Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Westernbikeworks will sometimes have the Veloflex Corsa on sale for a totally ridiculous price of $30. They usually have this sale about 2-3 times/year in their "Daily Deal" specials. If you subscribe to their email list, you'll get this notice (I know, email list).
    Great tires at a great price.

Worth noting though is they are extremely narrow relative to others at the same supposed width.
    So if you like 23mm tires get 25mm Veloflex. If you like 25mm they probably aint for you.
    At one point I had on a 25 Veloflex and a 23 Vittoria and the 23 Vittoria was actually quite a bit wider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have used the Michelin Lithion 2 and it's cheap and worked fine for me.

I'm currently running Conti GP 4000S
    Mike
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Mid level is a bit subjective. I like Conti 4000's but being cheap, and a recreational rider, I normally go with Vittoria Rubino, which quite a bit less expensive
    +1

Recently bought 4 Conti GP 4000s II in 28mm to put on my new Emonda ALR frame, and have been a bit taken aback at how comfortable they are, durable so far (knock on wood), and good handling/performance. But boy are they expensive when you don't get them on sale.

On all my other bikes, I have Vittoria Rubino (pros) 25mm, and those tires are just near indestructable, even with the cobbles & road conditions here. They handle well too, rain and/or sun, are a big factor is they are affordable as heck compared to Conti's stuff. Over the years the Rubino Pros have lulled me into forgetting to check them, and I can't tell you how many times I've looked back there on my bikes to see the tread is nearly gone, it's running on threads, and I never noticed. And the tires had like 7-8K miles on them. Just unreal durability along with performance. I've heard Vittoria is doing the Rubinos in 28mm now, iirc, so I am interested in trying them out too.

The more I ride 28mm, and realize I can get away with 65psi up front and only 80-85psi in rear, despite my ~185-190lbs weight (racing season), the more I am wondering why in heck I have been riding anything else. With 28mm rubber I am just as fast as I am 25mm, arguably faster since I am fresher at race's end, and have no problems with them when racing kermesses & averaging over 40kmph+ for the entire race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    I've heard Vittoria is doing the Rubinos in 28mm now, iirc, so I am interested in trying them out too.
    They are. I got some last year.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    +1

The more I ride 28mm, and realize I can get away with 65psi up front and only 80-85psi in rear, despite my ~185-190lbs weight (racing season), the more I am wondering why in heck I have been riding anything else.
    Word!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Its amazing how much the prices of tires vary. Bike shops will sell Conti 4000S for twice that. Next time around, try Vittoria Corsa G+. I used to the a Conti 4000S fan until I tried the Vittoria's. Now I've got a half dozen of them in my basement that I'm thinking of selling -- the fleet is moving over to Vittoria Corsa as tires wear out.

Road Warrior
    I'm a big Continental 4K fan but Bontrager R3s are great also and can be found for half the price. The R3s are extremely under rated..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Affordable is subjective I suppose. I’m on my second set of Michelin Power Competition in 25mm. I’m around 168 and run them ~90psi front and ~95psi rear. I got 2400 miles out of the last set and only flatted once due to hitting a really big uneven chunk of road while descending at speed. (Pinch flat)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Its amazing how much the prices of tires vary. Bike shops will sell Conti 4000S for twice that. Next time around, try Vittoria Corsa G+. I used to the a Conti 4000S fan until I tried the Vittoria's. Now I've got a half dozen of them in my basement that I'm thinking of selling -- the fleet is moving over to Vittoria Corsa as tires wear out.
    Much to the consternation of the local shops, the reason their prices are high is because their distributors prices are high. I think the tag price for GP4000's at my LBS is about $75 per tire. I asked them how they can sell them when you can get them online for $35 a piece (watching for sales). Their answer was 'we asked our distributor the same question!'. The fact is, the shop is paying considerably more that $35 a tire. Needless to say, they aren't selling very many.

It's frustrating, because it's one of the most popular tires going. People come into the shop specifically looking for them, only to be put off by the price and ordering online for half the price.

I don't know how or why some shops can sell them so cheaply without taking a loss. Apparently, the pricing among dealers and distributors is not consistent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Much to the consternation of the local shops, the reason their prices are high is because their distributors prices are high. I think the tag price for GP4000's at my LBS is about $75 per tire. I asked them how they can sell them when you can get them online for $35 a piece (watching for sales). Their answer was 'we asked our distributor the same question!'. The fact is, the shop is paying considerably more that $35 a tire. Needless to say, they aren't selling very many.

It's frustrating, because it's one of the most popular tires going. People come into the shop specifically looking for them, only to be put off by the price and ordering online for half the price.

I don't know how or why some shops can sell them so cheaply without taking a loss. Apparently, the pricing among dealers and distributors is not consistent.
    I would think that as far as competing with businesses in the US the larger internet shops can buy larger numbers of product driving their prices down.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It is absolutely RIDICULOUS that one could get a very nice (mid level performance) automobile tire for $50-$60 apiece that will last 30k miles handily,..., and yet, the msrp price of a Conti GP4000 and similar tires are in the $75-$90 range that will render itself useless at the touch by a piece of glass. I mean how totally ridiculous and out of touch with reality is the cycling industry???

yeah yeah don't tell me about "economy of scale" bs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is absolutely RIDICULOUS that one could get a very nice (mid level performance) automobile tire for $50-$60 apiece that will last 30k miles handily,..., and yet, the msrp price of a Conti GP4000 and similar tires are in the $75-$90 range that will render itself useless at the touch by a piece of glass. I mean how totally ridiculous and out of touch with reality is the cycling industry???

But it's true. Pricing has more to do with supply and demand than actual material worth. Why does a skimpy little black dress cost more than a pair of jeans? The one that costs more isn't the one that has more material nor the one that will last for more wearings.

Not to mention that comparing a $50-60 car tire with a Conti GP4000 is not really a fair comparison anyway. The only car tire you will get for $50 is a budget Khumo or Hancook. I would compare those to a budget $15-20 bike tire. Most good reputable brand car tires will be $100 or more.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member

I guess if it really bothers you sell the bikes and buy a Hot Rod.
    Too old to ride plastic

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

You can get a perfectly fine bicycle tire for $15 that'll last you many miles.
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tire-wire-bead

And you can buy a car tire for a mid sized car that costs $424.66 ea. I mean... how ridiculous is that?
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The only car tire you would get for $50 is a budget Khumo or Hancook. I would compare those to a budget $15-20 bike tire. Most good reputable brand car tires will be $100 or more.
    Yea I'm not sure where you would get a car tire for $50. My wife has a Honda Fit. It's got about the smallest size tires you can get. And they ain't no $50.
    Last edited by tlg; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:24 AM.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yea I'm not sure where you would get a car tire for $50. My wife has a Honda Fit. It's got about the smallest size tires you can get. And they ain't no $50.
    Right here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toModClar=Base

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well... that is more than $50.
    Hers is the EX model, and those are $62 cheapest.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Well... that is more than $50.
    Hers is the EX model, and those are $62 cheapest.
    LOL! It's in the neighborhood, so-to-say. Smart@$$.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadleg View Post
    vittoria rubino pro around $30-35
    +1... tried these on a recommendation from a friend. I am really impressed with them. Now my favorite tires are GP4000S 2, Mavic Yksion Pro, Specialized Turbo Pro and Vittoria Rubino Pro.
    Last edited by terbennett; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:16 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Not to mention that comparing a $50-60 car tire with a Conti GP4000 is not really a fair comparison anyway. The only car tire you will get for $50 is a budget Khumo or Hancook. I would compare those to a budget $15-20 bike tire. Most good reputable brand car tires will be $100 or more.
    Yeah, GP4000 equivalent car tire would cost a lot more than $50-60 each.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    $30 apiece is my cutoff line for a bicycle tire. The FACT that there are MANY onliners willing to have deep discount on GP4000 or Vit or other "high performance" tires for less than HALF the price tells me that somebody is gouging consumers!

No consumer with half a brain will ever pay msrp price for anything in cycling.

But let's talk about performance difference vs price difference. The GP4000 is touted as "performance", and the Rubino is labelled as budget. One tire is doubled the price of the toher. Yet, the only performance difference between the two tire is probably just rolling resistance, and whether this translate to real performance for a typical user on the road is highly dependent on his ability to go past 20mph consistency, so thus the effective performance gain is questionable. Handling wise, they're about the same. Sh*t I myself find the GP4000 is one of the worse handling tire in its price range. And they still have the sidewall shearing issue.

But on the automobile side, the performance difference between a budget tire and a high performance tire is day and night, you feel it under acceleration, under braking, cornering, you feel the difference immediately.

Sorry but performance and price don't scale nicely in the world of cycling. Marketing boys and middlemen all want more $$$ for what they're selling... aka they all want to gouge.

You will not find a high performance car tire discounted for less than half the msrp price.

anyway, I know i'm beating dead horse here, not looking to convince anyone, just more of me ranting on the internet eh. Good day gents!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I am known for being very cheap but no way am I going to put $50 tires on my car even on my cheapo Honda Fit. I have bought tires before that were less then $50 but that was back in 1985

RoadBikeReview Member
    But let's talk about performance difference vs price difference. The GP4000 is touted as "performance", and the Rubino is labelled as budget.
    The Rubino is not a budget tire. It is considered Vittoria's mid-range tire. Zaffiro is their budget tire. Corsa is their top of the line.

I just bought a pair of Rubino Pro G+'s for $38.25 off JensonUSA with their RIDE15 promo:

Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ Tire | Jenson USA

Users on Biketiresdirect gave them a good rating too:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...plus-road-tire

One tire is doubled the price of the toher. Yet, the only performance difference between the two tire is probably just rolling resistance, and whether this translate to real performance for a typical user on the road is highly dependent on his ability to go past 20mph consistency, so thus the effective performance gain is questionable. Handling wise, they're about the same. Sh*t I myself find the GP4000 is one of the worse handling tire in its price range. And they still have the sidewall shearing issue.
    Your point is taken here. Here is an interesting site where they tested tires' rolling resistance as well as other traits:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews

Note that there are no tremendous differences that you are likely to feel. Do you think you can feel a difference of 10W? I'm pretty sure I can't.

So why is the Conti GP4000 so expensive? As I said before, it's the simple law of supply and demand. Continental is a big name in tires and the sheeple mentality is that "more people own it, so it must be good". Smaller, lesser known brands don't have that herd advantage, so they have to work harder to gain sales.

I know i'm beating dead horse here, not looking to convince anyone, just more of me ranting on the internet eh. Good day gents!
    Go ride your bike, you'll feel better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Great tires at a great price.

Worth noting though is they are extremely narrow relative to others at the same supposed width.
    So if you like 23mm tires get 25mm Veloflex. If you like 25mm they probably aint for you.
    At one point I had on a 25 Veloflex and a 23 Vittoria and the 23 Vittoria was actually quite a bit wider.
    while I haven't taken the time to compare the Veloflex 25mm to other 25mm tires, but I think the Veloflex expand and stretch out after a couple hundred miles. That's what they appear like to me from eyeballing them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    anyway, I know i'm beating dead horse here, not looking to convince anyone, just more of me ranting on the internet eh. Good day gents!
    Now that you got it off your chest, hope you feel better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Go ride your bike, you'll feel better.
    Yeah, but what if the weather isn't cooperating? You've seen the recent thread about the spring this year. It's been bad enough to cause winter blues on some people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast