RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Talking Fortezza Tire Models For Road Bike??

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm going to buy Fortezzas, but they have so many different models for road. Can anyone speak from experience on which Fortezza is the best? Or what the differences are between the different models?

AJS
    banned
    The main Vredestein road models (not counting their commuter-types) are:

1. Fortezza TriComp Pro Tubular, usually just called the "Vred tubular".
    2. Fortezza Superlite SL, aka "Superlite" or "SL".
    3. Fortezza Tri-Comp, aka "Tri-Comp" or "TC".
    4. Fortezza Road, aka "Fortezza" or "tezza".
    5. Volante TriComp
    6. Volante Road
    7. Ricorso Road

The TC has the harder durometer rubber in the center - for longer wear (somewhat) and perhaps slightly lower rolling resistance (doubtful), and softer durometer on the shoulders. Colors.

The Fortezza has just the softer rubber and not the center strip. The casing, folding beads, and everything else is exactly the same as the TC, except it's Black only.

The SL is meant as a lightweight race day only model, with stiffer shoulders for hard cornering. Probably not the best for everyday riding, (or if you're a total weight freak and don't mind if the tire wears out sooner). Black only.

Both Volante's & the Ricorso have lower TPI casings than the TC & Fortezza, but still of the same quality as TC & 'tezza.

Volante has the choice of hard + soft rubber (Tri-Comp) or single-durometer rubber (Road) and folding beads. Colors.

Ricorso has single-durometer rubber but it's thicker overall for longer wear, and wire beads for lower price. Colors.

www.vredesteinusa.com
    Last edited by AJS; 03-28-2005 at 07:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Talking

I have been on Tri-comps for about 2 years and absolutly love them. I usually run 120 in the rear and 115 in the front. They are very fast, ride very well and the traction is excellent even in the rain. I would highly recommend them. The only other tire I would use in it's place would be a michelin pro race or pro race 2. I also had good experiences with the pro-race, but i think the vredesteins are just as fast but ride alot better than the michelins did. Hope that helps you out

Every little counts...
    I have just ordered a bunch of 25mm Fortezzas for training and the GF's bike. Good value, hand made. Training on ProRaces is okay, just a bit harsh (I don't race on them either).

I race on 22mm Veloflex Blacks. My comfort over long training miles leads me to seek a better training tire. I might use old Veloflex on the front and a 25mm Fortezza on the back for training. I can't run too low pressure (under 100) because there are monster potholes around here!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Exclamation Thanks, one more question

Thanks for the info. I just cant figure out which one is best for me. I just go into cycling. My biggest ride has been a 70-mile ride. I plan on doing a lot of riding this summer, but no racing.

I am thinking either the Fortezza Tricomp or the regular Fortezza. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by AJS
    The main Vredestein road models (not counting their commuter-types) are:

1. Fortezza TriComp Pro Tubular, usually just called the "Vred tubular".
    2. Fortezza Superlite SL, aka "Superlite" or "SL".
    3. Fortezza Tri-Comp, aka "Tri-Comp" or "TC".
    4. Fortezza Road, aka "Fortezza" or "tezza".
    5. Volante TriComp
    6. Volante Road
    7. Ricorso Road

The TC has the harder durometer rubber in the center - for longer wear (somewhat) and perhaps slightly lower rolling resistance (doubtful), and softer durometer on the shoulders. Colors.

The Fortezza has just the softer rubber and not the center strip. The casing, folding beads, and everything else is exactly the same as the TC, except it's Black only.

The SL is meant as a lightweight race day only model, with stiffer shoulders for hard cornering. Probably not the best for everyday riding, (or if you're a total weight freak and don't mind if the tire wears out sooner). Black only.

Both Volante's & the Ricorso have lower TPI casings than the TC & Fortezza, but still of the same quality as TC & 'tezza.

Volante has the choice of hard + soft rubber (Tri-Comp) or single-durometer rubber (Road) and folding beads. Colors.

Ricorso has single-durometer rubber but it's thicker overall for longer wear, and wire beads for lower price. Colors.

www.vredesteinusa.com

Every little counts...
    Fortezza or Tricomp. Your comfort requirements, weight, and road conditions will dictate width/pressure.

AJS
    banned
    Well, IMO they're all very good, including the Volante's and Ricorso. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend and your needs/use priorities.