Page 1 of 151 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 2.0

Does anyone have feedback on the China - Carbon Clinchers listed on EBay? (Are they safe) I'm looking at a set of 88MM carbon clinchers for around $600 shipped to my door. Please let me know what you think...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I bought tubular rims from CarbonZone and, well, they are what they are - cheap Chinese rims. I think they're pretty nice, especially for the money, but certainly not in the same league as $1000 rims (or even, for that matter, $500 Taiwanese carbon rims). But they built up nicely and ride well. I only have a few hundred miles on them, so I can't say how durable they will be over the long term. I'm just not sold on cheap carbon clinchers yet, especially really cheap ones.

So again, they are what they are - cheap Chinese wheels. CarbonZone is a good seller who will deliver them on time and well packaged (took four days for mine to arrive from China).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Is it the hubs that makes them poor quality? Or does the rim feel cheap? Would it even be worth just buying the rims and builfing on better hubs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Many of these "cheap" Chinese wheelsets are built on Chosen, Novatec, Powerway, or Bitex hubs (all made in Taiwan), which are all pretty nice. They're not Chris King or DT Swiss or White Industry hubs, but they're light and work well. My fear would be that the build itself wouldn't be of the highest quality. When I brought my rims and hubs to my LBS, I knew my mechanic would put a lot of care into the build. And he did. Who knows who's actually lacing these up. But as far as the actual parts, they're probably fine if not, again, of the same quality as really nice Taiwanese rims. The fact is that the parts and labor just don't cost much in China.

If you're not up to building wheels yourself, but want to get into carbon on the cheap, I think sourcing your rims and hubs and then letting a local wheel builder build them (and let hiim sell you the spokes so he can make a few extra bucks) is the way to go. You get what you want for relatively little, the local guy gets some work, and you have a place to go when they need servicing. Everyone wins. While there are certainly some expert wheel builders out there who create an especially fine product (some of them are here), with so many amateurs building their own wheels, most competent LBS mechanics will probably be able to do a good job as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Where can you get some of these nice Taiwanese rims that you are talking about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgey
    Where can you get some of these nice Taiwanese rims that you are talking about.
    Sorry, can't help you there. I've seen a few sets Taiwanese manufactured rims being offered on eBay, but they're rather pricey, unlike the Chinese sets being sold for $200-$300. I was just checking some of those out and the 3K weaves do look pretty nice. There are also some Taiwanese-manufactured wheelsets (with, I'm pretty sure, Taiwanese carbon rims) on eBay for around $750 shipped (Matrix). They look like a very good deal, probably worth the extra $200. You probably could get another $50 off if you did an off-eBay transaction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SBH1973
    Sorry, can't help you there. I've seen a few sets Taiwanese manufactured rims being offered on eBay, but they're rather pricey, unlike the Chinese sets being sold for $200-$300. I was just checking some of those out and the 3K weaves do look pretty nice. There are also some Taiwanese-manufactured wheelsets (with, I'm pretty sure, Taiwanese carbon rims) on eBay for around $750 shipped (Matrix). They look like a very good deal, probably worth the extra $200. You probably could get another $50 off if you did an off-eBay transaction.
    But Matrix is also made in China.. There are very few carbon rims which are actually produced in Taiwan. Don't mix them together. The qualities are very different..

A guy from Norway
    Gigantex is not the only kid on the block

There are several good actors just across the fjord
    Nationality and quality should not be confused.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! after the posting I'm going to place my order on the Carbon Clinchers. I'll let you know how it turns out..
    BTW, I'm going with Shimano hub body on the wheelset. Do you (bikehubstore) sell campy hub body for the Novatec hubs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox
    But Matrix is also made in China.. There are very few carbon rims which are actually produced in Taiwan. Don't mix them together. The qualities are very different..
    I thought Matrix rims were made by Gigantex, perhaps the biggest rim manufacturer in Taiwan, but I could and probably am wrong. Maybe it was Planet X. Mega Composite Technology, I'm certain, does manufacture in Taiwan.

http://www.megacomposite.com.tw/

Again, I've heard that the Taiwanese rims are higher quality, and it seems to make sense that they would be, but perhaps the Chinese factories are getting close.

flinty-eyed moderator

Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 2.0

Since the last thread was very popular, but getting very unwieldy in size. I have opened version 2.0 for your posting pleasure.

Dont worry version 1.0 is still available to read and search right here: China carbon wheels

Big thread issues? Switch the linear view.

Don't like a poster- add him to your ignore list. Poof problem solved.

Someone's spamming the thread- hit reported post [!]

Happy posting!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Is there any difference between gigantex rims and yishun rims or are they the same?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke76
    Is there any difference between gigantex rims and yishun rims or are they the same?
    Yes, Gigantex are made in Taiwan, which enjoys a better reputation for carbon rims (and carbon bike products in general) than China. They're also a lot more expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke76
    Yes are different. We produce our rims, and we are proud of them.
    YishunBike Stefano
    email: stefano@yishunbike.com yishunstefano@gmail.com
    Site: www.yishunstefano.com
    Facebook: Yishun Bike Stefano

banned
    Apr 2010
    I have had great experience with Gigantex rims. They are rock solid. I bought a few sets from a contact in Taiwan. Paid $385 per set, including skewers, pads, etc.

BikesDirect had a sale a few years ago for Gigantex rims on Novatec hubs and Pillar spokes branded as "Vuelta" for $298. Screaming deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by YishunBike Stefano
    Yes are different. We produce our rims, and we are proud of them.
    How is the profile on your rims compared to the gigantex rims?

Velocipediologist
    @DiegoMontoya
    agreed, Gigantex are some of the best out there. But where is an [B]individual[B] going to get them? Their Front Office won't talk to individuals. If you convince them you are a company you have to order (30) sets minimum. I have tried for months to find a source..........no luck.
    Please tell us what you know. Still have a Taiwan connection?

Velocipediologist
    Someone's spamming the thread- hit reported post [!]
    Coolhand, a little help please. I'm relatively new to this forum and to forums in general. You make the warning about how to deal with people "spamming" this forum. Well........I think I know what 'spamming' means. Isn't this entire Thread from China Carbon Wheels right up to this Vol. II of China Carbon Wheels just one HUGE spam?
    Its nothing more than a platform for a Chinese co. to sell their wheels. So please explain what "spamming" is because I guess I don't get it.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by metoou2
    @DiegoMontoya
    agreed, Gigantex are some of the best out there. But where is an [B]individual[B] going to get them? Their Front Office won't talk to individuals. If you convince them you are a company you have to order (30) sets minimum. I have tried for months to find a source..........no luck.
    Please tell us what you know. Still have a Taiwan connection?
    My connection was Samuel Li. He used to work at Look bicycles, I believe. He was able to get me 3 sets of wheels, 2 cross frames, and 2 road frames, as well as bars, posts, etc.

My friends ended up snapping up all the wheels, so I never kept any for myself, other than the Vueltas. I contacted Sam through Alibaba. I forgot his company name... Very reputable guy. Always called me to make sure I received the orders.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by metoou2
    Coolhand, a little help please. I'm relatively new to this forum and to forums in general. You make the warning about how to deal with people "spamming" this forum. Well........I think I know what 'spamming' means. Isn't this entire Thread from China Carbon Wheels right up to this Vol. II of China Carbon Wheels just one HUGE spam?
    Its nothing more than a platform for a Chinese co. to sell their wheels. So please explain what "spamming" is because I guess I don't get it.
    The threads are a platform for buyers and potential buyers to discuss their experiences with these products. No companies actually spam these threads with their advertisements. At least that is my interpretation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    my 60mm clinchers..
    still hot from the box...

banned
    Apr 2010
    Here is Sam's contact info if anyone is interested.

http://www.alibaba.com/member/samuel1019.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shimagnolo
    my 60mm clinchers..

@shimagnolo - Toto I'm excited and looking forward soon for your review on this wheels. Specially in your area where there are lots of hills to test the braking capacity of this product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    got a weight on those? are they the new pillar spokes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Other colors?

Quote Originally Posted by shimagnolo
    my 60mm clinchers..

Can your connection only do red and black or are there other color combos

Page 1 of 151 123 ... LastLast