Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Is anybody running Dengfu carbon clinchers? I am in the market for some 60mm deep/25 mm wide hoops and their build with DT350 hubs and Sapim cx ray spokes looks very competitive. Most of the other companies in this bracket are cheaping out on the hubs and/or spokes in this price range. Basalt breaking surface looks to be in line with what most folks are doing right now and wheel shaping is very similar to any "name brand". This is not a thread to debate the risks/rewards of buying Chinese open mold product- I am a very happy owner of a Dengfu FM098 with plenty of hard miles on it to know that I trust this company. Just looking for any real-world experience specifically with Dengfu's carbon clinchers.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Hey guys... just posted my Yoeleo wheel set review. I own or have owned a total of 4 sets of Yoeleo wheels and have had great results with all of them. Check out my review, tons of great information and pics.

Some additional information on Yoeleo wheels since my review:

1. In my review, I reference some brake pulse issues. I realized about 2 months ago that at some point, while changing brake pads, I had failed to set them up with a toe-in position. I corrected both bikes and the brake pulsing issues have gone away. I can't believe that I didn't think about it or notice it earlier.

2. Yoeleo has received UCI approval on their C38, C50, C60, C88, T38, T50, T60, and T88 wheels. This is a huge step for them and in my opinion it really shoes their willingness to improve their position among the other Chinese wheel manufacturers and amongst the more common name brands.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the review. I just got a set of T38 SATs that I'm mounting Veloflex Arenberg tubs on. Trueness was pretty much spot on but I don't have an easy way to check dish. I did get a surprise as I have a 10-speed drivetrain and was assuming I would get a 1.85 spacer with the DT Swiss 350 hub but that didn't happen so will have to pick one up.

scott s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I just got a set of T38 SATs that I'm mounting Veloflex Arenberg tubs on. Trueness was pretty much spot on but I don't have an easy way to check dish. I did get a surprise as I have a 10-speed drivetrain and was assuming I would get a 1.85 spacer with the DT Swiss 350 hub but that didn't happen so will have to pick one up.

scott s.
    Hmm, I just ordered a set of SAT 50 disc brake Tubeless clinchers and I specifically asked if they would come w/the spacer and they assured me they would come w/the spacer and valve extenders. Hope they show for me. I have about a month wait to find out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Finally received my Yoeleo wheels today. Two months from order to delivery in Calif. At the three week mark I figured out that the Novatec hubs I ordered were going to be 6 bolt disc. The wheels had not been built so they let me upgrade to centerlock disc hubs for $30. Unfortunately they arrived with the 6 bolt hubs. I'm not going to try to return them and am just going to try to get my $30 refunded. Would I order from them again? Probably not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Ordered some SAT60s from Yeoleo before new year. On the 23rd of Jan, I was advised that they would be closed for 10 days from the 24th for Chinese new year, but they would get my wheels together ans sent as soon as they reopened.

Contacted them today, 21 days later, and was advised I'd have to wait another 3 - 5 day for my choice of gloss finish rim.

Hopefully the wheels are good quality, and make up for this delay. Would have been nice if they'd only taken my money once they started my order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xcbarny View Post
    Hopefully the wheels are good quality, and make up for this delay. Would have been nice if they'd only taken my money once they started my order.
    I'm with you on the upfront $$$ part. Tempted to order a set but paying $350+++ then waiting +/- four weeks is making me think twice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Attachment 317981

Just delivered...
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775 View Post
    Attachment 317981

Just delivered...
    Unpacked. Look nice.

Don't take anything I say seriously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

Old Carbon wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Time for a new thread. 2.0 will stay stickied below this for reference purposes.
    Hello, I've never posted on a forum before so let me know if I'm doing it wrong. I recently purchased a carbon disc wheel that is older than me. my buddy suggested applying Vaseline to the surface to add moisture back to the carbon. Has anyone heard of this and are there any other tips for maintaining old carbon wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Hello, I bought some 50mm carbon clinchers from carbonspedcycle

The brake track surface is hard, the bottom where the spokes enter is also hard
    But I've noticed in the middle (rim wall, aero section) seems a bit soft, if i squeeze hard enough it will flex a little bit.

Is this norma guys or should I talk to the seller?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Normal. Lots of carbon thickness where needed like brake trsck and spoke bed.
    Much less carbon where not needed so much in other areas.
    That is why carbon is neat.
    You can add more plies only where needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoo View Post
    Normal. Lots of carbon thickness where needed like brake trsck and spoke bed.
    Much less carbon where not needed so much in other areas.
    That is why carbon is neat.
    You can add more plies only where needed.
    Thank thats reassuring! I hoping it doens't break lol

Here they carbonspeedcycle 50mm carbon clinchers mounted on veloflex master 23
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 3.0-20170227_233136.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    About to pull the trigger on the yoeleo 38 https://www.yoeleobike.com/bike-wheels-sat-c38-std.html and Leo suggested 24/28 cause I'm 200lbs. I'm recreational and ride Easton EA70 and avg less than 15mph. Also, in Richmond,Va there's usually some wind up to 14mph in fall, spring and winter. I'm torn between getting the c38 or Williams aluminum Williams System 31 Alloy Clincher Wheelset

I'm thinking due to my low speed and mostly flat riding that either of those two wheels would be the same in terms of what I would notice in speed, hills and comfort. Any thoughts???

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    About to pull the trigger on the yoeleo 38 https://www.yoeleobike.com/bike-wheels-sat-c38-std.html and Leo suggested 24/28 cause I'm 200lbs. I'm recreational and ride Easton EA70 and avg less than 15mph. Also, in Richmond,Va there's usually some wind up to 14mph in fall, spring and winter. I'm torn between getting the c38 or Williams aluminum Williams System 31 Alloy Clincher Wheelset

I'm thinking due to my low speed and mostly flat riding that either of those two wheels would be the same in terms of what I would notice in speed, hills and comfort. Any thoughts???
    Get the alloy wheels, much better choice for you.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the fast response!! Will take your advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not sure carbon clinchers make sense. I have a set of Yoeleo T38s and wind hasn't been a factor. I wouldn't mind getting a set of alloy tubs, but those seem really hard to find.

scott s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post

The Williams wheels you linked to with the 20/24 spoke count, only have a 190 pound rider weight limit but the 24/28 spoke count version have a weight limit of 215lbs.
    The Yoeleobike wheels have a rider weight limit of 231lbs & that's with the 20/24 spoke count. I'd be looking at the Yoeleobike wheels if I was you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I purchased a set of wheels from Xbike a year ago and have been happy with the purchase.
    38mm x 25mm clincher *non* foam filled
    Pillar 20/24 (with 18:6 rear)
    RAF10 RAR9 from Bitex
    I got them from Xbikes.cn because they had all the parts, could answer all my questions, and were professional and prompt without a language barrier. I couldn't say the same for some of the others.

I did not go with the Rohacell core because of the substantially higher price, but I'm a fan of that construction method, common in aviation composites. Assuming the workmanship and layup quality of the foam-core rims are anything like mine, I would have high confidence.

One other technical consideration - I'm not sure if it's to your advantage or disadvantage - is heat dissipation, a big deal for carbon rims on the mountains. The sidewalls are likely to be thinner on those rims (bad) but the foam core may dissipate heat better (good). I thought about emailing the foam manufacturer to ask.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I am looking at two sets of wheels right now.

Superteam 50mm carbon clinchers: $350, 1565g, CN spokes, regular skewers

Ican 38mm carbon clinchers: $495, 1350g, Cx-ray spokes, Ti skewers

I live in the mountains, but also face a headwind at least one way most of the time.

Opinions?

dfdf
    Feb 2009
    I just got a set of Superteam 38mm carbons(took awhile to get)anyways I'm very impressed ,just mounted them but not ridden due to rain,as soon as took them out of the foam bag they just look very well made ,come with pads & skewers,bladed spokes( I got a set of there titanium skewers)cant wait for the weather to break

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I recently bought a pair of Chinese carbon / alloy hybrid wheels through eBay. It was total $410 including shipping. Finish quality looks decent but both wheels are not well trued. They are off by 2 - 3mm laterally and vertically. I've bought other new wheels of similar price range locally and they were better than that.

Is this common for Chinese wheels in that price range?

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I recently bought a pair of Chinese carbon / alloy hybrid wheels through eBay. It was total $410 including shipping. Finish quality looks decent but both wheels are not well trued. They are off by 2 - 3mm laterally and vertically. I've bought other new wheels of similar price range locally and they were better than that.

Is this common for Chinese wheels in that price range?
    I can't tell you whether being 2-3mm off true both laterally and radially is common with Chinese wheels on any price range but I can tell you that the building of your wheels is not completed. Accepted tolerances for a decent quality built are 0.2mm laterally and 0.5mm radially. Your wheels are ridiculously over these limits.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    great video.. nice to see a follow up 1 year after the fact.. too many videos on utube that are based on when the buyer just unboxes them

RoadBikeReview Member
    so i'm looking for Chinese carbon road disc wheels for my Scott Solace 10 Disc.

12x100, 12x142 hubs with centrelock rotors.

Looking for something for mostly road use, i am running 700x28 Conti Grand Prix tires.

Looking for something around 3-38 mm deep.

I weigh about 210.

I emailed Peter from Carbonspeed (I previously bought 29+ wheels form him which have been great) and he recommended 35 Mm deep, 25 mm wide rims, 24 hole F/R, DT Swiss 350 hubs.

Anyone running something similar that would have some input?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast