RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Edge 45 clincher vs. Bontrager Race XXX Lite 2010

Can someone help me choose between these two wheels? I live in western NC in the Smoky Mtns. and do a fair amount of climbing because of the terrain. I ride 2-3 century races a year and of course the training weekly for these rides. I also ride for fitness. I presently riding on Race X Lite that I purchased in 2006. I have narrowed my choices down to the Edge 45 Clincher and the Race XXX Lite Clincher. It is a little hard to compare these wheels since one is a deep dish and the other is not but I am trying. I would ride these wheels excusively. The Bontragers offer a 5 yr. warranty and the Edge a 2 year warranty. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

Online Wheel Builder
    I am biased but I will do a breakdown for you. Note I have never seen the 2010 Bonty wheels so any conclusions I come to are based off what I I can see in the design and what I have seen in years before.

The Bontys are a shallow hoops built into an 18/24 spoke count with a NDS radial lacing. If their stiffness is like their previous models there is a good chance that you will find them flexy.

The hubs are a brand spanking new design but they are made by DT so if the quality of the hubs is comparable to previous models they should last until the end of time.

They are a bit porky at 1320 grams.

Here is what I would consider a comparable set of Edge 45s.
    Built in 20/24 they would not only be more aero than the Race xxx lites but I can guarantee that they will be much stiffer and stronger.

The hubs are really up to you but I would suggest you do the build with a pair of Alchemys or if you would like the build immediately an ELF front and a 190 rear.

Here are the specs for a 45 build

Edge 45 c 20/24
    Sapim Cxray spokes
    ELF/190 hubs
    weight 1283 grams

So when you boil it down the Edges will be lighter, (assuming they are similar to last year's model) they will be stiffer and stronger, and the will be more aero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    My Edge 45's Austin built ROCK. Stiff, light and aero. I ride em everyday and weigh 200.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Thank you for your insight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Cost?

Zen......how much would a wheelset like this run cost-wise? I may consider something along those lines.

Built in 20/24 they would not only be more aero than the Race xxx lites but I can guarantee that they will be much stiffer and stronger.

The hubs are really up to you but I would suggest you do the build with a pair of Alchemys or if you would like the build immediately an ELF front and a 190 rear.

Edge 45 c 20/24
    Sapim Cxray spokes
    ELF/190 hubs
    weight 1283 grams

So when you boil it down the Edges will be lighter, (assuming they are similar to last year's model) they will be stiffer and stronger, and the will be more aero.[/QUOTE]

Online Wheel Builder
    That set would be 2903.00$ in the mail
    A set with the ORC would be 2534.00$

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Well I ordered the EDGE 45 clincher with the DT240s hubs today with a custom decal from EDGE in blue/silver/white. I can't wait to see them and then of course to ride them. Thanks for everyone's input and expertise.

Online Wheel Builder
    Post pictures one you get them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
    I am biased but I will do a breakdown for you. Note I have never seen the 2010 Bonty wheels so any conclusions I come to are based off what I I can see in the design and what I have seen in years before.

The Bontys are a shallow hoops built into an 18/24 spoke count with a NDS radial lacing. If their stiffness is like their previous models there is a good chance that you will find them flexy.

The hubs are a brand spanking new design but they are made by DT so if the quality of the hubs is comparable to previous models they should last until the end of time.

They are a bit porky at 1320 grams.

Edge 45 c 20/24
    Sapim Cxray spokes
    ELF/190 hubs
    weight 1283 grams

So when you boil it down the Edges will be lighter, (assuming they are similar to last year's model) they will be stiffer and stronger, and the will be more aero.
    My current wheel line up is:

LightWeight Standard Generation 2
    Reynolds Stratus Carbon Clincher
    Edge 45 Clinchers
    Bontrager Race XXX Lite (2008 version)
    Fulcrum Racing Zero
    Mavic Ksyrium ES
    Mavic Ksyrium SL2
    Mavic Ksyium Elite
    Mavic Open Pro/DA

and a few other spare sets that don't see the light of day.

If I had to choose based on my impression of stiffness I would put the Race XXX lites second from top to the Lightweights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Here are mine!! Ride them every day... I weigh 205.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Sweet. I'll post mine when they come in the mail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bhbdvm
    Well I ordered the EDGE 45 clincher with the DT240s hubs today with a custom decal from EDGE in blue/silver/white. I can't wait to see them and then of course to ride them. Thanks for everyone's input and expertise.
    how much extra did the custom decals cost? I didn't know they had that option. PICS!

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33
    how much extra did the custom decals cost? I didn't know they had that option. PICS!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zencycl...7622418675230/
    200.00$/ set of wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    From EDGE the custom (different color) decal is an upcharge of $100. They don't advertise it but will do it. You can use any of the PANTONE colors and can mix it up with which part of the EDGE logo you want which color. They will tell you that they can not match colors because they don't want you to be disappointed if the colors don't match somethin you wanted them to (example exact match between decal color and tire color). They don't offer anything fancy just color changes. They will either apply it to the rim for you or send the decals to you or in my case sent it to Wheelbuilder.com and they are going to apply the decal at no extra charge for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    $100 for a few stickers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I guess that is almost as bad as spending $2,300 on wheels that will only marginally improve my riding! If i'm spending $2,300 on a new wheel set I dont' mind spending an extra $100 to get the color I want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Wheels

The Bontrager XXX's are great wheels. I'm baffled that someone would refer to them as "Porky". Mine are 1360. I'm 190 lb sprinter. I've beat the hell out of them, from Centuries to hard core racing. They work great. Comparing them with the Edge 45's is apple and oranges. Can pick up a set of XXX's for less than $1K on Ebay, while the Edge 45's are well over $2K. It's a no brainer cash decision. Have cash, buy more expensive stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas 1098
    My Edge 45's Austin built ROCK. Stiff, light and aero. I ride em everyday and weigh 200.
    what's the spoke count for your built? We weigh almost the same and Zen recommends a 20/28. I'm inclined to get a 20/24. Are they your everyday wheels? Any problems during climbs? Crosswind?