RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Cycleops 45mm carbon clincher reviews

It seems odd that I can't really find many comments/feedback anywhere on the cycleops carbon clincher (or tubular) wheelsets. Are they that bad or folks just opting for more bling at that price?

Are the the same as the enve 45 or are there differences?

Online Wheel Builder
    A Powertap hub is inherently soft. They have some of the worst flange spacing that you can get on a "high end" hub. This makes for very poor lateral rigidity, which makes spokes quite prone to going slack and prematurely wearing or breaking all together.

It seems oxymoronic to put a Powertap on anything but an Open Pro. Why waste a perfectly good, light, stiff carbon rim on such a sub-par hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Are you including the G3, which was redisgined including flange spacing or largely speaking to pro/previous models?

Boyd Cycling owner
    The G3 (which is now the only model they carry) has very decent flange spacing and builds into a nice stiff wheel. The older model did not have great flange spacing, but the drive side was 15.9mm (which is .1 mm less than a hub that gets very highly recommended by Zen in many threads). The NDS wasn't as great which led to more even balance between drive and non drive spacing. . .but could make for a flexy wheel.

But with the G3 hub laced to a 45mm rim you will have a pretty stout wheel set. The rims are the Enve ones, and the 45 version is their old model (before they were Smart). The only drawback I see would be the internal nipples.
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I picked up a set of the Cycleops Carbon tubular 45mm wheels last spring. These are my first aero carbon wheels so I am a little biased. I have 2000 miles on them so far. Yes I race and train on them. I'm not spending $$$ just to pull them out on race day.

My rig is a 2012 Orbea Orca gold which is already stiff in of itself. When I switched from Kysrium SL's to these the change in responsiveness was very apparent. Especially for a sprint or jumping on climbs. Mind you I weigh 175-185 depending on the time of year and mash the pedals. There is no doubt they made for a rougher ride since I run higher pressures in my tubies. I didn't necessarily like the look of uni-directional carbon but it is stronger and being a heavier rider, that works for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegrider View Post
    Are the the same as the enve 45 or are there differences?
    Yes, the rim is the same rim as the ENVE 45, nothing different. The reason you're probably not seeing a lot of reviews is most are listed as ENVE 45s with a power tap and probably a CK R45 or DT240 front.
    Part of the Fairwheel Bikes crew.

I run the New Forum, Twitter Account, and spend the rest of the day coding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    thanks. Mine should be here in a week - looking forward to them!