Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Enve 6.7 with powertap

Just about to pull the trigger on the above mentioned wheelset. The only concern is the set comes with the powertap front hub. Have done a few searches but can't find that much info about this hub. Does anyone have any experience with this hub and what are your thoughts Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: Enve 6.7 with powertap

Quote Originally Posted by ramjett View Post
    Just about to pull the trigger on the above mentioned wheelset. The only concern is the set comes with the powertap front hub. Have done a few searches but can't find that much info about this hub. Does anyone have any experience with this hub and what are your thoughts Thanks
    I have it on a set of wheels I just bought and it's great. I was told it has DTSwiss internals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I thought the Enve 6.7 rims were not available right now as in "sold out". Hopefully it's a pre-built set on the shelf somewhere that you are considering.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    I thought the Enve 6.7 rims were not available right now as in "sold out". Hopefully it's a pre-built set on the shelf somewhere that you are considering.
    That's correct

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Not sure what setup you are considering but I just saw they dropped the retail price of the G3 hub to $790.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a lot of money to tie up in a set of wheels. I am not trying to talk you out of them, and maybe you are getting a deal since they are prebuilt. But a crank based PM like Quarq (or similar) will give you more options with wheels down the road, not to mention a potentially better riding wheel since it doesn't have the PT rear hub. My PT rear wheel performed flawlessly but never did feel as nimble and lively as my DA C24 wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS Alpine View Post
    Not sure what setup you are considering but I just saw they dropped the retail price of the G3 hub to $790.
    Wow where did u see this at???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    I have a set of 6.7 tubulars with the SL+ rear hub (and a tune front). You will love them. The powertap front hub will be just fine. When was the last time you had problems with a front hub?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman View Post
    I have a set of 6.7 tubulars with the SL+ rear hub (and a tune front). You will love them. The powertap front hub will be just fine. When was the last time you had problems with a front hub?
    Thanks looking forward to riding them. And your right I've never had a problem with a front hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    That's a lot of money to tie up in a set of wheels. I am not trying to talk you out of them, and maybe you are getting a deal since they are prebuilt. But a crank based PM like Quarq (or similar) will give you more options with wheels down the road, not to mention a potentially better riding wheel since it doesn't have the PT rear hub. My PT rear wheel performed flawlessly but never did feel as nimble and lively as my DA C24 wheel.
    Did look at going to crank base power. But the cost of the wheels and crank combined was a lot more then this option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    Wow where did u see this at???
    Boyd mentioned this yesterday. I'm sure if you have your dealer call in they will get the news. I assume they are close to announcing new hubs and clearing inventory again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS Alpine View Post
    I'm amazed that they did this, how do you explain a $500 drop in price to your distributors and customers that just bought from you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure how you expect them to do it? Look on the bright side... the next one will be a lot cheaper.

Apparently they are aggressively pursuing the lower end PM market. Retaining only their best and lightest hub and pricing it below the Pro+. It's great news IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    I'm not sure how you expect them to do it? Look on the bright side... the next one will be a lot cheaper.

Apparently they are aggressively pursuing the lower end PM market. Retaining only their best and lightest hub and pricing it below the Pro+. It's great news IMO.
    As a consumer if you ordered one last week and haven't received it yet what would you do?
    As a store front if you had ordered a batch 2 weeks ago and had 10 units sitting on the shelf what would you do?
    As a consumer it is great if you are in the market and have not recently purchased a unit.
    Dropping a price from 1300 to 790 is massive, it's never a great idea to do massive changes, it leads to the consumer wondering what is going on, have they been screwing me for the past years or are the selling crap at this point. It doesn't lead to consumer confidence, and unless consumers have some amount of confidence they tend not to consume.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjett View Post
    Did look at going to crank base power. But the cost of the wheels and crank combined was a lot more then this option.
    I would not pull the trigger until the pricing has been adjusted for the new hub prices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    You are mixing metaphors. This sucks for the retailer with unsold units that are now worth a lot less... although they may have some compensation coming. It sucks less for the consumer who just bought one, because they probably aren't going to sell it anyway, and they must have determined that the price they originally paid was worth it compared to alternatives. Ever have something go on sale right after you bought it?

For everyone else it is great.

"Lack of confidence"? Not sure what you could possibly mean. It's the same hub. Are you aware that the marginal cost of producing an additional PT hub is quite small once you have everything in place? It's probably <$100. So Saris can lower the price and potentially make greater profit via higher volume.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I didn't offer metaphors or mixed metaphors, rather actual cases.
    In fact one of the cases is real, I put in order in for a hub and it is due to arrive next Monday. In my case I didn't pay the full price but I still paid substantially more than the new price. At this point I could in theory refuse shipment and reorder at the new price, I'll work this out with my source (who is most likely doing a WTF as well). This is the reason many stores offer a 30 day price guarantee. No one likes to feel as if they've been pulled over the table.
    At one point I was in manufacturing, 40% price drops on an established product is nothing small, it could put you out of business if you have enough stock tied up in it.
    Yes it is common to see a large drop in price on a closeout, but not on the continued line of a product.
    As mentioned anyone looking at a PM at this point can do real well, this may have the other vendors rethink their pricing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    So far we don't know if Saris is offering any compensation for people who are in a bind with this. I don't have any reason to ask them, but maybe you do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    I would not pull the trigger until the pricing has been adjusted for the new hub prices.
    To late for that. With the lack of supply out there right now did not want to miss out on these. The plus though is that the price of the 6.7's only dropped $200.00. Every dollar counts, but 200 is a lot easier swallow than $700

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh I just bought a 2 month old used PT for about the same price.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I would imagine that many wheel builders don't carry a large stock of $1000+ powertap hubs. Many are ordered once the customer has placed the order. There may be a credit applied to future purchases for dealers who carry stock but I don't know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Enve 6.7 with powertap

Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    Dropping a price from 1300 to 790 is massive, it's never a great idea to do massive changes, it leads to the consumer wondering what is going on, have they been screwing me for the past years or are the selling crap at this point. It doesn't lead to consumer confidence, and unless consumers have some amount of confidence they tend not to consume.
    I disagree strongly. I think it's a great idea and it puts their product at the top of my list for a future power meter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post

I bought one two weeks ago. Terrible news for me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    When you consider how much you car value dropped when selling or trading it in, a couple hundred dollars is peanuts. It would not bother me at all. Totally moot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast