RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Does your Speedcific go "clunk"???

I'm very pleased with the lightweight wheelset that Mike built up for me. There is one thing I don't like though. When I've been freewheeling and I start to pedal, I often get a resounding "clunk" coming out of the rear hub - I guess when the pawl engages. My understanding of these hubs was that they were pretty fast engaging, meaning that one of the pawls (?) would engage quickly when pedaling action was initiated. What I find is that when I start to pedal there is a pause before a get the "clunk" and then there is forward movement. I discussed this with Mike and he offered to take a look but I was tired of paying the $60 freight so i took it to a local high end shop, they took it apart and said everything looked fine - $20. Another thing I noticed is that when i grip the cassette there is perceptable movement back and forth. Is it normal for a cassette to have a little bit of play like that? Thanks for any help or insights.. bc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I have one of Mike's rear wheels too, using the Perception hub. I think I occasionally feel/hear a thunk when the hub is freewheeling just a little bit slower than my pedaling speed, but it's never really pronounced or objectionable. It could be your cassette. My cassette might rock a little bit and I don't think it's a problem. I apply a tiny bit of wheel bearing grease to the outside of the hub where the cassette slides onto it. The grease probably acts a sort of cushion and keeps the cassette from binding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    bc165, are you using the serenity or perception hub?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    bc165, are you using the serenity or perception hub?
    perception...

there's something about the play that occurs when i grab the cassette and jiggle it that doesn't seem right to me, but i don't know much about hubs so that could be normal for all i know... don't know why the wrench didn't mention that though, unless maybe it's more to do with the cassette than the hub

any insights???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    i don't have any insights, i have been thinking about getting the new serentiy hubs, thats why i was wondering.