RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

DT Swiss 240 rear hub maintenance

Anyone enlighten me on how to service the dt swiss 240s for maintenance/cleaning. I heard you just remove the cassette and then pull the hub out? Thanks.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    It's pretty easy since everything is compression fit and there are no threads to worry about. All you need is a mallet and a bench vice (optional). Yearly is fine or twice a year if they're getting huge miles. Have a look at the pdf below:

http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/99a9c9...13/Manual.aspx

You can use the axle to push out your bearings if they're gritty. If not, leave them in for another year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjm36m3
    Anyone enlighten me on how to service the dt swiss 240s for maintenance/cleaning. I heard you just remove the cassette and then pull the hub out? Thanks.
    You can follow the directions for removing end cap and then the freewheel side to service the star ratchet mechanism but you need special tools to get to the hub bearings - expecially the one on the freewheel side. I would recommend checking with a number of LBS for someone who has the tools if you need to replace the bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry - somewhat off topic - I was looking at the manual however it is confusing how to open the front wheel hub. Can anyone give clear instructions to get to the front hub bearings?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Approximately how many miles logged should the 240s be serviced?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just did this last week. You may need the axle clamp to get the cap off. I ended up using visegrips with extreme care and too much drama. I ordered a clamp for next time.

Excel Sports: Servicing a DT Freehub body - YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Which vise should I get?
    park tool av-1 or av-4?

Price is very nominal so I wouldn't mind getting the av-4 if it is recommended.

As for the bearing replacement - some people claim 2-3K miles. Some people say it works like a champ even after 12k miles. I guess a lot depends on weather conditions and how much abuse it takes. When I go cycling, I specificly go on paved bike trails (much smoother and cleaner than regular road with shared car lane) and it takes little abuse (also I barely have to clean/wash my bike).

But definitely check your bearing if you feel that you have alot of play suddenly or feel lot of drag from the bearings since when you first bought the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadbike_moron View Post
    Approximately how many miles logged should the 240s be serviced?
    I clean and re-lube the star ratchet yearly. It makes it much quieter. I had the bearings replaced after about 30k miles.