Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014

DT Swiss, Easton, or Fulcrum?

Looking for a second set of alloy wheels, and wondering if any of the more experienced members here have a brand preference between those three brands. I'm a road rider and will be mounting (likely) some 700 x 25 Contis. Club riding, no racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    All these are respectable brands. May I ask why you want a second set of wheels and what do you want to achieve that you don't have in your existing wheel set?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

changingleaf
    From my experience the DT Swiss hubs are the most reliable.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    All these are respectable brands. May I ask why you want a second set of wheels and what do you want to achieve that you don't have in your existing wheel set?
    Mostly convenience to run a second, and different set of tires. I switch between Conti GP 4000s and Conti GP 4 Season tires frequently depending on the ride. If I can get an upgraded and lighter set that would be a bonus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Just an anecdote but the number of complaints and problems I've seen people I ride with or have heard about with Easton wheels would be enough to put me totally off the brand for wheels. Broken spokes and not staying true has been the problem I hear about and see which I assume comes from poor build quality/lack of QC.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Just an anecdote but the number of complaints and problems I've seen people I ride with or have heard about with Easton wheels would be enough to put me totally off the brand for wheels. Broken spokes and not staying true has been the problem I hear about and see which I assume comes from poor build quality/lack of QC.
    May be anecdotal, but still worth hearing. My ride came with DT Swiss, and the rear wheel needed a few spoke replacements during the first year of riding. It's been good since then, but I didn't expect that.

wut?
    OP have you considered the HED Belgium+ ? It's really a great rim!
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

DT Swiss, Easton, or Fulcrum?

You might want to consider hand-built wheels. Cost is about the same and build quality is often much more consistent. I have had a few wheels built by Ergott and November Bicycles. It can be customized to your weight and you can choose colored hubs (Chris King, Industry 9 and White Industries) and nipples to add some bling.

Fulcrum, which is actually Campagnolo, are excellent factory wheels. I’ve had Shamals and Racing Zero for years with lots of mileage. Campy makes some of the best hubs in the industry - they spin forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Bikes
    "It's supposed to be hard...The hard is what makes it great."

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
    You might want to consider hand-built wheels. Cost is about the same and build quality is often much more consistent. I have had a few wheels built by Ergott and November Bicycles. It can be customized to your weight and you can choose colored hubs (Chris King, Industry 9 and White Industries) and nipples to add some bling.

Fulcrum, which is actually Campagnolo, are excellent factory wheels. I’ve had Shamals and Racing Zero for years with lots of mileage. Campy makes some of the best hubs in the industry - they spin forever.

The only issue is they're totally proprietary. And spinning forever means nothing in the real world.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    On the other hand, I've run Easton wheels for the past 7 or 8 years and thousands of miles on and off-road, and I've only had one issue (that was probably due to negligence - cracked rim from possibly overtightened spokes on a rear EA90 XC). People have bad luck with all sorts of brands. But now that expensive Eastons don't go on regular massive closeouts at Nashbar, I'd shop other brands (or go to eBay or Pinkbike for a lightly-used wheelset).

Anyway, I currently have a set of EA70 SLs and EA90 SL/SLXs (and Havens and Heists), and they're all great, strong wheels. DT looks to make some nice wheelsets as well. You can often find take-off Rovals with 240 or 350 hubs for 50% off on eBay.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipped_in View Post
    OP have you considered the HED Belgium+ ? It's really a great rim!
    I looked at the HED Ardennes, but they limit your tire pressure to 90psi. I frequently ride at higher pressures, so they're a no-go for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fulcrum... Racing Zero...they spin forever.

Yes, I recently put them on my Allez Sprint, they're delightful.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014

I saw a pair of 4db wheels on line for about $350. Seems like a steal. Would you?

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014

Fulcrums Proprietary?

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The only issue is they're totally proprietary. And spinning forever means nothing in the real world.
    If they're proprietary, does that mean my LBS can't work on them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    If they're proprietary, does that mean my LBS can't work on them?
    Maybe. Nowadays, many shops send the back to the factory, in part to not void the warranty and some shops don’t have experienced wheel builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    True. But Campy wheels have a long history of solid, reliable wheels but they are in the middle of the pack on the weight side.

My Bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    I saw a pair of 4db wheels on line for about $350. Seems like a steal. Would you?
    What’s 4db?

My Bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Competitive Cyclist is having a sale on the Easton EA 90 SL wheels. They weigh 1490 grams, 19.5 internal width and 24.5 external width. I have put 3k miles on them and I haven't had one problem. https://www.eastoncycling.com/produc...ea90-sl-wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    You could also get some DT rims with a Powertap hub and get a power meter for $500.
    https://www.powertap.com/product/dt-...0-alloy-wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojodave View Post
    Competitive Cyclist is having a sale on the Easton EA 90 SL wheels. They weigh 1490 grams, 19.5 internal width and 24.5 external width. I have put 3k miles on them and I haven't had one problem. https://www.eastoncycling.com/produc...ea90-sl-wheels
    3K miles is not much. I would expect at the very least least 10K miles without a problem.

I do know someone who has a pair of Fulcrums with over 21K miles. The rear brake track is now concave, but they have never had any problems otherwise. Granted that she is slight. A 200+lb. rider would probably have trashed those sooner.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I had some Fulcrum Racing 5's, I had problems with popping spokes. I liked the Easton's better.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    What’s 4db?

Sorry. Fulcrum Racing 4db. Their top alloy road wheel.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014

Need disc wheels.

Those are rim brake models, but I need disc models. I should have specified.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had some Fulcrum Racing 5's, I had problems with popping spokes. I liked the Easton's better.
    How many miles before the Fulcrums started popping spokes? How much do you weigh? Are you a spinner or a masher?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I had the Fulcrum about 1.5k when I started having spoke problems. I weigh 190 and I'm a spinner. I had them repaired twice. I got in a serious accident last year and the Fulcrum folded like a bad hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast