RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

DT Swiss RR465 Tubeless Conversion-Not Working!

OK, first thing. I've done maybe 10 conversions using Notubes tape and sealant (mostly mountain bike wheels) Last season I converted the Mavic CXP22 rims on my road bike using the Notubes system which includes the Hutchinson Intensive tire option. The conversion went well with no issues.

So, I just bought a new wheel set that uses DT Swiss RR465 rims and after 3 attempts I can not get the tire to seal on the rim. Using 2 wraps of Stan's 21mm tape, following the instructions to the letter, etc. I've emailed Notubes asking if there's anything about this rim that would cause them to not work with the Hutchinson's but have not yet heard back. Seem unlikely that those rims wouldn't work. More likely is that I am doing something wrong but Damned if I can figure it out! Anyone have input or experience with converting these rims? Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I don't have much experience with tubeless conversions. My understanding is that rims like the cxp22 are better candidates because they have more of a shelf next to the bead seat whereas the the rr465 has no shelf, the rim well is curved. The curve and lack of a shelf makes it difficult to keep the tire bead seated in the rim without a tube.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    You can't get the initial inflation or you can't get it to hold air?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Can't get the bead to seat at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Wrap something (cord, rope, strap) around the center of the tire and cinch it down so the beads are pressed against the rim bed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Wrap something (cord, rope, strap) around the center of the tire and cinch it down so the beads are pressed against the rim bed.
    I will give that a try. Have you used this technique? I'm frustrated because I've done a lot of tubeless conversions and have always been able to get tires to seat until this combination.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    It was a tubeless cart tire, but it was the only way I could inflate it. I haven't tried it on a bike tire.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Which tire? I find that the Fusion 3 is harder to get to spread out than the Fusion 2 or Intensive. Storing them flipped inside-out helps them stay spread out a bit so they fit up better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Some rims are just a pain to convert to tubeless, in which case it's just not worth the effort.

*Note to self*
    DT Swiss RR465 don't work well with tubeless

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    Which tire? I find that the Fusion 3 is harder to get to spread out than the Fusion 2 or Intensive. Storing them flipped inside-out helps them stay spread out a bit so they fit up better.
    Intensive

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Dang. Well, put a set of tubes in and inflate them for a couple days or a week. Then take the tubes out and try again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    Dang. Well, put a set of tubes in and inflate them for a couple days or a week. Then take the tubes out and try again.
    I've tried that as well. Installed a tube, kept the tire inflated for a day then tried again with no luck. Very strange & frustrating. I'm about to give up on this rim & go back to tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    You may need to build up the rim bed to make this work. I'd start with one layer of Gorilla tape on top of the Stan's Yellow tape. Sometimes it can take up to 3 layers of Gorilla Tape to have enough structure to support the tire bead.
    Contact me directly at 800-940-9592 or info@wekeepyoucycling.com
    Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/wekeepyoucycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

DT Swiss RR465 Tubeless Conversion-Not Working!

Sorry if I missed it, but how are you inflating - compressor?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Yes, air compressor.