Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

An epic battle: Pacenti SL23 vs. cyclist armed with tire jack and New Mich Pro4

I put a used Michelin Pro4 23mm on the front with some difficulty. I knew the new one for the rear was going to be tough. It took me over an hour with tire jack to coax the bead over the rim. Heaven help me if I flat.

Fair warning: Those of you purchasing this rim may want to have 2 tire jacks available and another set of hands. I'll be curious to see how those who flat on the road fare changing tubes.

The wheel is definitely sturdy. I'm confident it took more abuse tonight than it will get on the road for some time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry you had a hard time with the tire installation. With tubeless ready rims, it makes a huge difference to make sure the tire is in the recessed portion of the rim.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com
    Save 15% on your first order from Hammer Nutrition with affiliate code 239794 hammernutrition.com

Big is relative
    Put the tires out in the sun to warm them up before mounting. Your troubles are not new to those of us with campy wheels.
    Retired sailor

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by valleycyclist View Post
    it makes a huge difference to make sure the tire is in the recessed portion of the rim.
    This.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VinPaysDoc View Post
    I put a used Michelin Pro4 23mm on the front with some difficulty. I knew the new one for the rear was going to be tough. It took me over an hour with tire jack to coax the bead over the rim. Heaven help me if I flat.

Fair warning: Those of you purchasing this rim may want to have 2 tire jacks available and another set of hands. I'll be curious to see how those who flat on the road fare changing tubes.

The wheel is definitely sturdy. I'm confident it took more abuse tonight than it will get on the road for some time.
    LOL, I had the same issue with the same tire in rim in a previous post.
    The tire came off much easier (result of a few pinch flats from the installation - I didn't give it an hour).
    The next set of tires will be warmed up and stretched, lesson learned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valleycyclist View Post
    With tubeless ready rims, it makes a huge difference to make sure the tire is in the recessed portion of the rim.
    Unfortunately, it was. Perhaps the veloplugs took up some of that space? Hands are sore this morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a blow dryer out to warm up the remaining section of the tire that was stubborn. I'm just not sure the heat helps the kevlar bead much....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Suggest lubing the bead liberally with soapy water (or talc)

For reference, in the case of tubeless tires the manual says "Fitting a Tubeless Tyre The rims must be lubricated (no oil or grease) all around the circumference to help the tyre slide when being fitted and, in particular, to ensure the tyre clips in and is correctly centered when pressure is increased."

This is also helpful with tubed tires.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VinPaysDoc View Post
    Unfortunately, it was. Perhaps the veloplugs took up some of that space? Hands are sore this morning.
    Probably. They definitely didn't help. Try that Stan's tape....it's pretty thin.

wheelbuilder
    I have found that with tubeless rims that have a recessed channel, veloplugs make tire mounting more difficult than something thin like the Stan's yellow tape. That's what I install on all my rims. Velocity makes a tubeless tape as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I posted this in another thread last year:

I never had any problem mounting tires until I got my new Kinlin rims. They have a very shallow well, so when the bead is pushed to the center, there's not much slack to get the last section of bead over the rim edge.

Even with no tube and just one bead mounted and down in the center, I can't slide the tire around on the rim to align the label with the valve hole. That's really tight!

I had sore fingers and mangled levers when I mounted the tire the first time (and it wasn't a new tire). I wondered how I would change a flat out on the road.

I have a good method now to easily mount the tire with just one lever. The key is to just lift an inch of bead at a time, then repeat. It's fast and easy.

Here's a Picasa photo album showing the steps to remove and remount a tire.

Do this:

The shallow well makes it difficult to mount the tire (but it keeps a flat tire on the rim!)

Levers with a flat back (to let the bead slide down to the end) and a rounded tip (to avoid pinching the tube) work the best. I use these Continental levers. Pedro levers are similar, and easy to find.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-20-2013 at 07:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've fitted 28mm Schwalbe and 25mm Vredestein tires on my SL23s, and neither required the aid of a tire lever. The fit was tighter than my H+Son Archetype rims, but not terrible.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    When I was doing the testing for the SL23 rim I mounted, inflated and removed the following tires without much effort. Pro4, Pro3, Vittoria CX Evo, Conti GP 4000, Conti GP and Fortezza Tricomp all went on with little effort as long as the bead was in the center channel, if it is not in the channel getting the tire on will be nearly impossible.

I am running Pro3's on my personal pair and got a flat 2 nights ago and changed the tube with no tire levers on the side of the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps I should replace the veloplugs then. I still shudder at the idea of changing a flat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Technique. That's all it comes down to, if you have experience with tubeless tyres then you'll know what I mean.
    A good example: How to fit a Marathon Plus Tyre.mp4 - YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: An epic battle: Pacenti SL23 vs. cyclist armed with tire jack and New Mich Pro4

I too had an epic battle with my SL23s just to get the tires on. I had been running Gator skins but when I bought them my LBS was out of the foldable variety so I grabbed the other ones. Once I switched to the SL23s I found that switching back to a foldable was actually doable. Even my LBS couldn't get the non-foldables on there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawf View Post
    Technique. That's all it comes down to, if you have experience with tubeless tyres then you'll know what I mean.
    A good example: How to fit a Marathon Plus Tyre.mp4 - YouTube
    LOL this is no comparison to how tight things were initially with a foldable Michelin Pro4 SC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Suggest lubing the bead liberally with soapy water (or talc)

For reference, in the case of tubeless tires the manual says "Fitting a Tubeless Tyre The rims must be lubricated (no oil or grease) all around the circumference to help the tyre slide when being fitted and, in particular, to ensure the tyre clips in and is correctly centered when pressure is increased."

This is also helpful with tubed tires.
    ^^ +1 ^^

You don't usually need to do this with bicycle tires, but it is essential for motorcycle tires.

Windex spray (or the cheap stuff from the dollar store) works very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    LOL this is no comparison to how tight things were initially with a foldable Michelin Pro4 SC.
    You are correct sir. Still, I learned something from it. I did not put the bead in the center well while trying to get the last bead on. I'm used to just pulling over the bead right next to the rim. The tire straps were also a nice touch, although I don't think I'll have any out on the road. This gives me hope that I might be able to change a flat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    No experience with the Pacentis, but if you put just enough air in the tube so it's firm then you can lever the $*** out of the tire to get it onto the rim without worrying about pinching the tube. I seriously don't know why anyone would mount a tight tire with their fingers (slow and painful!) I also have a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack just in case (but have never needed it.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    No experience with the Pacentis, but if you put just enough air in the tube so it's firm then you can lever the $*** out of the tire to get it onto the rim without worrying about pinching the tube. I seriously don't know why anyone would mount a tight tire with their fingers (slow and painful!) I also have a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack just in case (but have never needed it.)
    In my case I wasn't using my fingers, I have a and tried the Kool Stop jack, it didn't cut it, neither did the plastic tire levers.
    Wound up using my alloy tire irons that I've had for 30+ years. The Pro4's and SL23's are just a hard fit on until they stretch out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    I also have a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack just in case (but have never needed it.)
    Yeah, the Kool Stop was what I was using. I torqued that tire bead for over an hour before I finally got it on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

An epic battle: Pacenti SL23 vs. cyclist armed with tire jack and New Mich Pro4

Was able to mount continental 4000s using a single nylon tire iron, so maybe switch tires.
    ALC12: Matthew - 7 Day 545 mile cycling event from San Francisco to Life to Support HIV/AIDS Services

Bike: Merlin Custom ExtraLight, Enve 1.0 fork, Pacenti SL23 rims with navy blue Chris King hubs & matching spoke nipples, dual King Ti Cages, Zipp - Contour SL

For everything else: upgrades in progress, so suggestions gladly accepted :)
    Shimano Dura-Ace 7800 9 speed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Absolutely loving this combo:

No levers required to mount the tires.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    This is my favorite tool. No tires can beat me now!

Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

Check out my new blog about everything at MakingNoiseAndDrinkingBeer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast