Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    806

    Didnt get what I thought I did. Dura ace c24 CL vs TL with clincher tires

    I wanted the CL model wheels because I am only going to use clincher tires. I got the TL model which says road tubeless on the side but they put clincher tires on it. The LBS where I bought it says the TL wheels are better because I can run them without tubes (no rim tape) or clinchers and I guess I could also do tubulars if I wanted. they put on Conti GP4000s tires.

    Is there any disadvantage to what I ended up with? They will get me the CLs but is that necessary?
    Dogma 65.1 CAAD 10 Cervelo RS Felt CX F65X
    Epic Expert Flash Alloy 1 Boris Fatbike

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,369
    the TL with clincher tires will lose their structural integrity with exposure to direct sunlight
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    806
    So if I were to ride early or on only overcast days would I be okay? How about the wheels?
    Dogma 65.1 CAAD 10 Cervelo RS Felt CX F65X
    Epic Expert Flash Alloy 1 Boris Fatbike

  4. #4
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,111
    the only difference I'm aware of between the CL and TL rims is weight.

    CLs are listed as 1385g, TLs are 1458g.
    eff all y'all...

  5. #5
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    I wanted the CL model wheels because I am only going to use clincher tires. I got the TL model which says road tubeless on the side but they put clincher tires on it. The LBS where I bought it says the TL wheels are better because I can run them without tubes (no rim tape) or clinchers and I guess I could also do tubulars if I wanted. they put on Conti GP4000s tires.

    Is there any disadvantage to what I ended up with? They will get me the CLs but is that necessary?
    you can use clincher tires ONLY. regular or tubeless, doesn't matter. obviously to go tubeless, you need tubeless tires. you can NOT put tubulars on those wheels. after you wear out the GP4000's try some tubeless tires...you might like 'em.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

  6. #6
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    you can use clincher tires ONLY. regular or tubeless, doesn't matter. obviously to go tubeless, you need tubeless tires. you can NOT put tubulars on those wheels. after you wear out the GP4000's try some tubeless tires...you might like 'em.
    Awww, come on! Let him try glueing some tubies on those. That would make for a fun thread.

  7. #7
    downhill quickly
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    the only difference I'm aware of between the CL and TL rims is weight.

    CLs are listed as 1385g, TLs are 1458g.
    ...and that's why I went TL's at at 16/20 spoke count. Those 7900 C24's TL's are probably the best box period. Stiff for climbing +15 %, nimble and sure foot going down same and you have plenty of tube and tubeless options. Frankly, I'm amazed at the sure fire spin and quiet glide of those wheels ( I run Conti gp4000s on them now)...and I have Zipp 404 Firecrest Clinchers to compare them with

  8. #8
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,082
    If you researched and wanted the CL's for your use then that's what you should have gotten. What's the price difference?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    806
    I actually thought TLs were for tubulars and was not familiar with tubeless....knowing what I know now, TLs are fine, maybe even better if I want to try tubeless at some point. The TLs seem to be a little more expensive on the web.
    Dogma 65.1 CAAD 10 Cervelo RS Felt CX F65X
    Epic Expert Flash Alloy 1 Boris Fatbike

  10. #10
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    I actually thought TLs were for tubulars and was not familiar with tubeless....knowing what I know now, TLs are fine, maybe even better if I want to try tubeless at some point. The TLs seem to be a little more expensive on the web.
    just remember...if you want to try tubless, you absolutely have to have tubeless tires. do not try tubeless w/ regular clincher tires.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    806
    I put 75 miles on them today and WOW, Im sure there is a big placebo effect but they really spin up fast. I could not be happier with these wheels and the GP4000s tires.
    Dogma 65.1 CAAD 10 Cervelo RS Felt CX F65X
    Epic Expert Flash Alloy 1 Boris Fatbike

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    44
    deleted
    Last edited by whoiswes; 09-12-2012 at 08:16 AM.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiswes View Post
    I don't think this is entirely accurate, at least not for every tubeless-compatible wheelset. I have a set of Ultegra 6700's and the docs clearly indicate that either clinchers or tubeless tires can be used.

    Obviously, you need a tube with a clincher, but there is zero reason why they shouldn't (and don't) work.
    You missed the point. The point was that to run tubeless you have to use a tubeless specific tire. You cant run WITHOUT tubes with a normal clincher. Obviously you can use a standard clincher WITH a tube on these rims.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    44
    deleted
    Last edited by whoiswes; 09-12-2012 at 08:16 AM.

  15. #15
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,982
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiswes View Post
    I don't think this is entirely accurate, at least not for every tubeless-compatible wheelset. I have a set of Ultegra 6700's and the docs clearly indicate that either clinchers or tubeless tires can be used.

    Obviously, you need a tube with a clincher, but there is zero reason why they shouldn't (and don't) work.
    i said "if you want to try TUBELESS you have to have tubeless tires". when the word 'tubeless' is used alone it refers to a tire without a tube, unless it is qualified further by adding 'wheels'. i said nothing about regular clinchers/tubes which will obviously work.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    i said "if you want to try TUBELESS you have to have tubeless tires". when the word 'tubeless' is used alone it refers to a tire without a tube, unless it is qualified further by adding 'wheels'. i said nothing about regular clinchers/tubes which will obviously work.
    Jesus, I was just clarifying since I read it differently. I am so terribly sorry to have misread your poorly worded post.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bayAreaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    603
    Make sure if you try tubeless you use a sealant without amonia such as Caffelatex, otherwise those rims do corrode.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: xjbaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiswes View Post
    Jesus, I was just clarifying since I read it differently. I am so terribly sorry to have misread your poorly worded post.
    Sorry man, but his last post wasn't out of line, nor was his earlier post "poorly worded". Probably best just to move on.

  19. #19
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,982
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiswes View Post
    Jesus, I was just clarifying since I read it differently. I am so terribly sorry to have misread your poorly worded post.
    wow, if my post was that traumatic of an experience for you, i'm not sure what to say.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    806
    it is confusing. I read hundreds of pages of info and had tubular vs clincher figured out...then found out I bought wheels that are TUBEless...


    Now lets all hug
    Dogma 65.1 CAAD 10 Cervelo RS Felt CX F65X
    Epic Expert Flash Alloy 1 Boris Fatbike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook