RoadBikeReview Member

Dura Ace FH 7900

I just got off the phone with Shimano and they said there are no tools for this hub. I said the bike shop and myself have been trying to get this hub apart and we cant. I asked what size tool would work on this and Shimano tool me there is no tool that will work on it. I asked what should I do with it then. He said, send it back to them. I asked do you still make this hub, he said it's been replaced with 9000 hub. I said I can understand why you replaced it.

Doe's anybody have any ideas what I can do with this, short of throwing the wheel away?

Dr. Buzz Killington
    According to Shimano, this hub is a "tool-free" design for bearing adjustment. I don't know what else to tell you.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by George M View Post
    I just got off the phone with Shimano and they said there are no tools for this hub. I said the bike shop and myself have been trying to get this hub apart and we cant. I asked what size tool would work on this and Shimano tool me there is no tool that will work on it. I asked what should I do with it then. He said, send it back to them. I asked do you still make this hub, he said it's been replaced with 9000 hub. I said I can understand why you replaced it.
    Doe's anybody have any ideas what I can do with this, short of throwing the wheel away?
    Ten seconds work on Google finds the tech doc for this hub -
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830728255.pdf

Mine is the 7850 hub but I'll bet this works to strip that hub -

Stuff a 5mm allen wrench into each end of the QR axle hole.
    Spin off the NDS cap.
    That will allow the next cap to be pulled off which will reveal the toothed adjuster. Loosen or tighten this, with the fingers, to adjust the bearings.
    Remove it to allow the axle to be removed from the drive side.
    Stuff a (I think) 14mm allen wrench into the hollow bolt that holds the cassette carrier on. Undo and remove carrier. Use a Morningstar Freehub Buddy to properly lube it.

That's what I get from looking at the tech doc. I'm surprised the bike shop guy couldn't figure this out.

If it's anything like my DA hub it will be a great one.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member

Mike T more than adequately replied to your post. The only reason why I am posting this is to tell you that the reason for the 9000 is to fit a 11 speed cogset. The 7900 is a great hub. No tool means no specialty tool; an allen wrench is what you need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did that with the 2 allen wrenchs and that's as far as I can get. It looks like a cone wrench would fit on there, but it don't and you can't loosen it up by hand. Also I looked all over, around here anyway and I can't find a 14 mm allen wrench. I'll have to look on line.

I just went out to try and get it again and I did. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to call the bike shop right now.
    Last edited by George M; 06-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I did that with the 2 allen wrenchs and that's as far as I can get. It looks like a cone wrench would fit on there, but it don't and you can't loosen it up by hand. Also I looked all over, around here anyway and I can't find a 14 mm allen wrench. I'll have to look on line.

I just went out to try and get it again and I did. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to call the bike shop right now.

Call a different bike shop. This isn's some exotic/uncommon hub that you should be helping them figure out how to help you with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    let us know when you have problems locating replacement cartridge bearings for it...

A wheelist
    I can't find a 14 mm allen wrench. I'll have to look on line.
    I had to order mine from an auto parts store. That's one big honkin' allen wrench. There is no real reason to remove the cassette carrier though unless a proper internal clean & re-lube is the goal.

There's something you're not doing right as this hub will be a few seconds of a job to get the axle and bearings out.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    No tool means no specialty tool; an allen wrench is what you need.
    I know what Shimano means but I wish they would not say "tooless design" or whatever their wording is. There is no hub that I'm aware of that it totally no-tool overhaul (fingers only). Even some of the Asian hubs that need no tools to get the end caps off plus cassette carrier and axle out need tools (hammer and punch) to remove the cartridge bearings.

Back 15 years (or so) ago when the DT 240 hub came out they advertised that as "no tool servicing". By servicing they meant "cleaning & re-lubing the star ratchets" which was true - the cassette carrier pulled off by hand. They marketed a special tool kit to remove the bearings and inner bearing retainer ring though. Upon explanation they said that bearing removal was an "overhaul" procedure and not "servicing" so in one way they were right. Their wording deceived a lot of people.

We know what Shimano mean for their 7900 hub - no special tools are needed but shop tools are. That's what they should say and then George and his LBS don't get to the cursing stage.

A wheelist
    George, did you get anywhere with your hub?

I found this via Google -

Hub How-To - Dura Ace 7900 - Slowtwitch.com