RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Easton EA90SL rear wheel drags when coasting

I am installing a new set of Easton EA90SL wheels and noticed that the rear wheel drags when coasting - when I hold the cassette still. It rolls just fine when the cassette turns with the wheel. The drag is such that with a slight push the wheel will stop spinning in less than 1-2 revolutions. The same thing happens with the cassette removed.fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    Is this expected? Is it an adjustment, or a warranty issue? >>
    Look 566
    Chorus 11s
    Easton EA90 SL
    My old legs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by scuollo
    I am installing a new set of Easton EA90SL wheels and noticed that the rear wheel drags when coasting - when I hold the cassette still. It rolls just fine when the cassette turns with the wheel. The drag is such that with a slight push the wheel will stop spinning in less than 1-2 revolutions. The same thing happens with the cassette removed. Is this expected? Is it an adjustment, or a warranty issue?
    If the axle turns smoothly with a light touch of your fingers and there is no feeling of grittiness or binding, then it is likely stiff grease or tight seals. Both will wear in with time and the friction will be reduced. If the axle doesn't turn smoothly, then this is unacceptable for a new hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Kerry - the axle is smooth and rolls freely. It is when the cassette clicks (against the pawls?) that I notice the drag - like when I would be coasting downhill. The "clicks" feel like they are slowing the wheel.
    Look 566
    Chorus 11s
    Easton EA90 SL
    My old legs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Freehub drag

Quote Originally Posted by scuollo
    Thanks Kerry - the axle is smooth and rolls freely. It is when the cassette clicks (against the pawls?) that I notice the drag - like when I would be coasting downhill. The "clicks" feel like they are slowing the wheel.
    Indeed the freehub adds drag, but that is the price for being able to freewheel. If your chain is not drooping, then you don't have a significant amount of freehub drag. Lighter weight lube and a wearing in of seals will likely reduce the drag, but you need to compare your freehubs to some known "good" hubs to see whether your freehub is out of the range of normal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Kerry, how long does it normaly take for the rear hub to "wear in" I am having the same problem with my new Dura Ace CL-24 wheels, sorry to hijack the thread. I was thinking of waiting 2-300ks and then doing what you suggest.

cheers

Ralph

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Follow-up to my concern: I contacted Easton service via their website. I received a response, and after a few notes confirming my problem (not a bearing tension or load adjustment) today I received a new freewheel body. No questions asked - just "Do you think this will fix it?" No receipts, no proof of purchase, no dealer BS.... I am pleased.

Thank You to Easton for your response - based on my experience, buy their stuff with confidence.
    Look 566
    Chorus 11s
    Easton EA90 SL
    My old legs