RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

ENVE SES 3.4 textured brake track worn normal?

Hello, I searched but couldn't find any info regarding ENVE smart 3.4 wheelset brake tracks.

These are recent 2012 wheels and have about 400 miles on them. When i first got them, there's a textured brake track for these clinchers and after 300 miles its a smooth finish. is it normal? Stock enve pads. braking still great wet or dry. great wheels. just curious about the brake track wear if anyone else has experience with this.

thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have about 10k miles on a pair of 2.45 rims with no wear. The brake tracks look the same as they did on day one.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

Online Wheel Builder
    The brake track may feel smoother due to left over material from the brake pads. Have you tried to take a rag with some isopropyl alcohol to the brake track? This may help to get some of that texture back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    The brake tracks on my 7 week old old Enve 3.4 clincher rims are now worn smooth. 1175 miles. I have used Enve brake pads from day one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'm with tvad. its worn smooth even after wiping down with isopropyl alcohol.

supposedly enve is using a durable high temp resin to resist carbon "melting" during prolonged descents.

My 2011 zipp 303s had smooth brake tracks. I liked the initial bite that the textured enve's had tho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by agravic View Post
    Hello, I searched but couldn't find any info regarding ENVE smart 3.4 wheelset brake tracks.

These are recent 2012 wheels and have about 400 miles on them. When i first got them, there's a textured brake track for these clinchers and after 300 miles its a smooth finish. is it normal? Stock enve pads. braking still great wet or dry. great wheels. just curious about the brake track wear if anyone else has experience with this.

thanks!
    It's normal as far as i am aware!!

wheelbuilder
    I've worn two sets smooth. Actually, they still have a little texture to them, kind of like worn sand paper. This is not in indication that the rims are worn past their time. I still get excellent braking performance from them.