RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Fulcrum R5 vs. Aksium...here we go again

I hate to start another "which is better" thread, so I apologize in advance.

I basically have a choice of to bikes, one with Aksiums and the other with R5s. To me, the Aksium is more comparable to the R7, but is the R5 that much better?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I have 2 sets of aksiums, gf has a set too, no problems at all. Not the lightest wheels, but thats not why you are getting them right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    That is correct. I'm not going to racing on them (well not likely), I just want a good training wheel that won't crap out on me. I would be keen on the smoother rolling of the two if there's a big difference, otherwise the stronger of the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I have mavic ksyrium elites, they spin nice, and are very strong wheelset, I crashed with them, and nothing to the wheels. Did not had fulcrums wheelset, so dunno how are they, I thing I would go on mavic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    i have the R5's
    they where an upgrade from my stock wheels (alex 28's). Yes they saved me a bunch of weight (400-500grams) and they handle the rough roads i have well and have stayed true even with the odd pot hole hit.

I'm not a good enough rider to notice a difference in speed or stiffness or even weight but they where a 1 year smoke free gift. I'll do one road race with them but its only a local fundrasier so they will probably be the best wheels on the course or one of them.

We ordered them from ribble and got them for under $300 canadian....better than what i can get them for through staff deal from the distributor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I cant speak for the R5's, but I do have the R4's. After over 2,500 miles, they are still true and smooth as ever....and I am 200lbs.