RoadBikeReview Member

Fitting 11 speed cassette to Hope Mono RS hub

This hub is supposed to accept 11 speed cassette and it does, but with no spacer in place it "wiggles" or has play. With the 1 mm spacer, everything locks down nice and tight, but the lockring hits the frame. The drive side spacer is too narrow (too short) to connect with the dropout. What to do?
    IA ORA TE NATURA
    E MEA AROFA TEIE AO NEI

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not sure what is going on...Shouldn't need any spacer with 11 speed road. You might try a different lock nut. Some are thinner than others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm using the Ultegra lock ring that came with the cassette. What else would I use?
    IA ORA TE NATURA
    E MEA AROFA TEIE AO NEI

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    THats a pretty thin lock ring. It even has a taper on it so I dont think it is the issue. Could have wrong end cap on that side of axle. I'm still wondering about it having to use spacer on cassete. Worse case scenario would be to add a small thin washer(think peddle washer)between freehub bearing and end cap to increase the stack height.
    Last edited by Enoch562; 06-30-2017 at 12:16 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If it's not something as simple as you not tightening the lockring enough I'd probably want to contact Hope or their US distributor and see what they have to say. I see a TON of different stuff but Hope is one of them. I have very little experience w/ them and as that is the case I'm not going to guess about random washers/spacers.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I just measured my Pro4 and RS4 Rear Freehubs and end caps. I have run 11 speed Ultegra cassette on both with no spacer and no issue. I did not have Mono RS hub on hand but I would expect about the same measurements.

THe Cassette body plunged measurement is 36.78mm and the Skewer end cap measured 13.20.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try a thinner spacer.

I have seen differences with 11-speed freehubs of the same brand - Shimano. I was using a Shimano RS-21 wheelset (11-speed freehub) with a 10-speed drivetrain. I used a spacer to make it work properly. When I built up a wheelset with Ultegra 6800 hubs, I could not get the lockring on. Tried without the spacer and the cassette wiggled. Took it to my shop and they used a thinner spacer. Success!

So it appears there can be slight differences in length of "11-speed" freehubs.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all the good advice. Enoch562 that's exactly the end cap I have. I was thinking of trying to find a washer/spacer to fit under the end cap, but I'm not sure it will click on with that in place. I'm off to the LBS to find a narrower cassette spacer. (.5mm?)
    IA ORA TE NATURA
    E MEA AROFA TEIE AO NEI

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gthcarolina View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice. Enoch562 that's exactly the end cap I have. I was thinking of trying to find a washer/spacer to fit under the end cap, but I'm not sure it will click on with that in place. I'm off to the LBS to find a narrower cassette spacer. (.5mm?)
    Did you solve the mystery? I have been very pleased with all my Hope Hubs. THey are a cost effective alternative.