View Poll Results: 240lb Rider...Requires: Durability & Strength for fun&fast ..What will you choose??

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Easton EC90 SLX Carbon (tubular)

2 28.57%
  • Fulcrum Racing Zero 2010 (2 way)

5 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

Post Durability & Strength: Easton EC90 SLX Carbon (tubular) Vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2010

Quick Poll Please Fella’s… E or F?

Wheelset Choice:
    Easton EC90 SLX Carbon (tubular) Vs Fulcrum Racing Zero 2010 (2 way)

My priority is strong enough for my weight (E’s and F’s claim to carry my load)… followed by build quality (Easton’s might have the edge) but I am most interested in people’s views on durability of these wheelsets. I was going to get some DT Swiss 1850’s new, but can buy the above mentioned 2/h for same money you see….

- I am 240lb’s and need something strong (call me stubborn but I won’t buy Mavic).
    - These are for everyday – fun and fast training
    - Roads are smooth and flat (no hills)
    - I am not fussed about tubular changing inconvenience

Thanks for reading and appreciate any constructive & informed feedback you can offer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    250lbs is too much for slx... low profile tubbie carbon is pretty flimsy... zeros would easily be the more durable of the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Thanks. I kinda wish Easton would just come out and admit there is a weight limit for their wheels. As it is, they state on their FAQ section that "None of our current (2008 and newer) wheels have rider weight limits" (http://www.eastonbike.com/TECHNICAL/...wheels.html#5). Yet maybe there is... :-) Thanks for responding.

I wonder id there are any big guys out there on carbon tubulars that would like to comment?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

that's ironic...

I would've mentioned the DT Swiss 1850 wheels you counted out. They get very high remarks from clydesdales, the freewheel engagement is super reliable & easily servicable, and spokes & nipples are easily & affordably replacable (just in case).

Of course the other alternitave... is to get a set handbuilt for you.

Online Wheel Builder
    The only carbon wheels that I think would be durable enough for your use would be some Edge 45s or 68s in 24/28.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    the last two comments are spot on.... despite not having very many spokes the 1850s would be nigh on indestructible thanks to the heavy duty ~585g alloy rim.

re rider limits: manufacturers, like campy, state that wheels are intended for racing on smooth bitumen... so u get the idea... u could load 250lbs on slx and it wont detonate, but hit a pothole at high speed and its a different story... my comments do not really concern that, although that is a factor....

but there is little chance that wheels like the slx wont rub the brake pads and flex like mad under 250lbs range , particularly when you get outta the saddle, making it a pretty useless wheel.

based on the 205g edge 25 rims i have built (similar) i have to say they are not super durable and very sensitive to truing. as it is they went to a 160lbs rider, which is about right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crispin
    Thanks. I kinda wish Easton would just come out and admit there is a weight limit for their wheels. As it is, they state on their FAQ section that "None of our current (2008 and newer) wheels have rider weight limits" (http://www.eastonbike.com/TECHNICAL/...wheels.html#5). Yet maybe there is... :-) Thanks for responding.

I wonder id there are any big guys out there on carbon tubulars that would like to comment?
    I weigh about 230 lbs and I've tried both wheels. My vote goes for the Zeroes which is a bit stiffer than the SLX, Though both are really climbing wheels. IMHO, I recommend the Racing 1's if you have long straight, flat roads. Much stiffer and responsive and more durable too.

I ride on Carbonsports Lightweight tubulars on Vittoria tires. No problem for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Thanks guys - I am steering away from the "bargain" SLX's I found. The EDGE 45's look lovely... erm but US$3k or thereabouts (gulp) is gonna be out of my US1k budget. I'll check the global classified's later. None in Singapore though... HAPPY CHRISTMAS one and all!!