Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    flinty-eyed moderator

Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 3.0

Time for a new thread. 2.0 will stay stickied below this for reference purposes.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Im about finally getting ready to buy farsports 50x25wide carbon clincher wheelset with bitex hubs. I want to do 24h front 2x and 28rear 3x. I weigh 170. Im thinking this will give me a sturdier wheels with not too much weight penalty. What do you guys think? Or should i stay with the 20 front and 24 rear?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    i just got the same wheel set a few weeks ago. i have about about 300 miles on them. im heavier than you at 190 and my rims are 20 radial front and 24 2x rear. so far i havent had any problems. wheels seem stiff enough. only time will tell how durable
    they will be

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    What kind of pricing are you guys getting?
    2014 EVO Di2, 7970 Di2
    2017 Shimano PD-9100 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Centric Carbon Clinchers, 38mm and 60mm
    Second set of whees: Shimano 7900 C35 tubulars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    $550 including shipping. and 4.5% paypal fee. pilar spokes and novatec 291/482 hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Can you provide me with the vendor's name or website?
    How long did it take you to get them?
    2014 EVO Di2, 7970 Di2
    2017 Shimano PD-9100 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Centric Carbon Clinchers, 38mm and 60mm
    Second set of whees: Shimano 7900 C35 tubulars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I purchased 10 sets of carbon wheels in 2011 in a business venture that never went ahead. Ive sold a few sets and all are still alive and running well.. 1 set died in a crash.

I run a set of 60mm clinchers on my personal bike, never had a problem with them and i do around 250k per week on some of the worst roads around, i race with them on weekends and i would not hesitate to buy another set.

If you purchase form one of the decent suppliers that just build carbon wheels and frames i think there is good quality control in place, i wouldn't buy off ebay.

I have dealt with yishun many times and only have good things to say about them.
    They have not changed there name as some people have said before.

Thats my 2c any ways. To bad the AUS dollar has been shot to **** or i would have a set of there new 2015 wheels in my hands..

The company i have used is below.
    Pro manufacturer of carbon rims, carbon wheels, carbon frames and carbon components for road cycling, track, triathlon, mtb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Any thoughts on the new tubeless clinchers at far sports? Seem to have a nice u profile compared to their other u shaped non clincher rim. Would they really be stronger as they claim?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    a heads up on the tubeless from farsport. the wheels i ordered were the ones with no spoke holes on the inside of the rim. the wheels they set me were tubeless compatible with spoke holes and the special rim tap to make them tubeless. thats not what i ordered and i wanted them to send me what i ordered. farsport wanted me to pay return shipping back to china $80 bucks even though they sent the wrong wheels. they said i didnt say which rim i wanted but even the invoice they sent me stated the rim didnt have spoke holes. none of that mattered even though it was their mistake. they are never going to make things right if it costs them money. if their wheels fail and you have warranty them they will make you pay shipping back to china. make sure they know what rim you want and cross your fingers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So far i have been reading consistently on this thread ! And have come to a decision of buying either a 38mm set of yoeleo wheels or farsport wheels ? My question is which is better ?? In terms of reliability and durability ? Also i will be doing lots of crit races .... for the far sports i was planning on getting the ones with dt 350s straight pull... any thoughts ??? Also i have heard on other forums that if the manufacturer offer basalt surface i should stay away from it ?????? What ??? Someone please help !!!
    Another option are the williams system 31 alum wheels .... but thats if non of the are purchasable. ....
    Thanks a lot for the help !!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    that sucks on the "Tubeless" they sent you. I got quoted for $650 shipped including 4.5% paypal fee for the 50x25mm true tubeless 3k Matte, bitex hubs, 24h, 28h, swiss stop black brake inserts, no skewers. this was from far sports. I asked for washers on all spokes so I will make sure the invoice has every detail, including the spoke washers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Hey Guys, i need your help! Does anybody know, if its possible to configure a 60mm clincher Wheelset under 1.600 Gramm?

many thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Hi, I think to make wheels with 16:8 system. I ask few ebay's seller selling rims. One said that his rims are drill with 6 degree angle, and other that his rims are ready for 16:8 (but I had to explain him what it is). Are your rims drill straight or with angle for spokes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph1980 View Post
    Hey Guys, i need your help! Does anybody know, if its possible to configure a 60mm clincher Wheelset under 1.600 Gramm?

many thanks in advance!
    Yoeleo and Far Sports claim theirs are just under 1600:
    Carbon Bicycle Wheel - Buy Light Clincher Carbon Bike Wheels Yoeleo
    Far Sports 60mm carbon wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Anyone have experience with BaiXiang wheels? They sell on Amazon which is a good sign, and all the reviews I've read have been 5 stars other than one. I ordered their 50mm ultra-lite 25mm wide wheels for $455 shipped. They come with the SL novatecs, and they provide maximum spoke tension numbers unlike some of the other sellers. They have a 1 year warranty. Sounds like another top tier china option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Bailing looks good, Amazon has a great return policy if not

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Bailing looks good, Amazon has a great return policy if not
    Well, I actually didn't order through Amazon because I got it cheaper through them direct. I'll post my review once I get them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesquire View Post
    Well, I actually didn't order through Amazon because I got it cheaper through them direct. I'll post my review once I get them.
    Pls do, I'll probably pull the trigger on a set soon...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Something that isn't mentioned much in these threads, and can probably save you some issues is to be aware that there is a break-in period for these carbon wheels. Make sure you get the spoke tension readjusted after the first hundred miles or so. The wheels will almost definitely need to be trued after breaking-in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Well, I got the wheels in. Very fast shipping. I'll post some pics later, but the packaging was not impressive. However, there's no physical damage that I can find while inspecting. They are perfectly true, spoke tension seems even. The quality seems nice, the only problem I can tell is that on the inside of the rim, a couple of the spoke holes have slight bulges. I don't know if this should worry me or not. I'll get my calipers out and measure for uniformity later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Sounds like a nice wheel!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    So I'm a heavier rider (200+) and the brake pads didn't fit my brakes so I only used the front wheel today. I kept my mavic ksyrium sl rear wheel on. There's also some imperfections with the rear rim that I'm settling with baixiang about. The communication has been good. I'd be very happy with a replacement rim that matches the quality of the front. Anyways, I took the front wheel out for 10 miles today. I also did a 2 mile TT that I do weekly. Today I beat my PR by 1 mph average. I didn't have wind help, so I'm going to say a good part of that was due to the wheel. Performance aside, they are worth the money just for the comfort. The 25mm rim with 25mm tires felt like I was on a cloud. I bought the wheels for $450. So far I'm happy, even with one rim questionable. I'd recommend them as a budget carbon wheel. Just don't go into it expecting perfect craftsmanship. I'm still a little hesitant to do much braking with the carbon clinchers, so my rear wheel might not see much use anyways.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

60mm clincher wheelset

Hello there, I'm trying to find a low budget 60mm carbon wheelset. I browsed this thread but couldn't find specific webstores.
    What do you recommend? Brand / website?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jmouta View Post
    Hello there, I'm trying to find a low budget 60mm carbon wheelset. I browsed this thread but couldn't find specific webstores.
    What do you recommend? Brand / website?

Thanks!
    Go with baixiang through Amazon. Great return policy. If not, I'd do yoeleo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Hi Guys, thought I would come back and share my experience with my Chinese carbon clinchers 1 year on....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast