RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

Cosmic Pro Carbon, would they suit a 115kg Rider?

I baught an Allez about 6 months ago, I love it to bits, have already lost 20kg just from commuting 15 miles to work everyday with recreational riding on the weekends, I have already had a warranty replacement for my wheelset as the standard wheels on the Allez were not very strong even though they were 32 spokes on the rear, I snapped 3 spokes whilst riding on it. I know have an awesome set of wheels that are a 20 rear and 16 front which have lasted me about 2 months no problem so far. I'm upgrading my groupset from the standard one that is already on their for either a 105 or a Tiarga. Back on track, I saw the 45mm cosmic carbon pro's and they look amazing, but the only thing that I see when I look at them is snapping spokes. Would you rekon I would be safe to ride a pair of these with my weight being 115kg?

Many Thanks, Charlie.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/cosmic-...on-rr0824.html
    Recommended weight limit : 120kg

Personally I wouldn't. You're still on the borderline and they're some expensive wheels to ruin. What do you think you're going to gain with these wheels?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    And why upgrade your component set? The performance gain will be less than a new set of wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    If your set on getting new wheels my recommendation would be not to drink the carbon wheel cool-aid, and instead go for an alloy rim upgrade. Aero wheels will buy you absolutely nothing for your usage needs, but a nice wide alloy wheelset with some good tires very likely will give you something meaningful like a more confident/comfortable ride for a fraction of the carbon wheel price. If your bike will accommodate the width, 28mm tires probably would be a good choice at your weight- it's a good and cheap way to give yourself a more enjoyable ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Regardless of if they can handle your weight they are just not good practical all round wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Congrats on the weight loss so far.
    I'm confused, how did you snap three spokes on a 32 spoke wheel, but are OK riding a 16/20 set? I'm about 70kg, and from what I've read/been told, 16/20 is too little for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    I'm not sure how it works, but the way my local shop explained it to me is that the spokes in my RS11's are better quality and stronger aswell as being built better than the wheels that came with the bike. I haven't changed the wheels, going to try and get under 90kg before considering wheels. Got a Tiagra groupset and it has made a massive difference, shifting was so much better and is like 100 times quieter. Also As to your question Evan326, I counted the spokes on my wheels its a 20 / 24 instead of a 16/20. But thanks for the responses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMHO, any wheel that is carbon, low spoke count or made by Mavic paired with a heavier rider is not a good combo.

In fact, I am not fond of low spoke count wheels even for myself and I'm only 170lbs. (76kg). Remember, if you break a spoke on a 32 spoke wheel mid-ride, you can adjust the spokes around it to get the wheel true enough to get home. If you break a spoke on a 20 spoke wheel, you will be walking or calling for a ride.

This being said, Shimano does make some of the more robust low spoke count wheels. However, I did have an issue with one of the hubs on a set of RS-11s that was replaced under warranty. I believe the hub seals on the lower end Shimano wheels aren't as good as Ultegras or higher. Ultegra 6800 wheels (WH-6800) are a great buy right now and weigh only around 1650g - same as the Cosmic Carbons!

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

$279 and free shipping! I believe these are about to be phased out so you may want to grab a pair of these and shelve them until you get your weight down some more. The only downside to these is tire mounting is said to be difficult.

But at your current weight, I would advise going with a local wheel builder. Is there possibly one at your bike shop? That would be the way to go. And they will still cost about half of what the Cosmic Carbons do!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger