RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Easton EC90 Aero55 tubular wheelset is badly constructed?

A while back I got these tubular wheels and wrote a good review on them from an aero and handling point of view. Well, after a few months of using them, they start to fall apart. To be specific, both front and rear rims have delaminated big time when I removed the tubular tires. I have never seen a glued tubular tired can so easily peel off a layer of rim material like in this instance.

I used the Vittoria One mastik glue, and applied one medium (not thick) layer to the rim and one medium layer to the tire base tape. If anything, that's on the light side as many mech will apply two layers to the rim?

The problem is that these Aero55 use some sort of Kevlar layer (not carbon fiber) as the final layer because they wanted to extend this layer to the brake tracks too (so the layer goes from brake track to rim to the other brack track, all in one contiguous swoop). Braking is great. But who would have though tubular glue could rip this layer right off the rim!

changingleaf
    I've seen this happen on some older Zipp rims. The Vittoria mastik is strong glue, but the rim should be designed for this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I've seen this happen on some older Zipp rims. The Vittoria mastik is strong glue, but the rim should be designed for this.
    yeah the Mastik is strong stuff. First time when I used 2 layers on the rim and 1 layer on the base tape, removing the tire was a 20 min job filled with cursing. Reducing down to 1 layer on rim and base tape makes it a little (but barely) easier to remove. Then I went down to 1 layer on the rim, none on the base tape, and it was easier to remove but still needed some force, apparently enough to rip some kevlar fibers off the Easton!

Anyone who uses 2 layers of this glue stuff, good luck removing it.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I use Mastik 1. On new rims I use 2 coats (which are allowed to dry completely) and 2 coats on the tire (drying the same). I then apply another coat to the rim and mount the tire. I don't mind if it's difficult to get a worn out or flatted tire off the time because I certainly don't want if coming while it's being ridden.

I can't imagine using only 1 coat of glue on the rim and none on the tire, in my mind that's suicidal. You don't shoot for a tire that's 'easy' to remove when it's worn or flat, but you want the thing to stay on the rim no matter what happens when you're riding.

When you need to remove a tire try using a big flat screwdriver. CAREFULLY push/pry it under the base tape so it's centered over the rim and then roll it. That will make removing a tire much easier. I rock the screwdriver a bit and roll it towards me. Works great.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    i'm hesitant to use a screwdriver due to fear of damaging the carbon, but trust me I've been tempted. Had to resort to just cutting up a half used tire and pull it out with a plier once, after some 20 min of unable to peel it out and fingers were going red by then. I now use this thing it looks like a small "paint scrapper" (but it's got a slight arc to it) so you can easily wedge into the base tape and rim and slowly wiggly it in while rolling and twisting like you said. The "scraper thing" provides a better and flatter surface area such that when you twist and roll, it won't bite into the carbon as easily as a screwdriver would

ehg, i'll probably go back to 1 layer of glue on rim 1 on tire. My brush is an acid brush from Home depot so my application of 1 layer is probably a bit thicher than yous. No way I'm going back to 2 layers because that tire was stuck like cement even after some 9 months. Besides i'm only 120 lbs. Never had any flatted tire (going at speed) even come close to peeling on me, not even close. I'm considering going to tape since I'm light, I know you don't like tape, but i'm light though
    Last edited by aclinjury; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:46 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

heat gun!

guys, use a heat gun to soften the glue before you starting trying to peel off the tire- helps A TON!

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    i'm hesitant to use a screwdriver due to fear of damaging the carbon, but trust me I've been tempted. Had to resort to just cutting up a half used tire and pull it out with a plier once, after some 20 min of unable to peel it out and fingers were going red by then.

ehg, i'll probably go back to 1 layer of glue on rim 1 on tire. My brush is an acid brush from Home depot so my application of 1 layer is probably a bit thicher than yous. No way I'm going back to 2 layers because that tire was stuck like cement even after some 9 months. Besides i'm only 120 lbs. Never had any flatted tire (going at speed) even come close to peeling on me, not even close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by allezdude View Post
    guys, use a heat gun to soften the glue before you starting trying to peel off the tire- helps A TON!
    good idea! but you wanna carry my heat gun for me on my rides??

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by allezdude View Post
    Heat gun on carbon? Seriously? Maybe another idea would be to ride the brakes hard down a mountain and once your rims starts to delaminate you'd know the tires are ready to come off easier.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    i'm hesitant to use a screwdriver due to fear of damaging the carbon, but trust me I've been tempted. Had to resort to just cutting up a half used tire and pull it out with a plier once, after some 20 min of unable to peel it out and fingers were going red by then. I now use this thing it looks like a small "paint scrapper" (but it's got a slight arc to it) so you can easily wedge into the base tape and rim and slowly wiggly it in while rolling and twisting like you said. The "scraper thing" provides a better and flatter surface area such that when you twist and roll, it won't bite into the carbon as easily as a screwdriver would

ehg, i'll probably go back to 1 layer of glue on rim 1 on tire. My brush is an acid brush from Home depot so my application of 1 layer is probably a bit thicher than yous. No way I'm going back to 2 layers because that tire was stuck like cement even after some 9 months. Besides i'm only 120 lbs. Never had any flatted tire (going at speed) even come close to peeling on me, not even close. I'm considering going to tape since I'm light, I know you don't like tape, but i'm light though
    Whatever you think will work. I use the same acid brush but cut about 3-4mm off the bristles so they don't spread out as much and get any glue on the side of the rim. Someone showed me that last year and damn if it doesn't help!

Are you thinking just one layer on rim and tire and that's it? As in glue on the tire, let it dry, then glue on a clean rim and mount? I'd at very minimum go one on the rim, let it dry then another coat on the rim and mount the tire. How many you put on the tire depends on how the base tape is coated or not...most conti tires aren't coated and the base tape sucks up a ton of glue and you really need 2 coats.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards