RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

DT Swiss mountain rim for road disc

Hey everybody! I am looking to build a new road/slightly off-road wheelset and I can’t find any moderately priced road-specific rims with a 25mm internal width like some of the new high end carbon wheels coming out.

Would it be possible to use a mountain rim like the DT Swiss XM 421 with a 25-28mm road tire? Or is the bead going to be too hard to put on and/or will it deal with the pressures needed?

changingleaf
    That rim will work fine for your needs. This has been done before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you look at DT's compatibility chart, they don't consider a 25mm rim and 28mm tire compatible. I don't want to speculate if you could get away with it or not. If nothing else, the tire profile it would create would make your tires more prone to sidewall cuts.

DT does make a 22.5mm version of the XM 421 which they consider just barely compatible with a 28mm tire.

See chart below:

https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...WEB_ZZ_001.pdf
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If you look at DT's compatibility chart, they don't consider a 25mm rim and 28mm tire compatible. I don't want to speculate if you could get away with it or not. If nothing else, the tire profile it would create would make your tires more prone to sidewall cuts.

DT does make a 22.5mm version of the XM 421 which they consider just barely compatible with a 28mm tire.

See chart below:

https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...WEB_ZZ_001.pdf
    It looks like ENVE has a pair of wheels with 25mm internals (but are also hookless) that they say can run 28-30mm road tires. I am not sure if aluminum has a harder time holding onto smaller tires when its extruded out to 25mm internals.

This is what I am trying to emulate: https://enve.com/products/ses-4-5-ar/ but on a budget of only $600-700 instead of $2700.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icaruswings View Post
    It looks like ENVE has a pair of wheels with 25mm internals (but are also hookless) that they say can run 28-30mm road tires. I am not sure if aluminum has a harder time holding onto smaller tires when its extruded out to 25mm internals.

This is what I am trying to emulate: https://enve.com/products/ses-4-5-ar/ but on a budget of only $600-700 instead of $2700.
    Hookless? Are you planning on running tubeless?

My big question is what is it you are hoping to achieve with a build like this that you don't have now? What wheels are you using now?

I do like wider rims, but if a little is good, more isn't necessarily better IMHO. There is a sweet spot and it isn't always "more".
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein