RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Custom Wheel Builders

About Me:

5ft 10 - 145 lbs and trying to lose 1-2 inches on the waist line (initial goal).

Decent level of fitness but after a 2 year layoff (new job did that) its hard but trying to get back into shape.

Haven't been on a road bike in many moons so really looking forward to getting back on the horse.

Got myself a Wilier Izoard that I'm currently building and just waiting on a few tidbits to be shipped out to me before I officially start it off.

What I don't have is wheels. So I said I was gonna get some cheap Campy Khamsin for $140 from probikekit.com and use those as "intro wheels" then later pony up for something better.

Road Condition:

Last few meters to my home is bumpy with potholes but other than that its pretty good (I may just end up walking the bike ).

Tiny hills are everywhere, nothing monstrous in the immediate area but once my fitness level comes back I intend on going out to tackle some of the big boy climbs (Its all relative, I live on a small island ).

Question 1
    Funds are a concern but I'm wondering if I should forego the Khasmins and get a better all round set for about $500-550 that I can use everyday and for when my competitive streak rears its head?

Question 2
    I did a thorough read through of this forum and have seen a few names come up as "recommended" wheel builders. I tried compiling a list and came up with these guys:

Prowheelbuilder.com
    wheelbuilder.com
    novemberbicycles.com
    bikesoul.com
    bicyclewheelwarehouse.com (I think this is T.Mike fav )
    flocycling.com
    hoopswheels.com
    neuvationcycling.com
    peteswheels.com

Can you recommend any other wheel builders? This may not only help me but others new to the forum who are looking for reputable builders.

Question 3
    I was thinking something in a 27mm - 32mm / 1450 - 1550 gr would be a nice spilt between aero and weight.

What build would you recommended?

Thank you all.
    Last edited by AllReD; 06-17-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: new builder

changingleaf
    Dear AllReD, I can of course recommend myself. I highly recommend custom.

A very high quality rim for your needs is the Pacenti SL23. It is 26mm deep x 24mm wide. It has excellent tire performance and aero qualities since it's width will match the width of the tire. A sub 1500g build with these rims and White Industries T11 hubs would be closer to $650-$700. You may choose different parts or supply your own hubs. Please call for a personal consultation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's nothing wrong with Khamsins per se.
    A bit heavy, but pretty much indestructible.

For custom handbuilts look no further than Ergott or RRuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpete View Post
    Dear AllReD, I can of course recommend myself. I highly recommend custom.

A very high quality rim for your needs is the Pacenti SL23. It is 26mm deep x 24mm wide. It has excellent tire performance and aero qualities since it's width will match the width of the tire. A sub 1500g build with these rims and White Industries T11 hubs would be closer to $650-$700. You may choose different parts or supply your own hubs. Please call for a personal consultation.
    Thanks Pete,

Wouldn't a 24mm rim with a wider tire-road contact patch offer up more rolling resistance?

Way back when I primarily rode 19mm rim - 23mm tire or below but I'm guessing times have changed.

I guess this opens up a whole new convo but I will go with the advice of more seasoned pros like yourself.

Thanks

Price quoted is above my budget for now although its not cast in stone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AllReD View Post
    Wouldn't a 24mm rim with a wider tire-road contact patch offer up more rolling resistance?
    The rolling resistance of a tire is due to casing flex and tread rubber squirm. A wider tire at the same pressure will deflect less than a narrow tire at the same pressure and so would actually be faster, all else equal. In practice people run wider tires at lower pressure and so things tend to cancel out. Narrower tires are faster due to a bit less wind resistance but can be slower due to the higher pressure which causes suspension losses. Regardless of tire width, contact patch size is strictly a function of rider weight and tire pressure. Contact patch shape changes with tire size but that is not what causes rolling resistance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Another wheelbuilder to speak with is Jude at Sugar Wheel Works. She has built up some fantastic wheels for both me and the wife. From very expensive carbon ones to special cross bike wheels to commuter specials. She ships to all 50 states and international too. She has a big Tri customer base on the East coast, and she is a tiny shop in little ol' Portland, Oregon. Sugar Wheel Works / Portland, OR

She does great work!