good son , bad man
    Dec 2007

DT Aerolite spokes vs. DT Revolution spokes

Would there be much aerodynamic difference between a 32 spoke wheel (Mavic OP rim, Record hub) using DT Aerolite or CX Rays as opposed to using DT Revolution spokes?

The spokes I mention are all about the same weight but the Aerolites are 4 times the price of Revos and CX Rays are 3 times the price.

Also, I'd like to hear some opinions on the effect of side winds on aero spokes vs. round.

rruff, where are 'ya on this one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I'd say that yes... there is an aero difference, but considering that these aren't going to be aero wheels or even race wheels, you'd certainly be justified in not spending the money. It would only make a small difference that you wouldn't notice without a stopwatch. As for sidewinds, I've been riding my Nio30s with CX-Rays in the 50 mph gusts in NM for a couple of months now (I mean it's been blowing like that for 2 months), and I manage to survive...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    there is, but not enough to really notice.

the bling is nice, though.

Wheelsmith used to make the XE14 oval spoke, which was only 2x the price of a Revo or so. not quite the quality of the CX ray, but really close.