RoadBikeReview Member

dura-ace or record with Mavic open pro wheelset weight?

You read a lot about this type of build as 'bombproof', etc. For those that have built up Dura-Ace and/or Record hubbed versions with 32/32 DT spokes and Mavic Open Pro's, typically what weight do they come out to?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Performance lists the weight of the Dura Ace FH-7800 with 32 Open Pro's as 1019G. Competitive Cyclist lists it as 10704.0. Diff in weight is prob because Performance does not count the skewers (?)..

jains89
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    Performance lists the weight of the Dura Ace FH-7800 with 32 Open Pro's as 1019G. Competitive Cyclist lists it as 10704.0. Diff in weight is prob because Performance does not count the skewers (?)..
    I have no idea where you got those weights, but there way off. 1019 would be on of the lightest wheelsets available, and 10704 would be about 5 times as heavy as the heaviest wheelset.

My record laced to open pros came in around 1830g. I would assume within 100 grams for the dura ace as well. That weight was without rim strips, skewers, cassette, or anything else, just the wheels.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Excel

Go to Excel's online wheel builder. It lets you pick and choose components and then gives you weights. Be careful as I recall C and S hub weights include skewers and all the chi chi hubs are sans skewers.

Actual Wheel Weights (w/o skewers)

Reflex/Chorus 1,656g (32s/32s) = F 755g R 901g

Open Pro/Chorus 1,727g (32s/32s) = F 795g R 932g

Kysrium Elites 1,732g = F 772g R 960g

Aerohead/DT 240S 1,401g (650c 28s/28s) = F 656g R 745g

DT RR1.1/DT 240S/Revo 1,583g (32s/32s) = F 717g R 866g

(note that some of my hubs are up to 10 years old so may vary from current versions)
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by keppler
    Dura-Ace with 32/32 DT spokes and Mavic Open Pros, what weight do they come out to?
    I should be able to weigh a set for you in about two weeks. I'll guess at between 1600 and 1700g
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I should be able to weigh a set for you in about two weeks. I'll guess at between 1600 and 1700g
    Keep us posted. And if you can put up pictures as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Typo

Quote Originally Posted by jains89
    I have no idea where you got those weights, but there way off. 1019 would be on of the lightest wheelsets available, and 10704 would be about 5 times as heavy as the heaviest wheelset.

My record laced to open pros came in around 1830g. I would assume within 100 grams for the dura ace as well. That weight was without rim strips, skewers, cassette, or anything else, just the wheels.

I pulled them off the Performance and Competitive cyclist sites... the 10704 should read 1070.4. I think you can build wheels online like someone mentioned at Excelsports and they will list the weight. I just had a rear wheel built there. Good work and can't beat the price. You could also check those sites yourself and check... Excelsports also has online help..try there...

A wheelist
    I think you can build wheels online like someone mentioned at Excelsports........I just had a rear wheel built there. Good work and can't beat the price.
    Pardon? Cough!! Try Bicycle Wheel Warehouse.

Their DuraAce 7850/OpenPro/DT Revs/Alum nipples wheelset is $399.95 compared to Excelsport's version at $536.36

That's a difference of a whopping $136.41 Plus BWW throw in their rim tape ($7.95 extra @ Excel)

BWW are a Partner Store here at RBR and at MTBR too. I've been using a set of their wheels for 5 months and the above DuraAce set will be shipped today.

I can't buy the parts for the price that BWW charges for a whole wheelset.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 10-31-2008 at 03:39 AM.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member

Their DuraAce 7850/OpenPro/DT Revs/Alum nipples wheelset is $399.95 compared to Excelsport's version at $536.36

That's a difference of a whopping $136.41 Plus BWW throw in their rim tape ($7.95 extra @ Excel)

BWW are a Partner Store here at RBR and at MTBR too. I've been using a set of their wheels for 5 months and the above DuraAce set will be shipped today.

The prices here are the lowest I've seen. But how reliable are their wheelsets? Are the parts listed exactly what the wheels come with? Anyone dealt with them for support issues?

A wheelist
    The prices here are the lowest I've seen. But how reliable are their wheelsets? Are the parts listed exactly what the wheels come with? Anyone dealt with them for support issues?
    I've been beating on an OP/Ulteg set of their wheels on my 'cross bike, 3x per week for 5 months. The wheels are fine. Of course the parts listed are what the wheels come with. I would imagine their "support" is fine too; I've talked with customer support person Chris many times discussing wheels. He's an upstanding guy.

My new #1 wheelset for my CX bike should ship today - OP/DA7850 with the Ti cassette carrier.

Chris Foster
    Customer service
    info@bicyclewheelwarehouse.com
    Last edited by Mike T.; 11-10-2008 at 06:59 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    yep, mike T is on the money i'd say...

u didn't spec spokes - assuming all DT comp and all alu nipples, i'm tipping around 1660g... around 1700g with all brass nipples... (record)

Durace + ~40g

unless u are locked into all record hubs - i would probably go for a different front hub, hope is my fav... same weight, same hub shell specs, but avail in colors and 28h... i would lace the NDS and front all dt revo to save some weight - but that's me - dunno if you're lighter and if you can be bothered with the revos, which are a pain...~1540g

just saying, no need for OPs to be a 'heavy' build...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last time I checked my bodyweight was at 183lbs. The wheels would not be for racing, only training and club rides, which sometimes feel like 4 hour mini races with sprints, climbs, hammerfests, etc. Roads are pretty nice country roads, we avoid any traffic areas and any rough roads (gravel, packed dirt, bad pavement (when possible)), etc.

I've met a few guys that run Record hubs with Mavics but claimed they were very heavy, yet no one knew exactly what their true weight is.

I'm not hung up on Record. DT Swiss or other good hubs and rims would be fine, provided they fall within my price point and are a reasonable weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wheel set weight as spec'd:
    Mavic OP (black) + DA (7800 front - 7850 rear) + DT Comp 2.0/1.8 (black) + DT red alloy nipples...

Front - 808g
    Rear - 956g
    Set = 1764g

Weight does not include skewers, but it does include about two gallon bottles of Phil's Tenacious Oil...

Regards...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

I should have mentioned

I have a Campy bike. I had a Mavic CXP33 built with a Centaur hub for $208 at Excelsports. All I needed was a rear wheel. From clicking on that link from bicyclewheelwarehouse, they don't carry Campy wheels. I did not look at the prices for Shimano wheels at Excel. Last month Performance had a sale on Record with OP 32 rims for $199.00 (rear). I should have grabbed it.

Yep $136.41 is a big difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Campy bike. I had a Mavic CXP33 built with a Centaur hub for $208 at Excelsports. All I needed was a rear wheel. From clicking on that link from bicyclewheelwarehouse, they don't carry Campy wheels. I did not look at the prices for Shimano wheels at Excel. Last month Performance had a sale on Record with OP 32 rims for $199.00 (rear). I should have grabbed it.

Yep $136.41 is a big difference.
    bicyclewheelwarehouse does have some wheels where you can select Campy hubs, but most seem to be Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Could't find any

bicyclewheelwarehouse does have some wheels where you can select Campy hubs, but most seem to be Shimano.

I could not find any Campy hubs. If you find some, please point me to them. I would be curious with their prices...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I could not find any Campy hubs. If you find some, please point me to them. I would be curious with their prices...
    I'm having some error with my browser on their website, but it was the over $500 ones with DT rims and DT 240 hubs. Scroll right to the bottom to make the selection (with $20 extra charge for the Campy hubs).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    try prowheelbuilder also..

kytyree
    Its been awhile since I weighed mine but with rox rimstrips, DT rev spokes, Open Pros, and 08 Record hubs mine came in around 1550g, IIRC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    DA with Open Pro w/o skewers should be 1680g +/- 10 g, depending on spokes and choice of lacing.

A wheelist
    Keep us posted. And if you can put up pictures as well.
    My wheels just arrived from BWW. Chris, below, is dead on. He should know as he's the BWW man!

Anyway, my weights -

Mavic OP (black) + DA (7800 front - 7850 rear) + DT Comp 2.0/1.8 (black), cross 3 + DT red alloy nipples...

Front - 807g
    Rear - 955g
    Set = 1762g

Weight does not include skewers. Their total - 125g.

They look dead true out of the box. I could throw 'em on my dial indicator wheel jig but I'm not gonna. I'm just going to ride 'em on my dirt road cx bike. I can't wait.

I'll try for pics but it's snowing out!
    Last edited by Mike T.; 11-10-2008 at 07:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is there a difference between DT rev, DT comp and Sapim CX-Ray spokes as far as longevity and how they behave on the road?