Thread: ENVE hubs

RoadBikeReview Member

ENVE hubs

Have read online reviews, but would love to hear feedback from actual users of these hubs. I believe they are essentially DT 180 internals with tricked out ENVE graphics and carbon shell and ceramic speed bearings. I've had good success with ENVE wheels, but I a bit concerned about the DT 180 smaller bearings, which seems to roll very well, but may not be very durable...at least that's what FWB review says.

Anyways, just thought I hear from you guys and your thoughts. As always, thanks!
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Spot on. I have owned Moone for a year now. Really great when new, does need regular bearing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    Spot on. I have owned Moone for a year now. Really great when new, does need regular bearing changes.

Tnx Izza. How often are we talking about? Bearing changes that is.

EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    6-9 months

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    6-9 months
    And you describe these hubs as "great"? I would be ticked if I had to replace bearings every 6-9 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    And you describe these hubs as "great"? I would be ticked if I had to replace bearings every 6-9 years.
    I guess that wouldn't be too bad if he rode 10K miles per year.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I guess that wouldn't be too bad if he rode 10K miles per year.
    yes it would.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Waddya expect for only $1,350?

RoadBikeReview Member
    At this point, I am leaning towards the Roval clx 32 clinchers which I believe have the DT 240 internals with ceramic speed bearings. They still use the 18 T ratchet yeah? Not the 36T?

EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    yes it would.

After 6-9 years, that would be 60-90K miles. I don't think any part of a wheel owes you anything at that mileage.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    After 6-9 years, that would be 60-90K miles. I don't think any part of a wheel owes you anything at that mileage.
    There's been a bit of a miscommunication.

Kerry did say years, so now I get why you said that and shouldn't have responded to you that way.

But Kerry meant to say months because that's what the person he was responding to said (and I know he meant months because these hubs haven't been out for 6-9 years). And replacing bearings 6-9 months sucks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's been a bit of a miscommunication.

Kerry did say years, so now I get why you said that and shouldn't have responded to you that way.

But Kerry meant to say months because that's what the person he was responding to said (and I know he meant months because these hubs haven't been out for 6-9 years). And replacing bearings 6-9 months sucks.
    Understood.

I still am perplexed that experienced riders mark maintenance intervals mostly by time, not by mileage. Do you think 10K miles is a fair life expectancy for a wheel? How about 20K miles? So to be fair, if you ride 10K miles per year and your bearings go south at 1 year, that would be less than ideal for bearings, yes. But how much longer would the rest of those wheels have lasted anyway? In a good quality set of wheels, brake track wear would be the game ender.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Understood.

I still am perplexed that experienced riders mark maintenance intervals mostly by time, not by mileage. Do you think 10K miles is a fair life expectancy for a wheel? How about 20K miles? So to be fair, if you ride 10K miles per year and your bearings go south at 1 year, that would be less than ideal for bearings, yes. But how much longer would the rest of those wheels have lasted anyway? In a good quality set of wheels, brake track wear would be the game ender.
    We're talking about hubs. If hubs needed to be thrown out or have bearing replaced due to rim wear I would understand your point. But they don't so I have no clue what your point is.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 03-09-2017 at 12:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    6-9 months/10k miles in Seattle is alot different than the same time/mileage in Arizona.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We're talking about hubs. If hubs needed to be thrown out or have bearing replaced due to rim wear I would understand your point. But they don't so I have no clue what your point is.

My point is, if the rim is trashed, are you going to re-use the hubs in another wheel build?

Cartoscro, your point is well taken. Though if seals are good quality, the Seattle hubs should still hold up just fine.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    My point is, if the rim is trashed, are you going to re-use the hubs in another wheel build?
    yes, of course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a 10 minute job every 6-9 months. It takes me much longer to clean the bike. Or do you do that only once every 9 years as well?

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes, of course.
    So I take it these wheels don't have proprietary parts?

It's a 10 minute job every 6-9 months. It takes me much longer to clean the bike. Or do you do that only once every 9 years as well?
    We are sure getting snarky here, aren't we?

Once a year may not be terribly unreasonable for cleaning and re-lubing hub bearings. For them to go south and need replacing, as I said many times before, that would depend on your mileage. For those of us who ride 3K miles per year, that is more than excessive.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Interesting logic. It takes me about the same time to shower and shave as it does to replace a bike chain. that doesn't mean I'm cool with replacing a chain before every morning. And if I was okay with it I wouldn't take that as evidence I'm using good chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    It's his money, he can do whatever he wants.... Even if it means buying shitty Edge/Mavic wheels and now "their" hubs.... Lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting logic. It takes me about the same time to shower and shave as it does to replace a bike chain. that doesn't mean I'm cool with replacing a chain before every morning. And if I was okay with it I wouldn't take that as evidence I'm using good chains.
    But if you begrudge that amount of cost over that period your logic means the B.O. drifting behind your hubs must be quite a stench.