Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a wheelset with at the core (or at the outskirts) a chinese rim from Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods
    The RM88C-25mm (RM88C-25mm road bike 88mm carbon clincher rim 25mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd) to be exact.

Does anybody have experience with the fabricator or one of these rims?

I'm looking to build it up along with Hope Mono RS hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Sapim nipples on a 18f 24r spoke count.
    Go ahead, great service and reliable products. My rims still go true on my CS-RB01 bike, some other guys are happy with their frames or bikes from Peter as well just like me.
    Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Wink

(source:Mega Composit - MR50AXUL)
    Hi I am looking for the rims with spokes end in alloy part (sort of mavic type), is there any chance find some "more safety rims" from China market? Thanks
    we in Slovakia have a lot of road holes and others anti-carbon stuff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anybody riding the 38 mm depth, 23 mm width clincher Yoeleo wheels? Interested in hearing some feedback on the quality of those...though I'm sure they're similar to the other depth/width Yoeloe wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Anybody riding the 38 mm depth, 23 mm width clincher Yoeleo wheels? Interested in hearing some feedback on the quality of those...though I'm sure they're similar to the other depth/width Yoeloe wheels.
    I just pulled the trigger on a set of that set up from Yoeleo.
    I went with 38mm deep/23mm wide, 18k glossy (matte wasn't in stock ) finish with their lightweight hubs. I'll post some feedback after arrival and after I get some miles on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    Anyone has a long term review of 34mm or 45mm from light bicycle?

What are the disadvantages of having basalt braking surface?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    Hi, I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help me here.

I have a Top End Force RX handbike, and would like to fit it with carbon wheels, but the corm wheels are way to expensive for my use.

The front hub in total is 130mm and with QR
    The rear hubs are only 65mm in width, and with 1/2" axle instead of 9mm or 15mm

The wheels needs to be 650C (571) wheels.

I cannot find suiting hubs for them, and neither does the chinese suppliers have them.

Do you know where I can find hubs with these measurements

THANKS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Beating a dead horse (Chinese wheels)...

Interested in an 88 mm 25 wide carbon clinchers
    The best deal I have found(with basalt breaking) is eBay for $400
    Does anyone have any experience with these particular sets?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161703134205
    Red eagles carbon clincher

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/261901193051
    CN carbon
    Yes I've googled,read the sticky's,threads,warnings,praises and such
    Just looking for new,firsthand reviews
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

Trying to Decide width and shape of carbon clincher

I'm about to take my first dip in to the carbon wheelset waters, but I have lots of experience with China Direct Carbon as I've built a number of bikes up from FlyXii framesets.

I know I want 38mm clinchers, but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I want a WIDER rim or would prefer one with the NEWER U shape.

Carbon-cycle on eBay has a 27mm wide rim that they call "U shape," but it is not the same as the "new 2016 U shape" that Farsport is now selling. Farsport's rim is 23mm in width, but is a much more definite "U" all the way down to the bottom.

Both of these wheelsets are 38mm deep, and right around 1400 grams, with similar hubs and CX Ray spokes.

I'm currently riding Pacenti SL23 (v2) very wide aluminum clinchers. I do about 4,000 miles a year on the road, from flat group rides, to climbing, to mixed rollers. I want an all-around wheel. I like running wider tires on the wide aluminum rims.

So can anyone advise on how a slightly less wide rim in the NEW U shape stacks up to a slightly wider rim with a bit more of a v shape?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    My two cents gentlemen...steer clear of random ebay sellers that haven't been in operation for very long. The cheaper deal is not always the "best" deal. Most of the stories of delamination or bad build quality come from random ebay or aliexpress vendors.

Yoeleo (I purchased from them and am totally satisfied with product and service.)
    Farsports
    Light-Bicycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Replying to myself here, in case it helps someone else down the line. I'm leaning now toward the Light-Bicycle 35mm clincher. It's the new U shape; it's 25mm wide; it's impressively light 1350 grams with Bitex Hubs and CX Ray spokes.

It moves my budget up to $700, but I think it's worth it.

This just leaves the final decision: to go for the yellow decals or not?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by crtmnster View Post
    Interested in an 88 mm 25 wide carbon clinchers
    The best deal I have found(with basalt breaking) is eBay for $400
    Does anyone have any experience with these particular sets?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161703134205
    Red eagles carbon clincher

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/261901193051
    CN carbon
    Yes I've googled,read the sticky's,threads,warnings,praises and such
    Just looking for new,firsthand reviews
    Thanks
    Wow, 1st post almost 10 years after first joining the forum. Impressive.

I haven't bought from either of the above sellers, but I would encourage anyone to look past the 99.9% feedback ratings, and drill down to feedback specific to wheel purchases. Many of these sellers also get feedback from selling inexpensive accessories, apparel, non-cycling stuff, etc. - pretty useless for someone shopping for wheels.

Also, if you buy wheels on eBay, please don't give positive seller feedback because your wheels arrived on time, nicely packaged, and appear to be "solid" and "good quality." Ride the wheels for about a hundred miles, then get the wheels checked out, tension checked/adjusted, see how true they still are, then give feedback. Feedback at that time will be far more valuable to others also looking to save money on carbon fiber wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Any experience with Carbonal for rims? Specifically looking for asymmetric tubular rims for CX. They are the only ones I can find that are wider (25mm). TIA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I have a pair of Farsport 38 mm carbon clincher with DT240 subset and must have done close to 10,000k on them, in 3 years. They are my main wheel set, but I have others in use. At the end of last season, I have installed a 25 mm Schwable One tire at the rear and ran probably 1000 km on it. Yesterday, I had a blowout. Tire look fine, rim look fine, put a new tube and it blow again at 100 psi. I install, my old michelin Pro4 SC 23 mm inflated at 120 psi as a test and it hold. I will run them at 110 psi.
    I like the Schwable tire because they were easy to install were as the Pro 4 are a real pain do mounted by hand.

SO is it a defective tire or the side of the rim that flex because its getting old?
    How many kilometer do you expect from those rim how do you check if they are safe ? I do mainly long distance ride 80 - 120 km without to much braking...

After close examination, I have found that the hook of this clincher tire is defective. The rim is perfectly fine. This is a potentially a very dangerous defect. You dont want your tire to pop out the rim at high speed, specially if at the front. Those tire have almost all time excellent review, so it must be an exception. I have submit a claim to Schwalbe. I ran 120 m yesterday with my Michelin Pro4 tire inflated to 110 psi with absolutely no problem wit the rim.

Still, I would like to know how many kilometre you can do on those rim. I have used on set of Swissstop yellow pad up to know. Please share your experience.
    Last edited by SL06; 07-04-2016 at 07:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    So I was shopping for a disc wheelset to put on my gravel bike (for use on the road only) and ran across the Chinese Ebay 38mm wheels. I noticed that the build of the disc wheels seems to be the same as the non disc version and my concern is that they may not be strong enough to take the forces of disc braking. Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Planning a wheel build for the winter. Looking to get a set of circa 40mm deep rims with alloy brake surface BUT tubular,
    Before I send off emails to all the usual suppliers does anyone know of anyone that has them.
    Carbon alloy clinchers doesnt seem to be a problem -----but tubular?!?!

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Hey guys... just posted my Yoeleo wheel set review. I own or have owned a total of 4 sets of Yoeleo wheels and have had great results with all of them. Check out my review, tons of great information and pics.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Just built some Light Bicycle 45's u-shape 25mm wide.
    They built up quite easy. The quality is impressive so far. I have been riding them for maybe 800 miles so they are still new. They ride great.
    Only challenge /opportunity that I encountered is that Continental Gatorskin tires fit quite snug. Had to use velo plugs to make installing a tire reasonable. I can install w bare hands just barely. Would not give this tire/rim combo to my wife though.
    Tried other tires that were in the shop, bontranger and Shwalbe Duranos. They both mounted quite easily.
    The Continental / LightBicycle rim combo is unfortunate as I have quite a large stock of the tires to burn through.
    The tight fit caught me by surprise as the Continentals fit easily on all my other rims over the years.
    Even with the tire premounted with only one bead installed fully centered in the center well you cannot even spin the tire on the rim.
    The other tires have play at that point.
    Otherwise the wheels look nice, ride quite well in cross winds and seem quite strong. I am 200 lbs and am hard on stuff so I will give them a good test.

UPDATE 1/2/17
    After putting many miles on these and also building another 35mm deep set for my wife I will share the following.
    Once the Conti Gatorskins are on the rim for a while they are OK to mount with bare hands. They seem to stretch out a bit. Just be careful to keep the bead down in the center well. and the tube well up in the tire while installing. I have changed flats out on the road with no issues remounting tire with bare hands. Wheels are holding up perfect so far and I have hit some big pot holes too. Still very happy with the rims.
    Last edited by stevoo; 01-02-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: long term information added

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015

Speedteam 38mm Wheels

I ordered some Superteam 38mm carbon wheels on Tuesday night and they arrived today. I have to say that I'm impressed by how good these wheels look, feel, and roll. The finish is very nice and smooth. They are lighter than my Ultegra 6800 wheels. The decals are painted on the wheel so they will not peel off or be removed. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on carbon wheels and found these for a very good price. Going for a ride tomorrow to test them out. The wheels came well packaged and no damage was done to the wheels. The were true out of the box and roll great. They came with skewered, stem valve extenders, brake pads, and extra spoke nipples. They are wrapped in Michelin Pro 3 Race 700x25c.

Shipping Box

How they were packaged

Tires and tubes

Accessories (skewers, valve extenders, extra nipples, brake pads, instruction manual)

Front Wheel

Rear Wheel

Front and rear

Finish

Front Hub

Wheels/tires mounted

Mounted Front (close up)

Mounted Rear (close up)
    Last edited by laurido92; 08-21-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    2016 Fuji SL 2.3
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR
    2014 Marin Bocat Trail 29er

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Looking for tubeless 50mm X25 wheel set. Does anyone know if the Yoeleo SAT's are tubeless compatible? I've sent them two messages on their website with no response which is not reassuring.

Carbon Speed Cycles has SAT wheels similar to Yoeleo's. They say theirs are tubeless ready. Has anyone bought from Carbon Speed Cycles?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Did you run them tubeless?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCowboy View Post
    Did you run them tubeless?
    Not sure if you are asking me the question but the answer is no. I went with the clincher option. They also have a tubeless and tubular option.
    2016 Fuji SL 2.3
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR
    2014 Marin Bocat Trail 29er

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    Thought I would chime in on the Chinese carbon wheels. I have had two sets. A set of Boyd Cycling 50mm clinchers that I bought in late 2011 and now a set of Farsports 50mm 25mm wide U shaped tubeless wheels. For reference I weigh in at between 170 and 175 pounds on average.

Boyd as I remember purchased rims and hubs from Taiwan and built up the wheels in his shop in North Carolina. They were V shaped and the narrower (19 -21mm?) because he had not started building wider wheels yet. They were absolutely bullet proof. I took them to my LBS once to have them trued and the shop had to do next to nothing. I also took them on a trip in 2012 to the spring classics and rode both the Tour of Flanders Sportive (140 KM of the course) and road a portion of the Paris - Roubaix course (80 KM) including the Arenberg forest. Lots of cobblestones. No issues and no truing needed. The only reason I have purchased the Farsports is because I ran over the front Boyd with my truck, I am a dufus.... Frankly the wheel survived, a bit tweaked but potentially repairable. I decided to take the safe route and purchase a new set of wheels.

I have had the Farsports now for about a month and they have been great so far. No truing issues (some roads here in Sonoma county are pretty damn bad), good braking, very stiff, no issues with crosswinds (up to about 15 MPH or so) and the FSE hubs roll well. I like the feel of the wider 25mm wheel with the 25mm tires. I am running tubes now as the tires I had were nearly new. Will try tubeless down the road. So far the wheel is working well and the build quality seems very good.

So I think that if you spend your money on the more expensive Chinese wheels or Chinese rims built up by a quality builder here in the states you should be able to get a good set of wheels for a decent price. Just my 2 cents but happy with them over the last 5 years. Also Farsports now has a US based operation. Dan was helpful and responsive on questions I had.
    Last edited by magic32; 08-29-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: additional info

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks. Let me know how the Farsports run when you get them tubeless. I just ordered the same wheel with the DT Swiss 240 hubs. I'll set them up tubeless from the start.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I finally pulled trigger on a set of Yoeleo C50 wheels. Here is my Domane with the Yoeleo wheels, only about 200 miles on them so far but very happy with them so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 3.0-aug_pen1236-edit.jpg  
    RJ Near

Trek Domane 5.2 (2014)
    Giant Defy Comp-2 (2013)
    Specialized Rock Hopper

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Did you do anything to break in the brakes? You need to break in mtb disk brakes, but do you need to do that on the Farsport wheels?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast