RoadBikeReview Member

DT vs Sapim vs Wheelsmith

About to order spokes for a couple of builds.
    Which are nicer and why?
    These are for cross builds in case it matters.
    Nipples will match manufacturer of spokes.
    Looking at standard 14-15-14 db spokes with brass nipples.

Price is a concern and it appears Wheelsmiths are the cheapest but not by much.

A wheelist
    Too close to bother about.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Wheelsmith are not 14/15G; they are 14/15.5G which makes the middle 1.7mm thick instead of 1.8mm.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com
    Save 15% on your first order from Hammer Nutrition with affiliate code 239794 hammernutrition.com

wheelbuilder
    The only issue I've had worth mentioning is with the black finish on Sapim Race spokes. I didn't have the problem with Lasers (not the gauge you are looking for). If you want black, get DT or the DB14. The DB14 is a slightly lighter gauge as valley mentioned, but I really like those spokes.

-Eric

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    I have found the Sapim thread/nipple combo to be silky smooth, better than DT or Wheelsmith.

After you are done with the build this won't make a lick of difference.

Can't Hardly Wait
    Apr 2004
    I am rocking the DB14's on a couple of sets of mtb 29er wheels and have not had any problems at all with them.
    G
    "You can't depend on honest answers from dependent hands." - jimmyeatworld

Can't Hardly Wait
    Apr 2004
    I am rocking the DB14's on a couple of sets of mtb 29er wheels and have not had any problems at all with them.
    G
    "You can't depend on honest answers from dependent hands." - jimmyeatworld

Dutch biker
    Sapim nipples are self aligning. That means there’s almost no friction between the nipple and the rim.
    And that means you can put more tension on the spokes witch makes a stiffer wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by knakhemel
    Sapim nipples are self aligning. That means there’s almost no friction between the nipple and the rim.
    And that means you can put more tension on the spokes witch makes a stiffer wheel.
    Do you mean that you're unable to properly tension the wheel using any other nipples? How much tension do you believe is optimal, or did you just read too much Sapim marketing copy?
    "If there's a team that needs help...I've found a hole in my schedule." -Floyd Landis, 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knakhemel
    Sapim nipples are self aligning. That means theres almost no friction between the nipple and the rim.
    With modern stainless steel spokes tension is entirely limited by rim strength - either where you exceed its elastic limit or where increased mean stress is going to lead to fatigue cracks around the spokes before the rim's braking surfaces wear out.

You can get there just fine with conventional nipples, especially when you lubricate their interface with the rim which should be part of everyone's wheel building process.