RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Dura-Ace Rear Hub: Pulsating Click

Hi All,

I just purchased a new wheels: Mavic Open Pro with Dura-Ace hubs, and I right away I noticed that the freehub is making a pulsating click, and not the steady click I'm used to hearing from other wheels. Is this something to be concerned about? Has anyone else experienced this as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It doesn't help if you don't tell us which Dura Ace hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry, eveyone. It's the 7850.

Sep 2007
    I bought a very similar wheelset recently, and they make a great set of everyday training/commute wheels. The pulsating clicks settled down to a steady tick-tick-tick after about 500 miles. I got mine from Performance and they were ridiculously cheap (much cheaper than the sum of the parts). Both wheels were true out of the box, and the tensions across the front wheel are regular. The rear build isn't quite so even and they've gone slightly out of true after about 750 miles, but that was fixed in about 10 minutes. I figure that if the machine build doesn't work out for the long haul, I'll just slacken all the spokes and redo it myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, ukbloke! That's settled my mind some.

There's one more issue that I forgot to mention: when spinning the rear wheel, I hear a slight metal on metal "tinkling". It sounds like something is rolling down a spoke. Very hard to describe...but I've heard that OP Rims sometimes have noise from the weld. Is this what might be causing this?

Thanks again!

Sep 2007
    It will be some piece of metal inside the rim, possibly from the weld. If you take off the tire, tube and rim-strip, and shake/turn the wheel for a few minutes you can probably get it to fall out. I had a wheel that tinkled for over a year before a little piece of curly metal finally came out when rebuilding it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks again, ukbloke. These wheels are brand spanking new, and I shook them like crazy before applying rim tape, to now avail. Oh well, I think it's something I can live with, as long as it's not going to affect the function/dependability of the wheel.