Tourist

Which disc (road) wheels do you recommend?

My next bike build will be with disc brakes (Vamoots Disc road). I haven't kept up much with progress in wheels though, my favorite rim-brakes wheels are still CXP33 with good hubs like DT240 or King, and for 'boutique wheels' I also like the C24 Dura-Ace. But for disc wheels I don't even know where to start?? Which sets have you used and liked, and why? Which sets have a good reputation and why? Thanks in advance -

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The same people who make good parts for rim-brakes make good parts for disc

If I were on a tight budget ($500ish):

-Novatec or Bitex hubs
    -H Plus Son Hydra rims, or Pacenti Forza
    -Butted DT spokes

Less of a budget ($1000ish):
    -Substitute White Industries hubs in the above (remember CLD or ISO for your rotors)...as blingy as King, but no proprietary tools needed for full service.

Even less of a budget ($1900ish):
    -White Hubs
    -Boyd carbon rims of your choice depth

LOL, budgets what are those?
    -Enve wheelsets
    -Zipp wheel sets
    -Lightweight wheelsets
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Get some nice DT wheel sets ! DT hubs, DT spokes and DT rims all with the DT Swiss manufacturing and assembling quality. Not cheap but among the best in the market!

Forever a Student
    I believe that you're now supposed to run carbon rims. Sort of the point of getting a disc brake bike.

And seeing how there's no brake track to worry about almost any carbon rim built for disc brakes should do. Just pick one with the shape and width you want that's in your budget.

You already know what to do about hubs and such.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    with disc brakes, there is a much lesser need to think about braking on carbon rim (which was one of the distinguishing consideration for rim braking). But with disc, carbon rim now has become a commodity. I'm thinking that any pair of Chinese "U-shape" 50mm deep carbon wheelset and call it a day.

For example, a quick 10 second google search returned this:
    https://www.carbonfan.com/asymmetri-...-50mm-clincher
    (they even give the option to get DT 240s hubs if you want)

Forget Zipp, Enve, Reynolds, and all these expensive ~$2700 to $3000+ big brand wheelsets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    I personally value the brands like DT Swiss for example for they quality control and therefore for the safety aspect. Even with disc brakes, the wheels have to guarantee some safety if you hit some potholes, etc....

But I understand of course that buying cheap is also an option for many.

Let us know what you have decided to buy ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    It would be more helpful to people answering your question if you would answer the questions in the sticky below, post #2:

Wheels and Tires FAQ and helpful tips

Because we don't yet really know what your priorities are in your ideal wheel set. What is your budget? Do you want lightweight or durable? Etc, etc.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

changingleaf
    If you choose a full custom wheelset you can choose the exact rims, hubs, and spokes to fit your needs including DT 240 and Chris King hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another vote here for custom. You will get better wheels and maybe even less expensive. Some ideas:

On a budget:

Rims: DT Swiss R470db
    Hubs: Shimano RS770
    Spokes: DT Competition

If money is no obstacle:

Rims: HED Belgium Plus Disc Brake
    Hubs: White Industries CLD
    Spokes: DT Aero Comp

Personally, I would always use brass nipples. Alloy nipples aren't worth the trade off of longevity and durability in order to save a negligible amount of weight.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    with disc brakes, there is a much lesser need to think about braking on carbon rim (which was one of the distinguishing consideration for rim braking). But with disc, carbon rim now has become a commodity. I'm thinking that any pair of Chinese "U-shape" 50mm deep carbon wheelset and call it a day.

For example, a quick 10 second google search returned this:
    https://www.carbonfan.com/asymmetri-...-50mm-clincher
    (they even give the option to get DT 240s hubs if you want)

Forget Zipp, Enve, Reynolds, and all these expensive ~$2700 to $3000+ big brand wheelsets.
    This was my exact line of thinking and exactly what I did. Should have my 50mm carbon wheels coming in a few weeks for $570 shipped.

30 mpdb
    Considering tubeless?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerIt View Post
    This was my exact line of thinking and exactly what I did. Should have my 50mm carbon wheels coming in a few weeks for $570 shipped.

Def look appealing....But with how the website is worded, it reads like that price only gets you 1 wheel--not a wheel set. I have yet to find a 700C set that totals $570 on their site...Cheapest I've found is $669 for 50mm with DT 350 hubs and Pillar spokes.
    Last edited by Marc; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:03 PM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Def look appealing....But with how the website is worded, it reads like that price only gets you 1 wheel--not a wheel set. I have yet to find a 700C set that totals $570 on their site...Cheapest I've found is $669 for 50mm with DT 350 hubs and Pillar spokes.
    I would not want to ride on any carbon wheels which only cost $570. The OP should familiarize himself with this thread:

Bulges at spoke holes on carbon wheels (photos)

Always remember this:

1) Light
    2) Strong
    3) Cheap

Pick two.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerIt View Post
    The problem with a lot of the Chinese rims is many tires are impossible to get on and off these rims making flat repair out in the field a pure PITA.