RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Dura Ace 7850 SL

I built up a 5.2 Madone frame and bought a set of these on ebay for it, I must say these are great wheels spin up nicely, hubs are buttery smooth and handle the wind without any issues.They are also very responsive out of the saddle.

I've been riding an '04 5200 with ksyrium ssc sl's and found the Dura Ace to be a superior wheel overall. The Mavics are still a quality wheel imo, but definitely enjoy the DA more.

Lost in translation
    These are my all-time fave wheelset. Priced fairly (if shopped around) at less than $800. Unbelievably strong and durable. Look great, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I agree, my all-time favorite wheel set also, and they go perfectly with my 2009 Roubaix Pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Yes they are nice, I had the carbon version before and I sold them and bought these.. I wish I had kept them now.

For some reason they are no longer available. These are as good as you need imo.
    For ride "quality" I still prefer my DA Open Pro's though.
    Litespeed Icon
    Ultegra SL
    Dura Ace Crank
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2013 WTS 2013
    Mavic CXP33 Ultegra
    Mavic Open Pro Dura Ace

Bianchi Sempre
    Ultegra
    SLK Carbon Crank
    Deda bars and stem
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite WTS 2013

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I feel like I got a great deal for these at $375,they look like new and just feel amazing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    These are my all-time fave wheelset. Priced fairly (if shopped around) at less than $800. Unbelievably strong and durable. Look great, too.
    I agree 100% i love them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I have a set of the 7850 CLs and I wonder if they anyone has experience with them. I noticed that on mine the wheel sits closer to the right (drive) side of the frame than the left (non-drive) side. I know that this is an asymmetric rim but I don't know if it's normal for the wheel/tire to be off-center from the axis of the bike. I bought them used. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Dura Ace SL 7850 - upgrade to ceramic bearings?

I wonder if a bearing upgrade is doable with this wheelset? Recommendations?

I'm running Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tires and they're working well, BTW. Sealing the tubeless was a bit of a problem but after I bought some Slime Pro tubeless sealant I lose no more air between rides than a standard tire.

Older and a little slower
    Awesome wheel set, great value, tubeless ready yet I run tubes,,,, I love these wheels!
    “Well, the bike racer is not that ferocious to look at, and lets face it, skeletal level of skinniness, also, the clothing is pretty odd”
    Bob Roll – 2011 Tour de France

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcomp View Post
    I wonder if a bearing upgrade is doable with this wheelset? Recommendations?

Yeah, don't waste your money. ceramic bearings in hubs (or any other bike part) is a farce.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcomp View Post

I'm running Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tires and they're working well, BTW. Sealing the tubeless was a bit of a problem but after I bought some Slime Pro tubeless sealant I lose no more air between rides than a standard tire.
    alexcomp

I had a set of Dura Ace 7850 SLs and I also use Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tires. Just FYI, the sealant that Shimano recommends is Hutchinson. (Hutchinson Protect'Air Maxis what you want for road bikes)
    If these wheels are still under warranty you might want to consider changing sealant.

Now I have a set of Dura Ace 7900 C24 TLs,
    On the 7850 SLs I could get the tires to seal without sealant.
    Same tires and on the 7900 C24 TLs, I had to use sealant to get them to seal