RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

Dented my rear rim.. replacement help

So yesterday I bent the rear rim of my 2017 Roubaix Elite, which happens to have stock axis elites which of course I can’t just order a hoop for.

So since I can’t just have a cheap hoop replacement. I was thinking to upgrade the wheels. Now I can’t afford some sweet 3k carbon wheels but maybe closer to $500? Can I spend that little and still get a decent upgraded wheel set from the current specialized axis elite discs that came with it?

Any recommendations? Used I am assuming would be the best bang for the buck. Would a set of DT Swiss 460/470s be a decent upgrade?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Have you actually tried ordering a replacement rim? I'd be curious what the dealer says.

Maybe Specialized has OEM replacement WHEELS at a decent price?

Will the existing hub accept a standard rim or is it an odd drilling/spoke?

Sounds like you want a disc-specific rim, and you could do the rebuild yourself, no?

Answering those questions would help clarify things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I have a buddy that works as a bike mechanic. Said he cannot order that rim as did the place I originally bought the bike. No idea on the hub will do some research and see if I can figure that out. The buddy can also rebuild the the wheel. The bike is disc only so I do need a disc specific wheel/wheelset

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may want to refer to the forum sticky here to help others better answer your questions. One very important question I have is your weight. That is a big factor in wheel selection.

OK, I know some of these questions are a bit dated, but here they are:

Wheels and Tires FAQ and helpful tips

What wheels should I buy?

On this forum, this question gets asked often -

Q - I want new wheels for my bike. What should I buy?

A - Of course, for a good answer, we need as much information as possible. Some of the info we need is -

• Why do you want new wheels? What's wrong with your old ones?
    • What are you old ones? (rim name, hub name, spokes, their numbers)
    • How much do you want to spend?
    • How heavy are you?
    • Do you ride "light" or "heavy"? Are you powerful or smooth?
    • Have you had problems with your current wheels and if so, what?
    • What condition are the roads in that you ride?
    • What tires, widths and pressures are you using?
    • What do you expect from your new wheels that your old ones can't deliver? (be reasonable and realistic here!)
    • What are you going to use the wheels for - recreational riding, touring (loaded), training, racing, general purpose?
    • Do you want custom hand-built (designed for you) or factory pre-built?
    • Do you want wheels that are easily repairable with readily available, reasonably priced spokes and rims or are you ok with maybe having to ship your wheels back to the factory and wheels that contain expensive, proprietary spokes and possibly un-obtainium replacement rims?
    • Do you need 11spd compatible wheels (can be used with 8 ~10spd cassettes too by using a spacer) or are 10spd wheels ok? (can only be used with 8 ~ 10spd cassettes). Edit - This info is for Shimano & SRAM related cassettes; not Campagnolo.
    • Do you want the wheels to be oriented towards "aero" or "light"?
    • Do you want to use regular clincher, tubeless, or tubular tires?
    • Aluminum or carbon rims?
    • Rim brakes or disk brakes?
    • Rear hub width? (120, 126, 130, 135MM)
    • Do you want adjustable loose ball bearing hubs (almost exclusively Shimano) or cartridge bearing hubs (almost everything else)?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen2 View Post
    I have a buddy that works as a bike mechanic. Said he cannot order that rim as did the place I originally bought the bike. No idea on the hub will do some research and see if I can figure that out. The buddy can also rebuild the the wheel. The bike is disc only so I do need a disc specific wheel/wheelset
    Ask about "a" rim not "that" rim. You'd likely need spokes too if another brand of rim will work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Why do you want new wheels? What's wrong with your old ones?

//See above

What are you old ones? (rim name, hub name, spokes, their numbers)

//Specialized Axis Elite, axis hub, 24 spoke

How much do you want to spend?

//love to stay under $500

How heavy are you?

//160 Pounds

Do you ride "light" or "heavy"?
    //light

Are you powerful or smooth?
    //prob more smooth then powerful

Have you had problems with your current wheels and if so, what?

//not till i broke em other then thinking of possible tubeless upgrade

What condition are the roads in that you ride?
    //fair some potholes

What tires, widths and pressures are you using?
    //current tires are 26 75-80psi, have considered 28-32

What do you expect from your new wheels that your old ones can't deliver? (be reasonable and realistic here!)
    //lighter would be nice able use use up to 32mm tires would be great.

What are you going to use the wheels for - recreational riding, touring
    (loaded), training, racing, general purpose?
    //All of the above... i do short triathlons, have started to get into touring, but more then anything truly will be recreational

Do you want custom hand-built (designed for you) or factory pre-built?
    //dont care

Do you want wheels that are easily repairable with readily available, reasonably priced spokes and rims or are you ok with maybe having to ship your wheels back to the factory and wheels that contain expensive, proprietary spokes and possibly un-obtainium replacement rims?
    //would prefer easily repairable

Do you need 11spd compatible wheels (can be used with 8 ~10spd cassettes too by using a spacer) or are 10spd wheels ok? (can only be used with 8 ~ 10spd cassettes). Edit - This info is for Shimano & SRAM related cassettes; not Campagnolo.
    //11 spd

Do you want the wheels to be oriented towards "aero" or "light"?
    // not sure it will matter that much for me i can go either way

Do you want to use regular clincher, tubeless, or tubular tires?
    //clincher for sure maybe tubeless in the future

Aluminum or carbon rims?
    //alum.. wish i could afford carbon but i cant

Rim brakes or disk brakes?
    //disc

Rear hub width? (120, 126, 130, 135MM)
    //not sure.. i have a 2017 specialized Roubaix elite

Do you want adjustable loose ball bearing hubs (almost exclusively Shimano) or cartridge bearing hubs (almost everything else)?
    //doesnt matter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    So I found 3 wheelsets that seem to be good fits.

DT Swiss R470db - cheapest of the 3. Appear to be tubless ready.. maybe a slight upgrade from stock?

Roval SLX 24 - seem to be even more of an upgrade then the DT Swiss, but I assume that because these are specialized they will also not be able to be replaced should I sent a hoop again.

Zipp 30 course disc - most expensive (1,100ish) no idea what advantage over the rival other then I assume I could replace hoops if necessary. Maybe more aero?

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I found 3 wheelsets that seem to be good fits.

DT Swiss R470db - cheapest of the 3. Appear to be tubless ready.. maybe a slight upgrade from stock?

Roval SLX 24 - seem to be even more of an upgrade then the DT Swiss, but I assume that because these are specialized they will also not be able to be replaced should I sent a hoop again.

Zipp 30 course disc - most expensive (1,100ish) no idea what advantage over the rival other then I assume I could replace hoops if necessary. Maybe more aero?
    Of those 3, I would go with the DT Swiss R470db. Good solid rims. Do those have DT hubs as well or another brand?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    The eBay listing just says “axis hubs”

RoadBikeReview Member
    The eBay listing just says “axis hubs”
    Axis hubs are a budget brand used on many Specialized bikes. Sounds like these were a take off from a new bike. What are they asking for these?

Another good wheelset are these DT Swiss 1800s, though at $538, they are slightly above your price limit. One thing to note is DT hubs have a noisy freehub. Some riders like that, others don't:

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...800-spline-23/

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Yea they are takeoffs from a higher spec roubaix, expert I think. $ 475 asking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea they are takeoffs from a higher spec roubaix, expert I think. $ 475 asking
    Meh. R470db rims are good, but with those hubs, I wouldn't pay over $300.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Is there something closer to the roval SLX that might be $500ish used? The SLX come with the DT Swiss 350 hub and run about 500 on eBay. Or are those 1800s new a smarter buy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is there something closer to the roval SLX that might be $500ish used? The SLX come with the DT Swiss 350 hub and run about 500 on eBay. Or are those 1800s new a smarter buy?
    I would say the DT 1800s are definitely a smarter buy than the Rovals even if new. And I certainly wouldn't pay $500 for a used wheelset.

-- Warren Buffett