AMP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

DT Aero Speed spokes (vs. 14/15 DB)

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to have a nice hand-built set of wheels built up and am looking for a little spoke wisdom.

Here's what I know:

Rims: Velocity Fusion (between the aerohead and the Deep V)
    Hubs: King 32H

I'm trying to decide between DT Aero Speed spokes and DT 14/15 DB spokes. I would prefer to go with the aero spokes, but have been told that they may yield a much weaker wheel. Given that the rims are pretty beefy should I be concerned that the Aero spokes will significantly weaken the wheel?

For reference I'm at about 230 and dropping. I spin much more than I mash and I'm very careful about avoiding obstacles. I would like something that spins up relatively fast.

Also, I have a pair of open pros laced to 32H Record hubs with 14/15 DB spokes. I've got over 5000 miles on them and they have never needed truing. I finally took them in to be looked at over a month ago and they came out needing very little adjustment. They needed a slight tension adjustment and that was all.

Thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP
    Hi All,

I'm getting ready to have a nice hand-built set of wheels built up and am looking for a little spoke wisdom.

Here's what I know:

Rims: Velocity Fusion (between the aerohead and the Deep V)
    Hubs: King 32H

I'm trying to decide between DT Aero Speed spokes and DT 14/15 DB spokes. I would prefer to go with the aero spokes, but have been told that they may yield a much weaker wheel. Given that the rims are pretty beefy should I be concerned that the Aero spokes will significantly weaken the wheel?

For reference I'm at about 230 and dropping. I spin much more than I mash and I'm very careful about avoiding obstacles. I would like something that spins up relatively fast.

Also, I have a pair of open pros laced to 32H Record hubs with 14/15 DB spokes. I've got over 5000 miles on them and they have never needed truing. I finally took them in to be looked at over a month ago and they came out needing very little adjustment. They needed a slight tension adjustment and that was all.

Thanks!!

King hubs use an aluminum freehub body which allows the cogs to dig in and damage the splines. For this reason Shimano uses a Ti freehub body on their high end 9 speed hubs (which work with 10 speed as well).

Regarding the spokes, they are a little on the light side (similar to 15/16's), you might want to consider something stronger, at least for the drive side rear.

Good luck.

Ed
    Last edited by Nessism; 07-02-2005 at 10:24 PM.