RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017

Custom wheels through Colorado Cyclist

I'm considering ordering a set of custom wheels through Colorado Cyclist. They would be Dura-Ace hubs, Easton R90 SL rims, and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. With their SPRING 10% savings promo code, they would be about $750 shipped, which I think is a very good price. It would be hard to buy the parts and build them yourself for that price.

Anyways, has anyone had wheels built by Colorado Cyclist? Were they true and did they stay true? Were they tensioned well? How are they to deal with?

Some food for thought: I talked with someone from there on the phone. I asked about getting a discount for NOT building the wheelset and just sending me the parts. He said maybe we can give you $25 off, but I would have to email support to make sure. Essentially their wheelbuilding service is no extra charge on top of the cost of the parts.

grizzly moderator
    The parts you listed could be easily bought retail for around $650 so $750 is a good price.
    The $25 labor cost to build these wheels is naive to believe as is the statement that the wheelbuilding service is no extra charge on top of the cost of the parts. The real cost is absorbed from the differences between wholesale and retail pricing.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

A wheelist
    I have zero first-hand knowledge of CC wheels and I love DA hubs to bits (I have 2-3 sets on my own home-built "good" wheels) but if I had to buy wheels of this price from a builder I would look seriously at a set of Novembers with WI hubs.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    The parts you listed could be easily bought retail for around $650 so $750 is a good price.
    The $25 labor cost to build these wheels is naive to believe as is the statement that the wheelbuilding service is no extra charge on top of the cost of the parts. The real cost is absorbed from the differences between wholesale and retail pricing.
    I agree. Saying the wheelbuilding is free is silly. Although, the cheapest I found a set of dura-ace hubs for was $335 from Outside Outfitters. They also had the R90 SL rims for $115 each. And then assuming a few $ per Sapim spoke and nipple, that puts the total cost in the low $700s. CC charges $25 for shipping. So essentially, I see it as the build being free. I was hoping they would knock off a $100 for not having to build the wheelset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fiziksdrop180 View Post
    I agree. Saying the wheelbuilding is free is silly (snip) I was hoping they would knock off a $100 for not having to build the wheelset.
    As far as saying the build is free, it's potato/patata. You get a discount on the parts when you buy the whole wheel and have them build it is one way to say it, the build is free is the other way to say it.

Expecting them to be able to go $100 less than that is unrealistic for a couple of reasons.

First, they would nearly certainly get called out for a MAP violation and risk losing access (or at least p---ing off) key suppliers if they did that. Say what you will about MAP but someone out there is ALWAYS willing to use something as a loss leader, and long story short if no one makes any money selling stuff, no one sells stuff which cripples the market.

Second, their labor is probably adaptable. When an hourly or salaried mechanic isn't working on a ticket to replace a bottom bracket or a bike build, they put some wheels to build in front of him and say "go." It's a way to productively soak up labor cost that they're spending anyway.

I don't have any first-hand experience with their builds but their prices on certain things are excellent (to the point where we've not offered certain builds because we don't want to take the margins we'd have to in order to get near their price). I expect that they buy Shimano at a wildly better price than we do. Their Easton costs are probably also lower than ours, but we do pretty well at the Sapim store.

Thanks, Mike. We're shipping out a 20/24 R90SL/WI T11/Sapim Laser/D-Light build today. That combo makes a terrific set of wheels.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    We're shipping out a 20/24 R90SL/WI T11/Sapim Laser/D-Light build today. That combo makes a terrific set of wheels.
    We need pics or it didn't happen!

If it did happen, what body weight and usage are they speced for?
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm considering ordering a set of custom wheels through Colorado Cyclist. They would be Dura-Ace hubs, Easton R90 SL rims, and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. With their SPRING 10% savings promo code, they would be about $750 shipped, which I think is a very good price. It would be hard to buy the parts and build them yourself for that price.

Anyways, has anyone had wheels built by Colorado Cyclist? Were they true and did they stay true? Were they tensioned well? How are they to deal with?

Some food for thought: I talked with someone from there on the phone. I asked about getting a discount for NOT building the wheelset and just sending me the parts. He said maybe we can give you $25 off, but I would have to email support to make sure. Essentially their wheelbuilding service is no extra charge on top of the cost of the parts.
    I have purchased two wheelsets from Colorado Cyclist. One of those I still have in use. I thought the build quality was decent and the wheels were true. I cracked one of the rear wheels at the rim eyelets but that is not uncommon with Mavic OPs and probably not a CC issue

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    What you say makes a lot of sense Dave. Thanks for enlightening me!

WI do look amazing, I hear they are great, and like they are made in the USA, but I just love the simple look of the Dura-Ace hubs, the cup and cone bearings, and the new bearing adjustment.

Curious, do you use the Lasers everywhere except DS rear? So is DS rear where the D-Lights are used?
    Last edited by fiziksdrop180; 03-29-2017 at 05:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I have purchased two wheelsets from Colorado Cyclist. One of those I still have in use. I thought the build quality was decent and the wheels were true. I cracked one of the rear wheels at the rim eyelets but that is not uncommon with Mavic OPs and probably not a CC issue
    Thanks for the feedback! What are the specs on the wheelset still in use?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Colorado cyclist makes good wheels. I've bought wheels from them and they've been excellent. You'd be hard pressed to buy the individual parts much cheaper than you can buy the built up wheels for. November Dave explains that pretty well. And you're not going to be able to do it yourself and do a better job. When I first got into cycling 30 years ago, I built wheels myself. This is when they had 32 spokes and were built with a lot less tension. Remember 14/15 double butted spokes? It didn't tale long for me to realize that while every bike pervert should build at least one set of wheels himself, there's really no cost savings in having someone else do it for you, and probably do it better.

WI hubs are nice, but so are Dura Ace. Shimano still uses loose bearings, which is nice and simple. I hate paying $50 for cartridge bearings on a set of American Classic hubs my wife has. Cxray spokes are the best. A little more than Lasers, but WTF ... a set of wheels lasts a long time. Easton rims ... no idea. I've been really happy with HED Belgium, but they are pricey. Whatever you choose, it'll be a lot better than some crappy Mavic Ksyriums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    While we're at it, have you seen Bike Hub Store's wheelset build kits? This is another deal that's hard to ignore. BHS hubs (made by Bitex I believe), Kinlin XR-22T or XR-31T rims, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, and DT Swiss aluminum nipples all for $325 to $380 (depending on rim and spoke count). I know Kinlin rims aren't the prettiest (to some) and the build quality isn't perfect and the hubs are kind of cheap (smaller bearings and axles), but I hear both are great for the price.

Hmmm...so many choices to be made!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    If you can build your own wheels, the 31W WI Kit for $595 from Bike Hub Store is a great deal, free shipping too. I am about to build my third set of those for friends I ride with and I just ordered the Rims/spokes, etc. I need to build a set of the 31W rims with DA Hubs for myself.

It says "No Substitutions" but Brandon is happy to swap AL for Brass nipples if you ask and he does that for me since we live on the FL Gulf Coast and AL nipples don't fare well in our salt air climate.

I like Kinlin rims. I rode this morning on a set of WI/Kinlin 300 wheels that are now 10 years old, built for me by Ron Ruff before I started building my own wheels, and they still look like new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    We need pics or it didn't happen!

If it did happen, what body weight and usage are they speced for?
    Custom wheels through Colorado Cyclist-img_0639.jpg

Owner is like 150-155# and lives in western WV (Charleston area). These will be his nice weather climb big hills and go on group ride wheels. He got latex tubes with them but I don't know what tires he's planning to use.

A wheelist
    Lovely. Thanks ND.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    CC has been building wheels since ancient times, I knew a guy that worked there doing just that in their wheel dept at least 25 years ago. I'm local to them I guess I should add and were always where I'd go to pick up spokes for my own builds since they could supply any length I wanted.

They build nice wheels at good prices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    You got it - D-Light on the drive side of the rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! While I would have loved to go with the Easton/Dura-Ace build, I couldn't get myself to drop that kind of money on my first wheel build (well, first build with new components). I ended up going with the Bike Hub Store 20/24 spoke Kinlin XR-31T, CX-Ray, and BHS (Bitex) build kit. I've built the front wheel so far (see below) with great success! I plan on creating a thread at some point with my experience with this build and the wheelset ride quality.

For the front wheel, I'm at a spoke tension of 95 +- 5 kgf (with a couple slightly higher ones...the sleeved joint area gave me some issues), dish is spot on, and radial and lateral runout are within 1/2 mm. Should I bring the tension up a little more though? Say 100 - 110 kgf?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! While I would have loved to go with the Easton/Dura-Ace build, I couldn't get myself to drop that kind of money on my first wheel build (well, first build with new components). I ended up going with the Bike Hub Store 20/24 spoke Kinlin XR-31T, CX-Ray, and BHS (Bitex) build kit. I've built the front wheel so far (see below) with great success! I plan on creating a thread at some point with my experience with this build and the wheelset ride quality.

For the front wheel, I'm at a spoke tension of 95 +- 5 kgf (with a couple slightly higher ones...the sleeved joint area gave me some issues), dish is spot on, and radial and lateral runout are within 1/2 mm. Should I bring the tension up a little more though? Say 100 - 110 kgf?
    For the front wheel, 95kgF is fine. It is unnecessary to go higher than that assuming this is a rim brake (non-dished) wheel. As long as your tensions are relatively equal (within 1 graduation on the Park Tool tensiometer), you're golden.

The rear wheel is where you have to go high on the drive side because the wheel is dished. On an 11-speed freehub and a symmetrical rim, 125-130kgF on the drive side will get you to about 55kgF on the non-drive side which is still sufficient tension.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Okay, great! I have yet to use Park Tools tension app on their website to record the tension values...I know the wheel is fine as is, but I just want to play around and see how "perfect" I can get the tensions.

On to the rear wheel...does anyone here use the "right to left" build method as described here:

Wheel Building Tip No. 6 - Build Rears from Right to Left - Wheel Fanatyk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Okay, great! I have yet to use Park Tools tension app on their website to record the tension values...I know the wheel is fine as is, but I just want to play around and see how "perfect" I can get the tensions.
    I haven't used the Park tension app either and really don't see a whole lot of need for it. If there are inequalities, they are usually next to each other.

On to the rear wheel...does anyone here use the "right to left" build method as described here:

Wheel Building Tip No. 6 - Build Rears from Right to Left - Wheel Fanatyk
    I have seen this, but haven't tried it.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger