RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

fix an un-round tubular tire?

well i have a brand new tubular tire (vredestine tricomp) that is a little un-round at a spot. So it gives a little hop whenever it rolls over this spot. I've ridden the tire for a week now and looks like the problem isn't going away. Is there any chance to remedy this or is this tire toast?

Going on the flat on bumpy pavement at 17-20 mph is ok as I don't feel the issue because the hopping of the tire mix right in with the bumpiness of the road. But whenever speed picks up above 25 mph, especially on smoother pavement, I definitely can feel my rear wheel hopping, and speed over 30 mph the hop gets a little scarry as my mind is completely occupied by it.

I have since peel the tire off the rim and remounted (without gluing it) and the hop is still there. I can visibly see the faulty carcass spot on the tire, it bulges out a bit, enough to see the fault. So either I fix this tire and or it's trash. I'm inclined to think it's trash but just want to ask yall anyway

'brifter' is a lame word.
    One giant problem here is that pretty much every tire manufacturer says if you apply glue to the tire, no warranty. Period. If you've pulled the tire, put it back on, and it still has the bad spot you could try taking a video and sending it to the tire distributor but they're very likely going to say no warranty because you put glue on the tire. Ideally you would've put the tire on the rim (maybe you did?) w/ no glue prior to gluing it just to make sure it was good and that it held air. I've got some stretching rims at the shop that I use, every tire gets put on and inflated to make sure it's good to go. I can't see any way of 'fixing' this if the tire was mounted straight and stretched evenly around the rim. It's not at the valve, right?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    and it still has the bad spot you could try taking a video and sending it to the tire distributor
    I've done that with a pair of clincher tires (it was bad). They refunded me with store credit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    sorry I was not clear enough in my first post.

As a matter of fact, I hava NOT glued the tire on the rim at all. Yep, what happened was that I had mounted this tire on a wheel a while back (at least a couple months ago) and just left it mounted (no gluing). Then a couple months later I need to use that wheel and I just took it out of my closet and use it, forgetting that I had NOT glued the tire. So now I was riding an unglued tire. The first few rides I was going slowly so I didn't notice the hop, and it was probably not until a few days later that I started to notice the hop, but I kept riding it anyway thinking that eventually the carcass would fix itself as it wears in. However, the reverse is happening, the hop is actually getting worse, not better.

Then eventually I got a slow flat on the tire, which prompted me to get off my bike. Din't see any debris causing the slow leak, maybe bad inner tube?? Anway, that was when I discovered I had in fact NOT glued this tire. I was a little shocked myself to discovered that! I had since fixed the slow leak by using sealant, that fixed it instantly.

But back to your question, no the bulge is not at the valve. Initially I thought that maybe the bulge is at the valve and that I had caused the bulge by not gluing the tire in to the rim. But as I have discovered, the bulge is not at the valve, and the slow leak is also NOT at the bulge (I can tell by listening to the leaking air). So the slow leak happens at another location from the bulge and probably unrelated problems.

Since I got this tire on ebay a few months ago for 30something bux, I don't expect much warranty recourse form either the ebay seller or Vredestein. I'm thinking of taking a heatgun and heat up that bulge spot to see if that will smoothen it out, but heating the tire could also mean i'm delaminating the rubber from the carcass in some way too?

Just curious here, what are the chances that Vredestein would even reply to my warranty inquiring email if I told them I bought it thru ebay? Will they laugh at me?! maybe I just have a lemon tire.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    sorry I was not clear enough in my first post.

As a matter of fact, I hava NOT glued the tire on the rim at all. Yep, what happened was that I had mounted this tire on a wheel a while back (at least a couple months ago) and just left it mounted (no gluing). Then a couple months later I need to use that wheel and I just took it out of my closet and use it, forgetting that I had NOT glued the tire. So now I was riding an unglued tire. The first few rides I was going slowly so I didn't notice the hop, and it was probably not until a few days later that I started to notice the hop, but I kept riding it anyway thinking that eventually the carcass would fix itself as it wears in. However, the reverse is happening, the hop is actually getting worse, not better.

Then eventually I got a slow flat on the tire, which prompted me to get off my bike. Din't see any debris causing the slow leak, maybe bad inner tube?? Anway, that was when I discovered I had in fact NOT glued this tire. I was a little shocked myself to discovered that! I had since fixed the slow leak by using sealant, that fixed it instantly.

But back to your question, no the bulge is not at the valve. Initially I thought that maybe the bulge is at the valve and that I had caused the bulge by not gluing the tire in to the rim. But as I have discovered, the bulge is not at the valve, and the slow leak is also NOT at the bulge (I can tell by listening to the leaking air). So the slow leak happens at another location from the bulge and probably unrelated problems.

Since I got this tire on ebay a few months ago for 30something bux, I don't expect much warranty recourse form either the ebay seller or Vredestein. I'm thinking of taking a heatgun and heat up that bulge spot to see if that will smoothen it out, but heating the tire could also mean i'm delaminating the rubber from the carcass in some way too?

Just curious here, what are the chances that Vredestein would even reply to my warranty inquiring email if I told them I bought it thru ebay?
    Will they laugh at me?! maybe I just have a lemon tire.
    It would depend on whether you bought it from someone that is an authorized or legit reseller of their tires.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    This is probably the #1 problem with cheap tubulars. Some are just not sewn correctly (I have a Hutchison Gold like that still in my shop), and some really awful tires (cough...Vittoria Rallys...cough) are NEVER very round because they use an overlap-bond tube. What's the solution? Buy better tubulars!

I've never had an out-of-round tire from Tufo or Challenge. I once did get an out-of-round Continental Sprinter! There's probably a reason why they were on EBay; they were probably manufacturer's seconds.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    This is probably the #1 problem with cheap tubulars. Some are just not sewn correctly (I have a Hutchison Gold like that still in my shop), and some really awful tires (cough...Vittoria Rallys...cough) are NEVER very round because they use an overlap-bond tube. What's the solution? Buy better tubulars!

I've never had an out-of-round tire from Tufo or Challenge. I once did get an out-of-round Continental Sprinter! There's probably a reason why they were on EBay; they were probably manufacturer's seconds.
    oh man I knew i was taking a risk on ebay. usually I buy my tubular from probikekit, but I thought what the heck 30somthing bux a piece is not bad for these for training. I bought 3 of them, the other 2 are good (just tested them today), 1 was bad, chuck it up as cost of doing business on ebay eh.

Regarding the Tufo. I think Tufos are easy to make round because they vulcanize all their layers into one chunky tire, it's why they're hard and ride harsh. Making tubular tire with corespun carcass and then laying rubber on this carcass is harder i think. One thing good about Tufo is that they fold very compactly and so make nice spare, and they seal very well with sealant, seal even better than tubeless tire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    If the tire already has a leak and a bulge it is garbage, sorry. The manufacturer will not replace a tire that you have a leak in and shot full of sealant, regardless of any issues it is not necessarily a defect. I would move on and check the tires when you stretch them.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post

Regarding the Tufo. I think Tufos are easy to make round because they vulcanize all their layers into one chunky tire, it's why they're hard and ride harsh. Making tubular tire with corespun carcass and then laying rubber on this carcass is harder i think. One thing good about Tufo is that they fold very compactly and so make nice spare, and they seal very well with sealant, seal even better than tubeless tire!
    The S3 Pro is not hard, and rides fairly well. It has a rubber compound that's actually relatively soft, although the tread is quite thick, and the tires are far from being featherweight. Still, look around-I found them for $33/each online.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"