RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Front Hub Recommendations?

I'm in the market for a budget oriented front hub. My requirements are 24 spokes (bladed preferred but not required), rim brake, traditional quick release skewer. Any recommendations?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I'm in the market for a budget oriented front hub. My requirements are 24 spokes (bladed preferred but not required), rim brake, traditional quick release skewer. Any recommendations?
    Any of the hubs at bikehubstore.com will fit your criteria. As to your "bladed" needs, any of their hubs will accommodate "bladed" spokes like CX-Ray.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Any of the hubs at bikehubstore.com will fit your criteria. As to your "bladed" needs, any of their hubs will accommodate "bladed" spokes like CX-Ray.
    I don't know how generic Bvber wants to go. The Bitex hubs at Bikehubstore.com are not available in 24 hole. Don't know that I'd want to chance the no-name hubs shown there.

Too bad the Ultegra 6800 hubs aren't available in 24 hole, only 32 or 36. They are your best bang for the buck. Personally, if I had to have 24 hole, I'd spring for Dura-Ace 9000:

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-HB-90...YDO?th=1&psc=1
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

No lie, man!
    I built a wheel with the BHS SL79 front hubs with 20 spokes radially laced. Almost 6k miles and no problems.

The hub axle won't allow you to use the larger diameter Ultegra skewers, that's been my only complaint. I had to use the BHS standard skewer in front (I have a T11 rear hub that takes the Ultegra skewer).

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I don't know how generic Bvber wants to go. The Bitex hubs at Bikehubstore.com are not available in 24 hole. Don't know that I'd want to chance the no-name hubs shown there.

Too bad the Ultegra 6800 hubs aren't available in 24 hole, only 32 or 36. They are your best bang for the buck. Personally, if I had to have 24 hole, I'd spring for Dura-Ace 9000:

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-HB-90...YDO?th=1&psc=1
    Does "Bitex" really matter? I've had lots of 24h front hubs from BHS, and I've never known the maker (ha, they get re-branded with my logo!!).
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Does "Bitex" really matter? I've had lots of 24h front hubs from BHS, and I've never known the maker (ha, they get re-branded with my logo!!).
    Russian Roulette? How many miles have you put on these hubs?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Russian Roulette? How many miles have you put on these hubs?
    I don't really care. BHS doesn't sell 2nd rate stuff. If bearings wore out too soon I'd replace with the finest ones I could find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    BHS SLF85W (they are very much available in 24h) and be done. There are better front hubs out there but you will pay much more for them. We've had a few hundred of those go out on builds we've done and they are a very good budget hub and they work just fine with any skewer I've ever put in them. And I'm a big fan of robust skewers, most of mine are Ultegra.

The nice thing about BHS is that they use full contact seal Enduro bearings in their hubs. A lot of OEM hubs, even of the same hub model, come spec'd with terrible bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    BHS SLF85W (they are very much available in 24h) and be done. There are better front hubs out there but you will pay much more for them. We've had a few hundred of those go out on builds we've done and they are a very good budget hub and they work just fine with any skewer I've ever put in them. And I'm a big fan of robust skewers, most of mine are Ultegra.

The nice thing about BHS is that they use full contact seal Enduro bearings in their hubs. A lot of OEM hubs, even of the same hub model, come spec'd with terrible bearings.
    Really? I understand these are very good quality bearings. You would think BHS would give their own hubs a brand name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    They are Bitex hubs, as clearly identified by BHS.

wheelbuilder

I agree these are nice hubs regardless of price. No need to be brand elitist, Bitex have a solid reputation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Off topic somewhere but if you want to use radial, make sure the hub is cool with that. Most are but there are exceptions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The SLF85 is a solid hub.I have built a bunch of them in and not 1 problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are Bitex hubs, as clearly identified by BHS.
    OK, I missed that in the individual options on the right, it says Bitex. It's not in the main description. My mistake.

F125 Front Hub

SuperLight 79 Front Road Hub