Slow and Steady
    Jan 2006

Double butted spokes with Striaght gauge spokes?

I am replacing some spokes on my wheel and I just realized that the shop gave me double butted spokes. Does it matter that the rest of the spokes are straight gauge compared to the 5 that I am replacing with double butted spokes?

I'm guessing not. The wheel is one I use for the bike trainer but occassionally lend it out to others to use recreationally. But I still want the wheel to be safe. Hence my question.

Thanks in advance for your help!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    They flex quite a bit different.. You really need all sides the same type of spoke. If it was just one it would probably be ok..

straight spokes are so cheap, not much reason to not use the right ones.

Slow and Steady
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Tom. I'm just being lazy! I didn't want to walk to the LBS again since my lunch break is over. I guess I need to go after work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Are you sure

Quote Originally Posted by TomH
    They flex quite a bit different.. You really need all sides the same type of spoke. If it was just one it would probably be ok.
    I'm having a hard time getting my head around why there would be any substantial difference in the performance of the wheel by throwing in 5 DB spokes. DB spokes do a better job of distributing the forces, but I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference in a blind riding test.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I didnt say anything about performance or anyone being able to tell the difference in ride though.

Thats a buck or two worth of spokes though. If the rest of your wheel is straight gauge, it should probably be kept consistent.