Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think it is important to start with fresh pads on the ceramic rims. I have some green cool stops on the way. The only reason I used carbon pads was that I knew they no no alloy chips in them. I do believe if you get some tiny rocks in your pads it could score them. I would think if the pads were clean to start, it would be hard to get grit in them. Looking at the picture of the worn track, I wonder how do you miss aligning your brakes on these rims. THe brake track is huge when you compare them to Heds rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    I think it is important to start with fresh pads on the ceramic rims. I have some green cool stops on the way. The only reason I used carbon pads was that I knew they no no alloy chips in them. I do believe if you get some tiny rocks in your pads it could score them. I would think if the pads were clean to start, it would be hard to get grit in them. Looking at the picture of the worn track, I wonder how do you miss aligning your brakes on these rims. THe brake track is huge when you compare them to Heds rim.

Unless you can be sure you will never get caught in the rain or you only ride on the cleanest of roads, grit in your brake pads is a fact of life. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Got mine today and they look great. Love the new November logo!

They are really wide external width. In fact they don't fit the stock M.O.S.T (Pinarello house brand) brake calipers. Even completely open with the cable loose, the pads are grabbing the rim - and I don't mean just barely. I don't know what re-branded brakes they are, but they don't fit. The wheels and tires have plenty of space in the frame and fork so that is not an issue. I ended up switching the SRAM Rival brake calipers off my old bike and they barely fit with the supplied pads. There is about 1mm clearance with no cable tension.

Mounting the tires - Vittoria Rubino Pro III's 25c - was easy and went on by hand with no tools necessary. When mounted they measure 26.3mm width at 90 psi. I only got to run up and down the block a few times before dark so I can't comment on performance except they sound almost like carbon at low speed - you know that hollow hum. Not nearly as loud but it was there. I had to laugh when I heard it. I'm looking forward to riding them. I'll post pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by tinball; 03-29-2017 at 05:54 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Glad they arrived, and I'm almost embarrassingly psyched that you like the new logos enough to mention it.

The tires are pretty easy to mount, huh? We shipped several sets with GP4000s and Schwalbe Pro One tubeless installed yesterday, and I usually use a tire lever just as a matter of course, but didn't with any of them.

Enjoy them. And post pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Just thought I would share pics. 1st wheels out of the box:
    Attachment 318478

Next the issue with the brake spacing. It's really grabbing on the back of the pad.
    Attachment 318479

Bike with wheels - sorry for the poor lighting - it's about to rain here so I wanted to grab the photo before it started

Attachment 318480

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    After a few hundred miles I'm noticing a couple of spots on brake track getting thin. Overall rims have been a good addition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're not the only one.

Definitely not a true ceramic coating like Mavic used to offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    That's a little disappointing after such a short distance. What kind of conditions are they seeing? I recall some other users saying the coating still looked good after 1000+ miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Move your brake pads up. On all the rims I've seen thus far (and it's a lot) the brake track coating extends below the brake track by a bit. You can even see this in the picture you posted. But it's thinner there, and there are tiny gaps in the coverage. If you hit those gaps and get to the anodizing below, the anodizing will get scraped off right away.

Also, what pads are you using again? I think the carbon pads we've been using and supplying make a positive difference. They are a way harder compound than the AForce pads. Not sure if you are using the AForce pads, though.

The coating isn't ceramic. Not sure why it's referred to as ceramic. It's plasma electrolytic oxidation coating. Same basic process as Mavic Exalith, DT Swiss oXic, and Campag/Fulcrum Mille - those three are all done in the same place by the same people. I've done a lot of research into this.

Pads definitely make a difference, as evidenced by Mavic's coating having a good rep for sticking around (I think in this thread someone has raised that after 4 months of constant rain riding the Mavic coating began to wear - to me if you have 4 months of constant rain riding and still have a rim at all at the end that's a pretty good day at the office) while Campag/Fulcrum doesn't. But they are the same exact coatings. Different pads.

HED Turbine is a different thing all together. That's a milled finish with anodizing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    You're not the only one.

Definitely not a true ceramic coating like Mavic used to offer.
    I started with some Shimano Carbon pads. THey were just too soft. I switched to Kool Stop Green Ceramic pads like the ones I use on my 517 Mavic MTB rims. Defiantely improved to braking but, I think it may be too much for this coating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cooskull View Post
    Technologically I'd agree with you that 10K miles probably a tall order for what one could expect for the process. But from a user value perspective, that wear rate is on par with say a chain. To me it's a bit like saying your Garmin bike computer will do everything for 1000 miles but after that you loose heart rate and power monitoring. With such a short lifespan, this really isn't a viable half way solution between using standard rim brakes or disc brakes, it's a temporary sugar high. That's my $0.02, I'm sure many will disagree for purely aesthetic reasons alone.
    Whoa, you get 10,000 miles on a chain???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Move your brake pads up. On all the rims I've seen thus far (and it's a lot) the brake track coating extends below the brake track by a bit. You can even see this in the picture you posted. But it's thinner there, and there are tiny gaps in the coverage. If you hit those gaps and get to the anodizing below, the anodizing will get scraped off right away.

Also, what pads are you using again? I think the carbon pads we've been using and supplying make a positive difference. They are a way harder compound than the AForce pads. Not sure if you are using the AForce pads, though.

The coating isn't ceramic. Not sure why it's referred to as ceramic. It's plasma electrolytic oxidation coating. Same basic process as Mavic Exalith, DT Swiss oXic, and Campag/Fulcrum Mille - those three are all done in the same place by the same people. I've done a lot of research into this.

Pads definitely make a difference, as evidenced by Mavic's coating having a good rep for sticking around (I think in this thread someone has raised that after 4 months of constant rain riding the Mavic coating began to wear - to me if you have 4 months of constant rain riding and still have a rim at all at the end that's a pretty good day at the office) while Campag/Fulcrum doesn't. But they are the same exact coatings. Different pads.

HED Turbine is a different thing all together. That's a milled finish with anodizing.
    Exalith is also a textured finish, but with a ceramic-like coating, and expensive brake pads, about $50 a pair.

Yall just get discs already and quit worrying about the brake track ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    Whoa, you get 10,000 miles on a chain???
    No, but I typically get ~6000 miles with KMCs though. My point is I don't believe a rim should be a non-durable commodity item that wouldn't last me even a year (extreme conditions usage aside).

Do you think a rim should be in the same high wear rate category along with chains, bar tape and tires? Yes I realize the rim isn't necessarily trash once the ceramic'ish coating wears out but almost certainly at some point a brake pad swap out will be required. How's the braking going to be when the coating is half worn? Not worth the hassle IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

very nice

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Here's my build. With Carbon-Ti hubs the set weighs 1450g. Looking forward to some better riding weather.

very nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12