Page 107 of 152 FirstFirst ... 105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3778
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Sorry guys, sold my old wheels and needed to ship them out today, so rushed and tried to get everything together on the new ones before taking pics. Unfortunately couldn't get the new tires on. Why I buy new tires in the winter is besides me, its always so cold I cant get that crap on. I'll take some pics tonight after going by the shop to finish putting the tires on with everything mounted up.
    Hi Creatre: did you have to pay customs tax on your wheels? Just placed an order with Yoeleo for the Superlight 38mm model.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Hi,Create Very beautiful bike. Wheels look great. What does SAT mean that you mention? And can you share link? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    Well, FarSport came back and responded to me and said to sand down the bubbling of the carbon as it is only in appearance. I told them that it is not acceptable and will not use the wheels in those condition.

I was going to purchase another wheelset but given their response and completely ignoring their warranty, I absolutely CANNOT recommend purchasing from them again. It's messed up when you tires last 4X as long as your rims. For reference, my Conti GP 4000S are 2-1/2 years old and have >4K miles and still has plenty of miles left.

Bottom line: I got 5 months of use (1.5K miles) out of a $550 wheelset. You guys can figure it out it it's worth it for you.
    Funny thing people say about Chinese rims "You get what you pay for"
    Looks like this is the case here. But getting Carbon Clinchers from China was the first mistake you made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I have been looking around at the 23mm carbon tubulars out there... They are sold as CX wheels. I am curious if you guys think they would have similar aero properties (in regard to the 'lightbulb effect' of tires being wider than the rim). I would like to use them for road racing and then maybe for CX next fall. Then I could pass my race wheels (16 spoke bontragers) on to my wife... who is 80# lighter than me, maybe more appropriate for her

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    A lot of brave people here... I was going to try out Yishun wheels but after having three failed frames from them, no way would I use a Chinese supplier ever again. Wheels... if they fail, you do down fast. Hell you have local builders such as Williams and others who make light wheels for half the price of Zipp.
    Check them out - if your Chinese built wheels or frame fails, you are in a bad place to recieve any compensation or even a replacement. After complaining to `Danny' who introduced himself as the sales manager at Yishun, regarding third frame in a row to reach me with catastrophic manufacturing faults I just got abuse and a message daring me to complain to AliExpress... "I will play with you" his charming last words.
    Satan alive... why even risk it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Like I was saying in another thread - you have domestic wheel makers such as Williams, or 2Quick and even Planet X now. There are mid priced alternatives to risking your neck on cheap Chinese wheels. Ive only bought 4 items from the far east; bars from Carbon Zone, and 2 frames from Yishun, and they were all so badly made non of them made it to the road in the first place. Well non bar one frame, FM 032 which snapped in under an hour.
    Like I'd wish to try that again with badly made carbon wheels! Death in a word.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You do realize Williams, or 2Quick and even Planet X are almost certainly all made in China also and they just put their logo on them and charge you twice as much. They may not even do QC work on them, who knows.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    You do realize Williams, or 2Quick and even Planet X are almost certainly all made in China also and they just put their logo on them and charge you twice as much. They may not even do QC work on them, who knows.
    Vendors like Planet X deal with well-established carbon manufacturers and do QC checks. When you buy small orders direct on your own you have no idea who made the item or even if it is a defect from a factory that someone has bought from an employee who stole it from the reject pile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    Vendors like Planet X deal with well-established carbon manufacturers and do QC checks. When you buy small orders direct on your own you have no idea who made the item or even if it is a defect from a factory that someone has bought from an employee who stole it from the reject pile.
    yep - what Steve just said. Sound like a plan?

always right sometimes
    Well, FarSport came back and responded to me and said to sand down the bubbling of the carbon as it is only in appearance. I told them that it is not acceptable and will not use the wheels in those condition.

I was going to purchase another wheelset but given their response and completely ignoring their warranty, I absolutely CANNOT recommend purchasing from them again. It's messed up when you tires last 4X as long as your rims. For reference, my Conti GP 4000S are 2-1/2 years old and have >4K miles and still has plenty of miles left.

Bottom line: I got 5 months of use (1.5K miles) out of a $550 wheelset. You guys can figure it out it it's worth it for you.
    I am surprised that if you can actually push the bubbles on the wheel in and they are "soft" that FarSports will not replace the wheel.

There is a big language barrier. Are you sure that they understand exactly what has happened to the wheel.

They know they have a LOT to lose if things go wrong on these forums for them. Let them know that you post here...loved the wheel...just want a replacement and that you will let everyone know how great they are....yadda yadda..

Note: I have the same wheels. I have noticed that there seems to be some raised bumps on my rear wheel. I am not sure if it is brake pad debris/build-up or if the carbon has gone wrong... I was thinking about sanding it down. Hmmm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    If the bumps are on the surface away from the brake track and the bead, they could be cosmetic. From what I've read, it sounds like the wheels are all 3k carbon, and if you specify UD finish, they put a layer over the top to give it that finish.

It wasn't specified what finish your wheels are, but if it's not 3k, I'm guessing that it's in the finish layer only and could probably be sanded down without issue. Makes me wonder if I should have ordered 3k instead of UD...

EDIT: I just looked at the pics again. That appears to be on the 3k brake track, so not cosmetic...

That being said, they really should provide a replacement for it. Rydbyk is right, most of these chinese vendors rely heavily on forum feedback, so any negative responses should be dealt with quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Has anyone recently purchased from Velobuild.com lately? I ordered some Far Sport 50mm N Series Wheels on Dec. 5 and received a confirmation email, but I haven't heard from Far Sport. This is the first time I have gone through this process, and was curious how long it takes to hear from Far Sport.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinetako View Post
    If the bumps are on the surface away from the brake track and the bead, they could be cosmetic. From what I've read, it sounds like the wheels are all 3k carbon, and if you specify UD finish, they put a layer over the top to give it that finish.

It wasn't specified what finish your wheels are, but if it's not 3k, I'm guessing that it's in the finish layer only and could probably be sanded down without issue. Makes me wonder if I should have ordered 3k instead of UD...

EDIT: I just looked at the pics again. That appears to be on the 3k brake track, so not cosmetic...

That being said, they really should provide a replacement for it. Rydbyk is right, most of these chinese vendors rely heavily on forum feedback, so any negative responses should be dealt with quickly.
    FarSports came back and said they will send me a new rim (I pay shipping and will have to pay for the re-build). This was last week and I haven't heard back since even after I told them to let me know where to send the shipping cost. Not looking good so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I received an email from Mae at Far Sports last night saying that they have my order and will email me once they ship it. So far so good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Just got an email from Kyle at FarSports. My wheels will be shipping this week! There was a delay since I ordered the brand new 38x23mm clincher rim.

And for anyone interested in the "no spoke hole" build (Yoeleo calles it SAT, FarSport does it on request) I got some pictures detailing the build process from Kyle.

The "secret" is magnets:
    - Hook a piece of steel spoke to a string, feed it in the spoke hole

- Use magnets to pull it out through valve hole

- Thread on nipple

-Pull into place

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Anyone heard of carbon/alloy rims lower than 38mm? I would love some 24s!
    Killing a new set of DAs or RS80s is not an option

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    This may sound like a silly question to ask, but the website wheelsfar(dot)com is indeed (at least one of) the site(s) to order Farsports wheels, right? I'm somewhat confused, as I've seen multiple website links and am not sure what to follow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, wheelsfar is one of the Farsports sites. They have the same contact info as the main Farsports website.

I recommend just contacting them directly (info at farsports) and work with them. They will work with you to get exactly what you want and send you an invoice. They know the current stock and have some products that aren't on the website yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Yes, wheelsfar is one of the Farsports sites. They have the same contact info as the main Farsports website.

I recommend just contacting them directly (info at farsports) and work with them. They will work with you to get exactly what you want and send you an invoice. They know the current stock and have some products that aren't on the website yet.
    Alright, thank you so much! Now to save up for some 50mm CC's =P

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Mae at Farsports said they'll warranty the rim provided I pay for shipping. Well, it's been a 11 days since I paid for shipping and I'm still waiting for an indication they'll honor it. It's tough trying to remain patient but I'm keeping the faith.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I am surprised that if you can actually push the bubbles on the wheel in and they are "soft" that FarSports will not replace the wheel.

There is a big language barrier. Are you sure that they understand exactly what has happened to the wheel.

They know they have a LOT to lose if things go wrong on these forums for them. Let them know that you post here...loved the wheel...just want a replacement and that you will let everyone know how great they are....yadda yadda..

Note: I have the same wheels. I have noticed that there seems to be some raised bumps on my rear wheel. I am not sure if it is brake pad debris/build-up or if the carbon has gone wrong... I was thinking about sanding it down. Hmmm

Surprisingly communication with them at Farsports was better than most other places I've dealt with. Do your rims have the same symptoms? I was tempted to try their carbon/alloy wheels to avoid this problem but I really wanted to see if they'll stand by their product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    My wheels are in the mail! Kyle sent some photos of them when they were complete. 1308g, Edhub, 38x23 rims.

The $20 for the no hole build (like Yoeleo SAT) looks pretty good. Can't wait to get these, even though it's cold and rainy here now. I guess I'll find out the wet-weather braking performance right away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I was tempted to try their carbon/alloy wheels to avoid this problem but I really wanted to see if they'll stand by their product.
    There's some good reviews of these in the velobuild forum. I was tempted due to all the rain here, but I really wanted the wider 23mm rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Omrep, thank you for the posts. Do you know anything about Yoeleo? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Just wanted to give an account of my experience (carbon clincher rims 38mm with basalt by Farsports)

After lots of reading here I have just bought, and received, a pair of carbon clincher rims in 38mm with basalt from Farsports. Thanks to everybody for all the information

Basalt is supposed to improve braking and increase resistance to the heat that builds up during braking

Without going via their website i contacted Smart directly at: sales(at)farsports.cn
    telling him what i wanted to buy. I also asked to be sent some information on the tests they run on the rims and i also asked to see detailed pictures of the rims before they are sent to me

Transaction:
    Smart sent me test reports for fatigue testing and for braking heat build-up testing, with graphs and tables and colours and all that. I donít understand fatigue tests, so i did not really read these. But iíd taken an interest in heat build-up testing since i started looking into buying carbon clinchers, though, so i did look at the other tests he sent me. And the braking heat build-up tests that Smart sent me look exactly like those Cole run on their wheels (www(dot)colewheels(dot)com): the protocols are exactly the same, but the results/values are way better than those on Cole wheels, a little too good in fact: Cole measure an average of just above 100 degrees Celsius in their braking tests, Farsports get... 39 degrees Celsius. And Smart says that the rim stands temperature higher than 180 degrees

Smart said i could have my wheels tested if i wanted. But i said no

I paid. Smart sent me detailed pictures of the rims

I realised that i had forgotten to get brake pads. Smart asked if i used Campagnolo or Shimano (apparently different brands have different fits for brake pads). I replied Shimano. I paid

Smart sent the rims the same day and immediately, and spontaneously, also sent me the tracking number

Smart is very patient and very nice

Payment:
    Smartís financial officer sent me a Paypal invoice. His/her email address is a bit strange: ninacool82(at)yahoo.com

So i paid the bills to ninacool82(at)yahoo.com: £262 (for 2 rims + transport to England) and £5 (for 3 pairs of brake pads)

Waiting time:
    I paid on the 13th of December and i received the package on 20th December

The rims:
    The rims are 38mm carbon clincher, advertised at 390 grams. I did not weigh them but the weight seems right. The rims were very well packed and they seem of very good quality. I will have them built after the Christmas holiday.

If they donít break while lacing iíll come back to tell you how they ride

Page 107 of 152 FirstFirst ... 105106107108109 ... LastLast