continentals last longer, which may be true. My experience is that the front tire lasts forever and the rear one gets shredded with glass and road debris before I ever manage to wear it out, no matter what tire I buy. Whenever I buy tires, I buy them in multiples of three -- one for the front wheel, two for the rear wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've got 4000s on now, and will probably stay with those. I've never had a Pro 3 Race (or earlier iteration) that I didn't yank off the wheel early due to cuts, nicks, or outright failure. But maybe I'm just "lucky" that way. That said, in my opinion, when new, P3R's feel smoother than the 4000s. But the 4000s consistently feel, perform, and pretty much look the same through the life of the tire. I do find that I have to run them under the pressure indicated on their chart, or they get superball bouncy (for me).
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Hutchinson Atom Comps at performance online for $25
    Hutchinson Atom Comp Road Tire - Tires, Tubes & Wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Much more durable than the proraces.
    Proraces have a much smoother ride but get cut up far easier if your roads have any gravel or stones on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I am currently riding gatorskins, will need to replace them at some point this spring, what's the difference between these and 4000s?

Thanks for the input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I used to buy tyres at PBK, but recently I switched to XXcycle -- but be aware of the shipping costs (check them during checkout -- not when you put items in the cart). GP4000S are about $37 when you buy several of them incl. shipping to the USA.
    Last edited by Got Time; 02-20-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast