Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The shooting and archery forums I'm on are the worst w/ random apostrophes. Posters just throw them in every now and then, no rhyme or reason.
    I know this shouldn't have turned into a language police thread but I just HAVE to add this last one (from me anyway) - I worked my whole career in the fire service. Our department training officer, who churned out reams of training docs over 2-3 decades, put an apostrophe before EVERY 's' at the end of every word, no matter what the context of the word. But what was more sad was that I was probably the only person on the department who ever noticed this.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Our department training officer, who churned out reams of training docs over 2-3 decades, put an apostrophe before EVERY 's' at the end of every word, no matter what the context of the word. But what was more sad was that I was probably the only person on the department who ever noticed this.
    I see this way too often as well.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I know this shouldn't have turned into a language police thread but I just HAVE to add this last one (from me anyway) - I worked my whole career in the fire service. Our department training officer, who churned out reams of training docs over 2-3 decades, put an apostrophe before EVERY 's' at the end of every word, no matter what the context of the word. But what was more sad was that I was probably the only person on the department who ever noticed this.

That's pretty bad...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Today I saw a facebook post that went something like "I was driving along and I saw a woman who had some flowers for sale and a fish & chip wagon."

I asked if they knew how much was being asked for the fish & chip wagon as I might be interested. The post was soon changed; this time with proper punctuation and sentence structure.
    The Panda: eats, shoots, and leaves. Maybe all of these should have an apostrophe, just to close the loop? They're going to park their bikes over there. How hard is this?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    The Panda: eats, shoots, and leaves. Maybe all of these should have an apostrophe, just to close the loop? They're going to park their bikes over there. How hard is this?
    I hope no-one starts the one about helping Jack off a horse.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

If you look at posts that you, Mike, Lombard, and I make it's not hard at all.
    Or the famous "Let's eat grandma" instead of "Let's eat, grandma".

Huge in Japan
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    When you stable geniuses (or is it genius's?) start nailing the appropriate use of "who" versus "that," then we can start passing out the gold stars. Seeing "I have a buddy that..." instead of "I have a buddy who..." upsets me.

I won't even start on "who" versus "whom." Apparently, whom is just going to go away, or so say the powers that be (since the powers in question are institutions and not individuals, they are "that" and not "who").

Blame the mothers of the world for the pervasive misuse of "I" instead of me. Kids say "can Joe and me ride our bikes to the store," mothers say "yes, but only if you ask correctly if 'Joe and I can go to the store,'" then the kid says "f it, I'm just using 'I' all the time, 'me' is dead to me," and that's how we get to here. Then you have all of our jackass elected officials who use the abomination of "I and..." As in, "I and my colleagues have provided no substantive leadership throughout the last several legislative terms."

And then we have the "myself" problems.

My 8th grade English teacher used "irregardless" like she was being paid to do so. She was actually being paid, in some part, not to do so.

Ain't life grand?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    When you stable geniuses (or is it genius's?) start nailing the appropriate use of "who" versus "that," then we can start passing out the gold stars. Seeing "I have a buddy that..." instead of "I have a buddy who..." upsets me.

I won't even start on "who" versus "whom." Apparently, whom is just going to go away, or so say the powers that be (since the powers in question are institutions and not individuals, they are "that" and not "who").
    I have to admit, I'm probably guilty of using who sometimes when I should use whom.

However, I don't see how you can mix up who's and whose. And I still know plenty of people who mix up it's and its, your and you're and there, their and they're.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike t. View Post
    i hope no-one starts the one about helping Jack off a horse. :d
    lmao!!!

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    It's amazing to me that people that post stuff like this actually manage to have jobs and own homes. If you can't communicate at the level of an average 6th grade kid how do you get through college and hold a job?
    I think I posted the original at 11:45pm, under the influence of cold medicine, from my phone. My phone could have switched it to "their" or I must have missed it. But, I really don't care. Thankfully, I was able to still get thru the day at a job I keep and come back home to the house I own and check to see that there was actually some good advice mixed in with more of your ranting and condescending corrections.

Anyway, it's sad that it bothers you so much. It seems you spend a lot of time constantly correcting people, putting people down, and derailing threads.
    Perhaps you should consider joining a grammar forum. You actually might get more of the respect you seem to be craving.

Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post
    I think I posted the original at 11:45pm, under the influence of cold medicine, from my phone. My phone could have switched it to "their" or I must have missed it. But, I really don't care. Thankfully, I was able to still get thru the day at a job I keep and come back home to the house I own and check to see that there was actually some good advice mixed in with more of your ranting and condescending corrections.

Anyway, it's sad that it bothers you so much. It seems you spend a lot of time constantly correcting people, putting people down, and derailing threads.
    Perhaps you should consider joining a grammar forum. You actually might get more of the respect you seem to be craving.
    Excuses.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Oh come on. You can do better than that. Where's the put down and the derogatory remarks?

Oh come on. You can do better than that. Where's the put down and the derogatory remarks?
    It's late...I'm sick...my autocorrect is retarded. I dunno, that's the best I can do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My phone could have switched it to "their" or I must have missed it. But, I really don't care.
    It's late...I'm sick...my autocorrect is retarded. I dunno, that's the best I can do.
    Seriously guys?? Does anybody really use that damn crappy autocorrect? That's the first thing I turn off when I buy a new phone!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    https://twitter.com/NovemberBikes/st...96438817861632

In light of the discussion here, I present to you this gem I saw while riding yesterday. Agree or disagree (or even dissagry) with the message, but the delivery is top notch spelling and grammar failure.

A wheelist

In light of the discussion here, I present to you this gem I saw while riding yesterday. Agree or disagree (or even dissagry) with the message, but the delivery is top notch spelling and grammar failure.
    How about a Tour de Typo? Organized especially for grammar police cyclists. There could be prizes for spotting typos - something like what we did with the kids, on drives, when they were young - "The first one to spot a red truck gets $0.05."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    I had a pair of C35s and rode them for about a year. I think any aero benefit of the slightly deeper rim (compared to the C24) is mitigated by the un-even rim width around the circumference - that HAS to chop the air up a lot. Braking is good, they stayed perfectly true. Reasonably comfortable and responsive (I rode a 300+ km fondo on them). Typical high Shimano quality. Main reason I got rid of them was I wanted a wider inner and outer rim width to run 25mm tires. The C35s "lightbulb" pretty severely with 25mm tires. For the money (and for a lot less money), I think there are better, more "modern" wheels out there.
    Would you elaborate on what modern wheels you like? I am looking for some with a little more width. I run 25s and 28s.

RoadBikeReview Member

Hippocrits? Sounds like a bike race with some very heavy riders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    A guy I know has a blog just for pictures of underwear that he sees roadside on rides. It's simply staggering, the volume he sees.

I don't dissagry (I'm spelling it that way from here on out) on Lombard's hippocrit assessment.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    Would you elaborate on what modern wheels you like? I am looking for some with a little more width. I run 25s and 28s.

I'd be interested to hear your other options as well.
    I can pick up the 40's for under $1200.
    Last edited by maximum7; 04-03-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12