Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

DT Swiss R460 Tubeless

13K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  changingleaf 
#1 ·
I just built myself nice set of wheels with Campagnolo Record hubs and DTSwiss R460 rims.
Rims are tubeless ready and now I would like to try tubeless.
I have one question about valve stem compatibility for this rim.
Rim has rather deep central groove and on pictures in DtSwiss manuals it is shown that valves with square rubber bottom are used.

My question is if anyone has used round valves on rims with deep middle section groove and how did it hold air?

#3 ·
Thank you for the answer.

#7 ·
The R460's are a nice rim for the price, but they have one flaw that can make them a bit inconvenient for setting up tubeless and possibly more prone to burping for low pressure cyclocross use.

- The bead seat is too narrow. Therefore when you let the air out of the tire the bead falls back into the center channel of the rim. This is inconvenient, because the cleanest and most reliable way to add sealant to the tire is to inflate the tire first so that it locks in the bead, then let the air out, remove the valve stem and add sealant, then re-install the valve stem and reinflate without the possibility of spraying sealant out the side. BUT, since the tire does not stay seated when you let the air out this is impossible. It also makes low pressure burp resistance questionable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.