Slow and Steady
    Jan 2006

Edge 38FC Carbon Clinchers

Does anyone have any experience with these Edge 38mm carbon clincher wheels? These are not to be mistaken for Edge/Enve Composites. They weight a little over 1500grams for the set.

The reason I ask is because I have a chance to get a brand new pair for really cheap. I'm guessing these are New Old Stock because the latest incarnations from EdgeDesign USA have different decals. Although the tubular version looks exactly the same as the ones I have a chance to get.

Link: http://edgedesignusa.com/components

I just want to get a little more info on these before I decide to get them or not. So if anyone has ever heard of them or has experience with them I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Gee3; 06-26-2011 at 09:22 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The thing with these cheap carbon knock-offs is the question of their longterm durability in the brake track. I think you'd have no issue with the tubular versions, as even the cheaper carbon tubular rims work pretty well.

But carbon CLINCHERS are a whole other beast. The likeliest area for those rims to fail is in the braking track, rim area. When you brake, the heat builds up quickly, and the clincher rims can begin warping under the pressure of the tire bead. Eventually, they'll simply warp enough for the tire to blow off the rim.

Some of the new rims that Reynolds, Zipp, and Enve put out supposedly combat this to some extent. But, certainly, many of the cheaper rims do not address this heat build up well.

You will often see the cheapest carbon rims from China have tried to avoid this problem by actually moving the braking track below the clincher rim bead. But this is a weird solution as many brake calipers can not reach that far down the rim.

Slow and Steady
    Jan 2006

Thumbs down

When I contacted Edge they said to use their proprietory brake pads. "Our pads are designed to produce max of 102 C temp. Which is well below the resin melt point."

So the pad make may have something to do with the issues on the brake surface of the rim. Although I'm not sure how well their pads are in regards to braking performance. Then again, I don't race so I may never get them hot enough to find out.

a$$hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee3 View Post
    Although I'm not sure how well their pads are in regards to braking performance. Then again, I don't race so I may never get them hot enough to find out.
    Believe it or not, as close as I've ever felt to an aluminum breaking track without actually being aluminum. The ENVE breaking is superb. I could not be happier, personally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSpecialized View Post
    Believe it or not, as close as I've ever felt to an aluminum breaking track without actually being aluminum. The ENVE breaking is superb. I could not be happier, personally.
    The ones the OP is referring to are not the ENVE/Edge brand, but a chinese carbon wheel. The full wheelset costs less than one ENVE rim.

a$$hole
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    The ones the OP is referring to are not the ENVE/Edge brand, but a chinese carbon wheel. The full wheelset costs less than one ENVE rim.
    And if you look at my post you will see I was not responding to the original poster. I was responding to a comment about the breaking quality of ENVE rims.