RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Easton EC90 AERO Carbon clincher questions...

Hello there...

I purchase a set of EC90 Aero's and i rode in them 200 miles including a TT event...
    they are great and fast!!! those bearings roll foreever.

Once morning I hear a popping sound and notoces that my from wheel was not right.

I shipped the wheels to Easton and they repair the wheels in a week and returned them to me under warranty. when Im setting up the wheels i notices 2 issues:

1. i look on the packing slip and i see they replaced all my bearing with Hybrids instead of the ceramic bearings that should come on the R4SL hub the wheels do not spin as freely as before. Any thoughts on that did i get robbed?

2. To make matters worst i instaled the read wheel on the bike and pedal and shifted all the gears on the stand an when i let the cranks go.... they continued to turn... so when I
    grabbed the crank and held them in place the wheel continued to spin but i was able to noticesome friction in the free hib because with the crank held in place the wheel speed starts to slow down faster than before.

I stopped the wheel and started spinnning the crank in reverse and to my surprise the wheel stated spriining backwards.... this tells me there's excesieve friction in there...

-I'm new to this fancy wheels so is this is normal do they required some break in?
    any recomendations? I sent the wheels to EASTON because they are the experts but after getting the posible wrong bearings installed and issues like this and pretty hesitant

any Ideas what's going on?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by TriAZrican View Post
    Hello there...

I purchase a set of EC90 Aero's and i rode in them 200 miles including a TT event...
    they are great and fast!!! those bearings roll foreever.

Once morning I hear a popping sound and notoces that my from wheel was not right.

I shipped the wheels to Easton and they repair the wheels in a week and returned them to me under warranty. when Im setting up the wheels i notices 2 issues:

1. i look on the packing slip and i see they replaced all my bearing with Hybrids instead of the ceramic bearings that should come on the R4SL hub the wheels do not spin as freely as before. Any thoughts on that did i get robbed?

2. To make matters worst i instaled the read wheel on the bike and pedal and shifted all the gears on the stand an when i let the cranks go.... they continued to turn... so when I
    grabbed the crank and held them in place the wheel continued to spin but i was able to noticesome friction in the free hib because with the crank held in place the wheel speed starts to slow down faster than before.

I stopped the wheel and started spinnning the crank in reverse and to my surprise the wheel stated spriining backwards.... this tells me there's excesieve friction in there...

-I'm new to this fancy wheels so is this is normal do they required some break in?
    any recomendations? I sent the wheels to EASTON because they are the experts but after getting the posible wrong bearings installed and issues like this and pretty hesitant

any Ideas what's going on?
    1) hybrid bearings ARE ceramic. they have ceramic balls and steel races. this is exactly what you hubs had before. the reason they don't spin as well is that they actually have grease in them now because they are new.
    2) the bearings in your rear may have slightly too much preload OR it's the same as #1...they have grease in them, and this will make them 'feel' slightly slower. if the axle feels smooth and turns easily w/ your fingers, don't worry about it. if they feel tight, you can adjust them just a bit looser and it will be fine.

why didn't you just call easton and ask them about all of this? they have excellent customer service and would explain everything to you.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    CXWrench,
    Thanks for the reply..... I tried to called for they were close on Friday when I was doing this....

I'm very new to the fancy wheels.... so i deceided not to ride on the wheels since i have to used every
    extra penny i had to but those suckers ;)

In my desperation i deceided to seek any advise in order to ride over the weekend and last night I came accross this site.

I can tell you thatthe folks at EASTON are great I just dont know enough about the product.... I'm learning as I go....

Thanks again I will set my rig and give it a break in ride....

'brifter' is a lame word.
    how did the wheels work? all good?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Cxwrench I broke the bearings in and they ride fine...
    After I called EASTON they reveal to me that they put in steel bearings
    Instead of ceramics ( same as R4 hubs) I was a bit disappointed but since they
    Did the repair for free I don't blame them.

I order the ceramic ones and they get here this week... I will ride the steel bearings for a while
    And change before my race!!!

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by TriAZrican View Post
    And change before my race!!!
    Gotta have the placebo effect to enjoy racing!

But seriously.. I know you bought these already so I guess it's too late for you. But to anyone else reading and wondering if they need ceramics, I would advise to be a skeptic. Hybrid ceramics are bicycle industry standard and are much different than pure ceramic bearings.
    So unless your going straight to Boeing and plucking bearings off the ceramic tree, then save your money and don't get had by marketing gimmicks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    One thing I noticed is like when turning or off the saddle I hear some rattle but everything looks good and feels good... Any chance that could be the tires?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Zen Cyclery
    As I said before I just wanted the wheels they way I sent them over there.... The bearings they used for the repair where non full steel bearings not the ceramic hybrid.

I'm leving what I have in there for a while.... Thanks for your comment