Railing the Berm of Life

Fastest tire volume for Zipp 404 clinchers w/ aluminum brake track

Howdy. Got a steal on a set of zipp 505 rims (404 clincher with al brake track) laced to a powertap rear hub.

My 23mm conti 4000s tires are on their last leg and I am starting to think about replacing them. I want a fast rolling setup that is going to be aerodynamic. I know the new firecrests can run like 25mms and above without affecting aerodynamic performance. Thats pretty cool as a lot of the roads I ride are less than perfect. I would like more volume unless its going to slow me down...

What is recommended for a pre-firecrest tororidal 404 rim? 23s like I have? Maybe 25mms?
    I only saw recommendations for the Firecrest on Zipps website. Any links or info would be much appreciated!

BTW, this is for strictly training. I race mostly on dirt. I still like to try to make grown men cry on fast group rides though if you catch my drift.

Thanks!
    John

***edit, I weight 165lb or 75 kilo and typically ride 105/100 psi***
    Last edited by Sheepo; 10-29-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Dirt is good for the soul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Their website's live chat is very helpful and can actually ask the 'engineers' a question for you if they don't know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo View Post
    What is recommended for a pre-firecrest tororidal 404 rim? 23s like I have? Maybe 25mms?
    The fastest tire would be the 20mm Conti Supersonic. If that is too small for you, then the Attack would be a good choice.

The Firecrests are also more aero with a narrow tire, though a 23 works better on them than the old style.

Note that clincher tires always bulge out, unlike tubulars. A 23mm tire on a wide tubular rim will still be 23mm... but 23mm clincher on a wide rim will be ~25mm.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said no racing on these... in that case it doesn't matter a bit.

Railing the Berm of Life
    Sweet, thanks.

So they are still in the 'narrower is faster' category. Thats good to know. I have been super happy with my 23mm gp4000s and may just buy another set!

Im on the fence about racing road next season anyway. And if I choose to this season it will be 95% crits and I may get a cheap wheelset to avoid destroying my zipps. Im afraid of getting wrecked out on the road and getting hurt... On the dirt only you are to blame!

Ill try to contact Zipp and see if they have anything extra to add. May be doubtful but worth a shot.

Thanks again guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Zipp will likely tell you something, but they have an incentive to cover their butts by recommending fatter tires. My Supersonic recommendation is based on an independent test. For TTs I use the Flashpoint 80s which have the same profile as the old Zipps, and I always use 20mm Supersonics with latex tubes.

The 23mm GP4000 is fine. Unless you are riding a TT and care about a few seconds, there is no reason to use anything else.

Railing the Berm of Life
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Zipp will likely tell you something, but they have an incentive to cover their butts by recommending fatter tires. My Supersonic recommendation is based on an independent test. For TTs I use the Flashpoint 80s which have the same profile as the old Zipps, and I always use 20mm Supersonics with latex tubes.

The 23mm GP4000 is fine. Unless you are riding a TT and care about a few seconds, there is no reason to use anything else.
    Cool, Ill message zipp about it tomorrow. I would have asked them first but they were off chat all day Monday.

Ill look into those supersonics for my TTs. I hold the record for our local hill climb TT but never come close to winning on the flat... Maybe the right tire paired to the right wheel will make me suck less.

Railing the Berm of Life
    For the record, 21mm tires are recommended by Zipp for the 505 rim.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo View Post
    For the record, 21mm tires are recommended by Zipp for the 505 rim.
    hopefully you'll ignore this recommendation because as you stated in the first post, these wheels are 'just for training' and the roads in your area are 'not the best'. i'm about your size and i'd use 25mm tires unless they were Michelin, then i'd use the 23.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Railing the Berm of Life
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    hopefully you'll ignore this recommendation because as you stated in the first post, these wheels are 'just for training' and the roads in your area are 'not the best'. i'm about your size and i'd use 25mm tires unless they were Michelin, then i'd use the 23.
    Of course Im going to ignore it! I do what I want I thought the information may be useful to someone else in the future.

The group rides are essentially over for the winter. Everyone gets out of shape and I get into shape so it makes it no fun. Intervals alone will be done instead.

I hate changing flats in the cold, so im thinking about gatorskins for the winter. But my 25mm gatorskins measure out to 26.5-27.5mm depending on the rim and are a tight squeeze in my Cervelo s1...

Anyone know what a 23mm gatorskin measures out to?

Any other recommendations for a puncture resistant tire for winter that measures to 24-25mm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd just stick with the GP 4000S's 23mm. They are fairly durable and are decently fast. You can also look at the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires in 23mm.

Railing the Berm of Life
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    I'd just stick with the GP 4000S's 23mm. They are fairly durable and are decently fast. You can also look at the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires in 23mm.
    Im digging the look and reviews of those Pro 4s. I can get them for 6 dollars less for the set and the red color would look nice on my Cervelo S1.

The reviews are good too. Supposedly the ride quality is a touch better as well.