aka Zoo
    Apr 2003

Easton Sagitta vs. Visa SL weight difference?

Can anyone tell me what makes the Easton Sagitta wheels about 230g heavier than the Easton Vista SL's? The Sagittas weigh in at 1927g/pr and the Vista SL's are 1697g/pr. I just bought a pair of the Sagittas dirt cheap to use on my cross bike and was wondering where the added weight comes in since they seem to be almost the exact same wheels with the exception that the Sagittas are disc brake compatible.
    2005 Orbea Lobular 100 - 2005 Hot Tubes Carbon - 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc - 2007 Kona Major Jake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    hubs are probably the majority of the weight...

past that there's another 12 spokes and the rim is different...

so basically there's nothing that's the same on those two wheelsets

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    hubs are probably the majority of the weight...

past that there's another 12 spokes and the rim is different...

so basically there's nothing that's the same on those two wheelsets
    ah, didn't notice the spoke count different, I new it had a different rim but a lower profile so I didn't think that would account for the weight difference. thanks.
    2005 Orbea Lobular 100 - 2005 Hot Tubes Carbon - 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc - 2007 Kona Major Jake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DRLski
    ah, didn't notice the spoke count different, I new it had a different rim but a lower profile so I didn't think that would account for the weight difference. thanks.
    When comparing wheel weight, don't worry about the spoke count. Spokes don't weigh much - the lightest spokes and nipples are about 4 grams each, and the heaviest are about 8 grams each. Even if the heaviest, thickest spokes are used, 12 spokes can only add about 96 grams - but since these wheels probably use butted spokes, the 12 spokes probably only about 70 grams.

While in general higher profile rims weigh more than lower profile rims, this is not always the case. There are 34 mm deep rims that weigh 450 grams each, and 18 mm deep rims that weigh 600 grams each.

However, in this case, ctracer01 is probaly right, the majority of the weight difference is probably in the hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    dude, you just said that 12 spokes are around 70 grams...we're only talking about a 300 gram difference in wheel weights here....so it kinda is a big deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Big deal vs. small deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    dude, you just said that 12 spokes are around 70 grams...we're only talking about a 300 gram difference in wheel weights here....so it kinda is a big deal.
    Since the 12 extra spokes only accounts for about 1/4 of the weight difference, it is really just a small deal. There's something else different that's a much bigger deal. As you said earlier, and I agreed with, the largest difference is still probably in the hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    yea....but....it's 1/4

you've gotta understand that i'm sort of a weight weenie...and a quarter of possible weight savings to me is like...a lot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    or you could just eat one less Gu today and save weight AND money.