Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Yeah, but what if the weather isn't cooperating? You've seen the recent thread about the spring this year. It's been bad enough to cause winter blues on some people.
    I'm in socal, riding 6 days/wk, legs are well tired. Relax time means come on RBR for my rant

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The Rubino is not a budget tire. It is considered Vittoria's mid-range tire. Zaffiro is their budget tire. Corsa is their top of the line.

I just bought a pair of Rubino Pro G+'s for $38.25 off JensonUSA with their RIDE15 promo:

Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ Tire | Jenson USA

Users on Biketiresdirect gave them a good rating too:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...plus-road-tire

Your point is taken here. Here is an interesting site where they tested tires' rolling resistance as well as other traits:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews

Note that there are no tremendous differences that you are likely to feel. Do you think you can feel a difference of 10W? I'm pretty sure I can't.

So why is the Conti GP4000 so expensive? As I said before, it's the simple law of supply and demand. Continental is a big name in tires and the sheeple mentality is that "more people own it, so it must be good". Smaller, lesser known brands don't have that herd advantage, so they have to work harder to gain sales.

Go ride your bike, you'll feel better.
    Continental dictates that their product can't be sold for under a certain price in the US. That's why they are so much cheaper in England, for example, that has laws againt such trade practices.

I don't think you are going to get the same treadwear mileage out of a Rubino tire vs a Conti 4000S. I've been disappointed with tread life of Vittorias I've used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I'm in socal, riding 6 days/wk, legs are well tired. Relax time means come on RBR for my rant
    Maybe that's the culprit. As they say, too much of anything can be bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I've been disappointed with tread life of Vittorias I've used.
    Which brings up a question similar to this thread. What counts more, the quality of each ride or quantity? Name:  Emoticon-Think.gif
Views: 139
Size:  2.2 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think you are going to get the same treadwear mileage out of a Rubino tire vs a Conti 4000S. I've been disappointed with tread life of Vittorias I've used.
    Which Vittoria tires did you use that had a lousy tread life? How many miles did you get? The reviews I've read on the Rubinos were good.

I used to get at least 3000 miles out of a rear Maxxis Re-Fuse. I decided to try the Vittoria Rubinos to gain more comfort. So far, they are slightly more comfortable than the Re-Fuses and no flats yet. I don't expect to get as many miles out of them as the Re-Fuse is a "bombproof at the expense of all other qualities" tire.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    IMO, Michelin Pro 4 SCs currently offer the best balance of cost/durability/handling/compliance for performance road riding. I love those tires. Maxxis Re-fuse are my favorite current more durable tire for commuting, urban etc. GP4000iiS ride similarly to the Michelins but are too prone to sidewall cuts in my experience. Panaracer-made Compass tires are offer superb ride and speed (especially at 35MM+), but they're hardly cheap.

Also, we all don't live long enough to ride cheap/stiff/crappy tires. I say spend the extra $20 per wheel, nothing else makes such an immediate difference for so little money.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Also, we all don't live long enough to ride cheap/stiff/crappy tires. I say spend the extra $20 per wheel, nothing else makes such an immediate difference for so little money.
    Agreed. Life's too short to ride crappy tires just to save enough money to buy some over-priced coffee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Which Vittoria tires did you use that had a lousy tread life? How many miles did you get? The reviews I've read on the Rubinos were good.

I used to get at least 3000 miles out of a rear Maxxis Re-Fuse. I decided to try the Vittoria Rubinos to gain more comfort. So far, they are slightly more comfortable than the Re-Fuses and no flats yet. I don't expect to get as many miles out of them as the Re-Fuse is a "bombproof at the expense of all other qualities" tire.
    Open Corsa CX III, and a secondary brand that I forgot the name of that were built by Vittoria.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Open Corsa CX III, and a secondary brand that I forgot the name of that were built by Vittoria.
    Well yes, the Open Corsa series is designed to be a fast supple race tire at the expense of durability and puncture protection.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

a real member's member
    paselas
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

No lie, man!
    Has anyone compared the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp to the newer Vredestein Senso All Weather?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123