Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Favorite affordable road rubber?

Howdy gang -

I've been out of the game for a while. Getting back on the bike after taking a few years off. I need tires. Currently running 23mm, but leaning towards 25mm this go around, and not tubeless. I guess the tires could be tubeless ready, but I will run tubes. And honestly, I don't know what tires are on my bike now. Some off-brand my coach recommended - I'd need to look at the tire again to know what they are.

My riding is general fitness, solo cruising speed currently is 15mph or so, and expect to stretch that to 18 or so as I get back in shape, so I am not a rocket. I don't need armadillo or gator tires. Looking for a nice ride, good handling (I like to dive corners when I can). While I can afford higher priced tires, I'd rather get something mid-level pricing...

So what is your favorite?
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-rigged View Post
    Howdy gang -

I've been out of the game for a while. Getting back on the bike after taking a few years off. I need tires. Currently running 23mm, but leaning towards 25mm this go around, and not tubeless. I guess the tires could be tubeless ready, but I will run tubes. And honestly, I don't know what tires are on my bike now. Some off-brand my coach recommended - I'd need to look at the tire again to know what they are.

My riding is general fitness, solo cruising speed currently is 15mph or so, and expect to stretch that to 18 or so as I get back in shape, so I am not a rocket. I don't need armadillo or gator tires. Looking for a nice ride, good handling (I like to dive corners when I can). While I can afford higher priced tires, I'd rather get something mid-level pricing...

So what is your favorite?
    Mid level is a bit subjective. I like Conti 4000's but being cheap, and a recreational rider, I normally go with Vittoria Rubino, which quite a bit less expensive

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've become a fan of Compass tires. They an be a bit pricey but they make a 26mm tire.
    Too old to ride plastic

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You should define what you consider affordable. That's a subjective term.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You should define what you consider affordable. That's a subjective term.
    Yeah good point. And I am not sure the answer. Yeah, I could pay $100 a tire, if I thought it was worth it. I'd rather pay $20, but I don't want pure crap.

I lunch I was looking at the Coni 4000' "Black chili", but put them back when I saw $75 each. Now I am looking at the 4-seasons on line, but they are more $$$, so go figure. The other tire I looked at and put back was the Gator skin, because back when it was considered a rough riding tire. Reading reviews now, they seem to be better? Trying to dig thru the reviews section here at RBR.

Oh, and so I text my two cycling buddies, "what tire do you ride" and get back, Coni 4000's and GatorSkins... LOL

So I guess I am looking at those three now. Coni GP4000s, GP 4-Season, or Gatorskins (folding or steel?)
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    You can get the current Continental 4000s from Ebay for about $70-75 / pair. Here is a link to a seller that came up first when I just did a search: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-Contin...YGgqDQmevEd0bw May be cheaper if you look. I've even see deals that throw in the tubes. Lots of places have deals on the Conti 4000s. That's the tire I ride and how I get mine.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hard to go wrong with Conti 4000's. They're readily available online, ebay, amazon for $35-$40 ea.
    You're hard pressed to find a cheaper, faster, more durable better handling tire.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    last three sets of tires were Schwalbe ONE, Michelin Pro Service Course 4, Conti 4K II...the Contis yielded notably better mileage than the other two.

forget that Gator crap. they provide a horrid ride and the GPs offer just as much puncture resistance.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    subscribe to Probikekit email list, they often have tires on sale. They're based in the UK and delivery takes about 1-2 weeks, so stock up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Hard to go wrong with Conti 4000's. They're readily available online, ebay, amazon for $35-$40 ea.
    You're hard pressed to find a cheaper, faster, more durable better handling tire.
    FWIW, that hasn't been my experience. Seems like I get a flat (puncture) every 4-5 rides on the 4000s (23mm). Been riding them in tandem, for the past few years, with my other GP 4 Seasoned (23mm) bike, where I've gone an entire season befoe without a flat. I love the 4000s feel/ride, but the 4 Season is not far off, and have proven more durable. I'm about 185lbs, and ride them between 85-90psi, on HED Belgiums. 4 Seasons can also be had for around $35/ea at various online stores...at times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    GP4000 25mm only. I have tried others but I like them the best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe better is to ask where people shop for tires. There's always something to be said for supporting your LBS, but certain web sites are known for good prices and occasional sales. With somewhat limited selection at my LBS, I tend to check out Nashbar, Bike Tires Direct, and Wiggle. You stand a good chance of finding any popular, high-end tire for less than $50.

That said, I'm another fan of Compass. I'm willing to pay a little more for what to me is a nicer ride. They have also given decent life. YMMV!
    Last edited by bobf; 4 Days Ago at 09:51 PM.

Cpark
    +1
    I have tried other tires over the years, but I keep coming back to 4000S II.
    I use the 25mm size for all my road bikes with 65/85 psi pressure, and I have experienced 2 flats in 3 years of riding (about 4,000 miles per year).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Usually, conti 4k from ebay. I have had a few sidewall cuts in them. Usually, lose a pair per season (9000 miles) to sidewall cuts.

Conti 4 seasons are a bit more durable. But, slower.
    Last edited by crit_boy; 6 Days Ago at 10:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    vittoria rubino pro around $30-35

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another vote for Conti 4000's, its all I ride on - and if you search around they can be had reasonably - I would never pay $75 a pieces for them though - that's way to much - for a pair that's reasonable. I stock up for the season when they are on sale for a good price somewhere.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    subscribe to Probikekit email list, they often have tires on sale. They're based in the UK and delivery takes about 1-2 weeks, so stock up.
    And/or google.

Challenge, who makes some really good tires, seems to be really hard to find on-sale but other than them retail price is kind of N/A except for an emergency bike shop purchase.

Vittoria Corsa is my favorite for regular 'road' riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I just picked up another pair of the GP4000 from the ebay seller mentioned above. They were 69$ and change for the pair with free shipping.

Nice overall tires. Don't forget that they run a little big though. My 700/23 tires measure around 25mm on my wheels. And the 700/25 measure around 27-28mm. Just make sure you have room for the 25mm if you decide to get those.

One of the ebay sellers even has a mix and match combo, where you can get a 23/25 or 25/28 for front/rear. I considered doing that but I can’t fit a 25mm on my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is no perfect tire for every purpose.

Most comfy at the expense of puncture resistance: Vittoria Open Corsa

Good compromise between these two: Vittoria Rubino

Bombproof, but somewhat harsh: Maxxis ReFuse

Where to find the best prices on your tires of choice? Google Shopping is your friend.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Neophyte
    GP4000s have been on sale at Excelsports lately.

I may not be in the norm but I've always liked Specialized tires. I've ridden Turbo Pro for years but I'm still going through the last few tires of old stock and haven't tried the newer Turbo Cotton yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks ya'll.

I am thinking of getting the Coni 4k from the Ebay "the_Bikesmith" $69 for a pair seems like a great deal-
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-rigged View Post
    Thanks ya'll.

I am thinking of getting the Coni 4k from the Ebay "the_Bikesmith" $69 for a pair seems like a great deal-
    The pair I just got came from the Bikesmith. 69.09$ with free shipping. I received them in 4 days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    {Mispost}

Russian Troll Farmer
    My favorite affordable rubber is Trojan, but Ramses is also a good brand...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    And/or google.

Challenge, who makes some really good tires, seems to be really hard to find on-sale but other than them retail price is kind of N/A except for an emergency bike shop purchase.

Vittoria Corsa is my favorite for regular 'road' riding.
    Westernbikeworks will sometimes have the Veloflex Corsa on sale for a totally ridiculous price of $30. They usually have this sale about 2-3 times/year in their "Daily Deal" specials. If you subscribe to their email list, you'll get this notice (I know, email list).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast