passive/aggressive

Cracking spoke eyelets DT SWISS RR1.1

I have a set of RR1.1s that I commute on and was just going over the bike and noticed all the rear drive side spoke eyelets are cracking and pulling out. I built them to spec tension and have about 1500miles of commuting on them. Anyone had a problem with this rim or is it just a byproduct of riding rough roads and commuting? TIA
    Bean

kytyree
    I had similar trouble with one a while back, don't know how old yours is, but I've read that they made some changes to the current ones to address this. Then again most alloy rims are susceptible to that to some degree, though I haven't had any other fail in the manner that one did on me.

passive/aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    I had similar trouble with one a while back, don't know how old yours is, but I've read that they made some changes to the current ones to address this. Then again most alloy rims are susceptible to that to some degree, though I haven't had any other fail in the manner that one did on me.

hmm they are probably 4 years old maybe. I haven't done a ton of riding on them because i was using another bike for commuting for awhile but recently have sunk 1000 miles of commuting into them this summer.

At least it is good to know that if I replaced with same it will hopefully be alleviated.
    Bean

kytyree
    Look as well at the eyelets, for a while you'd see those listed as single eyelet and also double eyelet. That may have been part of the changes, but I'd pick up the doubles if I could.

Online Wheel Builder
    Replace... With Kinlins...

passive/aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
    Replace... With Kinlins...
    kinlins?

got it like velocity deep v's although looks like they are lighter which would be nice. Eyeleted?
    Bean

Online Wheel Builder
    Velocitys would be fine but they are a bit heavier than the Xr300. Between the two you cannot go wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I've got 4000+ rough miles on mine and they are fine, but they were new this year.